1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Diablo III / 3

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by GreenFrog, Mar 24, 2012.

1. Ahab

Ahab Senior member

I had not beaten Diablo 5 days after the game launch. Shit, I could not even get past certain bosses solo 5 days after launch. Now I am halfway through nightmare. Solo.:nodding:

2. skitlets

skitlets Senior member

They sped up the leveling process. It's a wow-like design philosophy. Get people to max level asap so they can grind out end-game stuff. Instead of raids, we have inferno mode. Speaking of which, I really hate how they wow-ified the bosses. Separate encounters that you have to click accept, cheesy cut-scenes before (AND DURING??) the fight.

I wonder how long I will be playing D3. Game design has come a long ways since D2 was on the scene. I played that for years, getting multiple chars to the high 90s by doing nothing but meph, cow levels, and later baal. Will gamers continue to grind? I got disgusted by the wow grind. I won't pvp much in D3. I played high level arenas in WoW for 3 seasons and Blizzard was awful at balancing it. I'm gonna save myself the headache and not deal with it this time around.

I've been doing 5-6 warden/butcher runs a day this week and I'm getting bored. Act 2 is still too hard...

3. jarude

jarude Senior member

are you kidding me? you're unable to qualify anything you said after i posted criticism of your opinions so you choose to ignore it based on something completely arbitrary and unrelated. cool story bro.

you beating d3 5 days after launch is more a function of you not having to spend fucking hours doing tedious busywork, like looking for the staff in a2, which was really awesome right? i know everybody just loved finding the next level of maggot lair and endlessly zealing tunnels full of maggot spawn. and everyone forgets about act3 because the durance wp let you conveniently forget about the misery of that act.

there is a difference between questing and runs. crushing one particular area repeatedly is a run; having to quest is not a run. bliz nerfed boss drops so you will not see people repeatedly running bosses. are you implying d2's story was not weak? and that you actually cared about it? and this somehow has some effect on you wanting to do endless cow runs?

dude, you sound like every other sore-assed kid crying in the bnet forums that d3 isnt d2. if its really that bad, then stop playing it. you're complaining that "this is the size of the game and nothing new adds to it.." you have admittedly not even completed NM, with an extra level of difficulty from d2 in inferno, the game hasnt even been out for 10 days and you're saying the lack of content immediately invalidates every rebuttal that i have to your parroted criticism?

you are either trolling or you are immensely stupid. once you can actually respond to my criticism of your points, i'll take you seriously - until then, your words have zero weight.

Last edited: May 24, 2012
  4. AR_Six

AR_Six Senior member

It doesn't take long before the followers become pretty useless and a non-factor in any fight. In Normal they were helpful until like... late act II. After which, your sub-100 DPS just isn't doing anything for me. Really could use a tweak. You only have, effectively, 4-5 slots, depending on the char, to bump their attributes so they can do a little more damage and take more of a beating. They could either make helper gear way more powerful (i.e. provides benefits of 3 items instead of 1) or just pad the stat progression of the guys. I don't care if they're only half as good as my dude, but they should at least be better than the monsters I'm fighting.

5. Kuki

Kuki Senior member

D3 dueling will never become as bad as endgame D2 dueling. Period.

Every hammerdin running gmod,aa,chicken,and auto tp. People would even do flashmods making your screen black.. Oh yeah don't forget the teaming up 4vs1 that was fun too.

It was truly terrible.

6. ConcernedParent

ConcernedParent Senior member

This I feel like this might be a problem. The game still feels very diablo-ey, but RPG's have progressed so much from 2000 that the casual gamer now would find the grind unfun, whereas the casual gamer then had no real alternative. Of course even in 3-4 years there is going to be a playerbase, but it will be much much smaller and consisting of hardcore gamers that transplant from other grindfest rpg's and old school diablo/2 fans.

7. Ahab

Ahab Senior member

]I ignored most of your points because they were pointless to me. What you call tedious busy work is actually the game. I do not know what the difference is between a run and a quest. Sounds like you have succumbed to marketing. Seems the same to me.

I do agree that D2's story was totally weak. But the type of game it is (Rogue like game) made that totally just fluff to me.

So let me ask you. I max my character out at 60(?) within the next week. What do I do?

In D2 it took me a long time to max my level out even before the LOD add-on. Now I will be maxed out within 2 weeks of light playing and questing (not doing runs) but doing the same quests over and over.

I have completely beat the game in normal. That basically gave me the whole layout of the game. I am on nightmare and now I know what comes after the bosses so even that bit of wonder is gone.

8. Ahab

Ahab Senior member

I never dueled in D2. I just played PVM. I am not sure I maxed one char in LOD but put in a lot of hours trying to. :)

9. Kuki

Kuki Senior member

Don't worry there were baalbots for that, chars that ran hell baal all day and night with 7 leechers that just sat there so max exp for everyone.

Fun fact 98->99 was 4000 hell baal runs w/ 7 chars

10. Ahab

Ahab Senior member

The problem with your weak assed arguments is that you cannot tell people that the game is fun. People either think the game is fun or not. YOU may think the game is fun and the next best thing since The One Shoe but if other people do not then calling them sore-assed crying kids is not going to change that.

11. Ahab

Ahab Senior member

I never made it to 99. Not once. :(

I will be 60 in this game by the end of next weekend. :slayer:

12. jarude

jarude Senior member

sounds like you have succumbed to "wah wah d3 is not d2" because you are still unable to qualify your opinions. if you argue that d3's skill system is objectively worse than d2's, prove it. you said its lacks customization; i point out the inherent fallacy of customization in the d2 skill system. care to back it up? no, you can't.

if d2's story was weak, why are you ripping on d3 for having a weak story and somehow using that as justification that playing through d3 is lame?

let's play "answer your own question with the information you already know." how do you progress after level 60? well, what did progress from 60-99 in d2 entail? getting skill points. how does the skill system in d3 scale? with items and DPS. how do you progress past 60? better items = better skills. therefore, get items. how do you get items? by playing the damn game. so no, you will not be maxed out after one week.

and by beating the game in normal in d2 you already knew the whole layout of the game.

you have no basis for any of your whining. keep your unoriginal qq'ing bullshit to bnet forums. i'm done here.

1 person likes this.
  13. Imhoff

Imhoff Senior member

So is the level cap in D3 60??

14. skitlets

skitlets Senior member

Inferno. It is no joke. If you play it the way it is intended, it will take you a long time. I've been trying to tackle it legitimately and I just can't do it. Brick walls everywhere until you gear up enough.

The end-game isn't hitting 60. Like WoW, the end-game is maxxing out your character via gear. Every Act in Inferno has different tiered loot.
    Act 1 - 16

Act 4 - 18.

15. jarude

jarude Senior member

maybe you should read what i wrote in my original post:

maybe you should get back to that and differentiate between me crushing your parroted criticisms based on faulty premises and me openly admitting that it eventually comes down to whatever floats your boat.

you bitching about no customization when d2 really had no customization = objective, something you can't or won't respond to, making you just like every other qq'er

you wanting to do runs instead of play through a game; or, what makes a game fun = subjective, or something that you're hiding behind and using to refute what i'm telling you

seriously done with this now.

16. b1os

b1os Senior member

I'm level 43, he's 41 or 42 and has a 37 shield, playing A2 nm (now A3).

17. Ahab

Ahab Senior member

The skill system seems to be much less robust. I am not sure how many different builds there were in D2. I had a boltress and some other builds but with this system it seems like everyone will be pretty will setup their skills to whatever is good and then change them when those skills are nerfed. Cause you can keep changing skills at a whim.
    You are focusing on this because it is the only thing you can wrap your small head around. It is not really a problem. I do not care about the story in D3 and really did not in D2. But as weak as the story is I have beat the game and know pretty much how things unfold for all of the difficulty levels.....and the game has been out for just over a week or is that weak?
    So I will get new skills and be able to level past 60? :slayer:

Are there new skill trees or just new skills?
    you mean I do not know I am bored with this game yet? TTFN. Run away. LMAO

18. Ahab

Ahab Senior member

BTW, What is the difference between a quest and a run?

19. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member Dubiously Honored

Jeezus. If a difficulty level is too frustrating, you always have the choice to play an easier setting.

20. NoVaguy

NoVaguy Senior member

I think quests segments get done the first to open up the next level of the game, and runs are doing previously completed segments of the game for loot/experience.

Some quests may be one time only - and the end acts dropped better loot the first time. In lod, the drop calculators for diablo, mephisto, andariel, duriel and baal were different based on whether you were killing them for the first time or whether you were rerunning the level.