1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Diablo III / 3

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by GreenFrog, Mar 24, 2012.

1. whnay.

whnay. Senior member Dubiously Honored

I think about the games I remember most and they are share one thing in common - they were incredibly hard to beat / master. Just a few: Xcom (pc), first installments of RS6, counterstrike at a competitive level, and Dark Wizard (sega cd),

2. Ahab

Ahab Senior member

I cannot play offline AND they are going to shut down the servers on a whim? REALLY?

I think D2 was better when it came out than this now. I think that the replay value was, and still is, superior.

In D2 I could travel to any way point I had marked. Or I could be in a completely different act than someone else who I was playing with. I cannot do that in this game?

I liked the skill system in D2 much better than this system. It seemed more robust and allowed for more specialization and added to replay.

Only 4 people in multi-player? w00t?

I could skip cut scenes. Really, why do I have to escape out of cut scenes?

The maps on this seem very small. I completed normal and am halfway through nightmare and I am not playing that much.

It seems much more repetitive so far than D2 did at this point.

It does not seem that the maps are as random as D2.

Followers seem nerfed and almost useless.

Even if this game goes in more a PVP direction, which I expect, only 4 players per game stunts it. Sure the game will change. I am hoping they go with more updates with downloadable add-on packs but so far this is much less fun than D2 on launch. By the time the first add-on come out much of the community may have moved on. Also, the entire game seems like an add-on to a real game, not a stand alone epic.

3. whnay.

It does seem like an add on in many respects - at the same time the hacking and duping issues ruined D2 for me. It was an all out trinket war that bought out the worst in the gaming community.

I also don't agree with you on the skill system - the flexibility thats afforded in the new system is a lot more agile. At the height of its maturity only certain skill trees were being used by players. I don't think that will be the case this time around and the recently nerfing of SS, for example, is evidence of this....

Last edited: May 24, 2012
  4. nahneun

nahneun Senior member

lol surprisingly, i believe it was a danish guy who was the first confirmed inferno clear

5. whnay.

Looks like bnet is down for the moment - are they finally adding the character profiles to the site? If so, there goes my workday.

6. Ahab

Ahab Senior member

I really avoided most of that. I played with friends mostly at first them we were done with the game. 6 months - a year later I went back and did solo online at my pace. I would only join MP games to do runs and get good equipment.

In D2 you could start a char and then do cow runs to get some good starting equipment and then solo until you leveled up for the later runs. Made starting a new char really easy.

7. whnay.

I don't disagree but at the same time I think it should be a little challenging at the beginning - tedious at times to be sure but a good 8 hours of gameplay usually gets you into the mid-20s level and access to cool gear.

I think things like the shared stash and gold, the AH (not real money), player specific gold/weapon drops, and the level up skill system are great steps for the franchise. Things that I think will be fixed over time will include character balancing, legendary weapon uniquness, and hopefully more level randomness. If D2 is any indication, its not as if Blizzard is unwiling to make changes.

Last edited: May 24, 2012
  8. Ahab

Ahab Senior member

I know Blizzard will change and add to it but the small(ish) maps and lack of challenge REALLY concern me. I expect that the game will have higher levels in future add on's as well. But the skill system? :barf:

9. skitlets

skitlets Senior member

You make some valid points but I disagree with a few. The maps definitely feel larger on D3. Most of the dungeon/cathedral levels just go on forever.

The follower spells are pretty damn useful. I think they make soloing easier than playing in groups of 3/4. Solo or duo is the way to go, imo. (For inferno) The other difficulties are very easy in comparison.

10. Ahab

Ahab Senior member

Some of those desert maps in Act II of D2 went on forever. OMG, if you did not find the waypoint you could be walking around for half an hour.

But I have a question. I have the Templar(?) follower. Can I direct him to heal me? He really seems to be worthless in this but I have not had enough of a challenge to care about him except that he takes a beating like a champ.

11. skitlets

skitlets Senior member

Totally agree.. jesus act 2 and the jungle of act 3. The map didn't help because you couldn't tell when one zone ended and another started.

Followers are totally automated, can't choose what to prioritize for heals. They are good tanks. I prefer the enchantress for the CC. The knockback, armor buff, and aoe hex are too good to pass up.

12. Ahab

Ahab Senior member

Thanks! I am going to try a Barb when I get my sorcerer to 60. Then I will go with the enchantress. I do not like the way the the Scoundrel looks at Leah. :paranoia:

13. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member Dubiously Honored

Every time I think I've succeeded in turning my monk into a badass, I get to the next act and find out his dick is limp.

14. jarude

jarude Senior member

in order... i hope i dont sound too harsh, i dont mean to be but this is very typical of a vast majority of the QQ about d3 that isn't well-founded. online-only drm. blame piracy; if i had incredibly valuable IP that was getting lifted, i would implement this as well. im sure if it was your IP that you were selling, you'd want security too. d2 was better when it came out how? can you quantify it? the game scaled extremely poorly, especially in d2c; niggling little things like no mana leech on a barb early on, no partial set bonuses, etc. not to mention how absolutely broken some builds were. firewall sorc, anyone? the waypoint system is altered to encourage questing, rather than having your game cleaned out by a lvl 90 mf sorc who wanted the 8 player boost to their exp/drop rates. why would you want to jump ahead an act, anyways? to pre-clear an act for a rush, or to mf? i get the play with friends thing, but i really dont see this as an issue. if you want to play with friends, play with your friends in the same game. if you dont want to do the same quests, chat with them using your friends list. the skill system is a huge improvement. every single build in d2 was max primary skill, max secondary skill, rest of points into synergies. how is that customization? so one hammerdin will have one more point in holy shield than the next hammerdin who has 1 more point in a concentration synergy? i do not buy this "customization" argument for a second. as for non-standard builds, like a bow paladin, they were so ridiculously gear dependent that the skill build was an absolute afterthought. not to mention you are completely 100% able to use a deadly reach monk, or a frenzy barb, or an impale DH. nothing is stopping you from staying with a particular skill layout. 4 players has a huge impact on the difficulty of the game and how it scales. not just the number of players killing stuff, but the type - only 4/5 potential classes. well, 4/4 right now, since the WD doesn't really exist. the map design is objectively better. arreat crater and the sin hearts? totally kickass. if you say the maps are small, you haven't been through the keep depths. as other people have alluded to, there's no WP searching in ridiculous areas like a2 or a3, where the maps are largely big open spaces of.. nothing. there are enough maze dungeons to keep you happy and enough guided areas ala sin hearts area to facilitate constant action. followers were broken in d2. 90% of them were a2 mercs, 8% were a5 mercs, and 2% a1/a3. when bliz released a polearm runeword with meditation aura on it... eugh. that is horseshit; why not call the runeword "this is why everyone in the game will use an a2 merc for the rest of forever." enchantress can actually hurt, and both her and the templar have a lot of utility in terms of stuns, heals, or disables. can't speak too much about the scoundrel, though. absolutely nothing is known about pvp at this point except that it will be a separate game mode; you could not possibly assert that it will only have a 4 player limit with any amount of certainty. i am glad they're taking their time to fully flesh out their ideas and create a separate moderated environment for it. and for the last point.. are you kidding me? people move on from blizzard games? not likely. the 3% of people who actively hate on this game and spend their days downrating it on metacritic are far outweighed by the 97% who are having one hell of a good time with it.
    this is pretty subjective, as i cant decide what makes a game fun for you, but the idea of a "run" is atrocious to me. i would much rather quest/play through the game than get rushed and do endless "runs." it really destroys the game; whats the point of playing? so you can level up doing runs and then once you've gotten high enough to use your good gear... what do you do now? more runs? lame. even if you didn't get hell rushed to leech in cows, the d2 formula was: arcane runs lvl 20 ancients brought you to lvl 25 bloody / baal runs until 40, get through nm lvl 40 nm ancients brought you to lvl 47 47+ nm baal runs or start to grind nm meph for items after that you ended up in hellcows or uber tristram, depending on what your character was. sorry, i dont mean to sound caustic, but outside of the knee-jerk reactions to it, blizzard has done an excellent job of keeping what made d2 fun - insane clicking action - and updating it into a smoother, more tactile experience.

15. Ahab

Ahab Senior member

I can pretty much dismiss everything else you said, if this is the entire size of the game and nothing new adds to it this will get stale fast. But do you not think this game will devolve into runs? I mean the story is weak, which I really could care less about, but what do you do when you have beaten it with every character class? I have already seen info on people doing runs.

16. Ahab

Ahab Senior member

The problem is that you need 5 of the exact same monk. One for each day. The one monk. :foo:

1 person likes this.
  17. b1os

b1os Senior member

Why the fuck is my templar ripping so fast? He dies like every single fight.

18. nahneun

nahneun Senior member

what mode are you playing and have you upgraded his equipment

19. NoVaguy

NoVaguy Senior member

No. Assume you are being tracked. Just take a personal laptop with you on the road. If weight is a problem, look into something like an AMD A10 quasi-ultrabook when they hopefully come out next month. Reports are out that the trinity is able to play diablo III on the integrated graphics.

20. ConcernedParent

ConcernedParent Senior member

I disagree. We forget how repetitive D2 was; the play trajectory was essentially...

Quest/level normally to end or get rushed
    then
    Grind levels in cowlevel or farm mephisto

Diablo is one of those inexplicably fun games. You'd be doing the same run over and over, for a very limited goal (ladder, elite items, dueling maybe... that's about it) and still continue playing anyway. There was no expansive end-game content like WoW raids or highly competitive Pvp like Guild Wars.