1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Diablo III / 3

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by GreenFrog, Mar 24, 2012.

1. b1os

b1os Senior member

Need to sell much more in the AH, too. Just sold a good rare item for 50k (42k after fee) as opposed to 300g from the merch. I guess I'll just sell better items because of the 10-auctions-at-a-time-limit though. Haven't bought any equip for me yet.

2. otc

otc Senior member

I think it is standard for blizzard to reserve tuesday mornings for maintenance periods on all of their games. I haven't played WoW in years, but I remember this being true even then--realms would go down at like 4AM or something. They wouldn't always take the full period that was blocked off, but I think they made a habit of always doing a reboot or something just so people are used to tuesday maintenance and don't plan huge raids at 4AM.

It will be interesting to study the economy. The prevalence of random goods (vs WoW where goods come from a set loot table) makes it hard to necessarily value items well since you have to look at all of the stats rather than look at the name and know what it is. Even in D2 before they really enhanced sockets and rare items, you would get a ton of almost identical items (I remember my zon going through 3-4 different Buriza-Do unique crossbows since the damage was still random and you would occasionally find one with a little higher max damage).
    There are other items that are identical (gems/crafting bits) which seem to fluctuate wildly as the market evolves.

Now we have an inherently inflationary currency (blizzard removes 15% from the market on every transaction but I pick up that much gold in 10 minutes of playing) and we are about to add in real money. How much stuff is going to move to the RMAH when people decide they want to try and cash in on their rares? At the same time, how many people are going to pay real money for leveling-gear? I can see someone paying for some 60 gear (although it sort of defeats the purpose of the game which is essentially a loot hunt once you beat it) but for some level 30 junk on your 4th character? So the low level stuff probably won't do well at real money--but will the prices inflate because now people aren't getting gold for their high level items (since they instead try to get cash) and so they need to get gold for other things by selling low level rares at high prices in the AH?

3. jarude

jarude Senior member

pvp will dictate the course of the economy when it comes out. this is clearly all speculation as pvp won't be here for awhile, but im betting there will be certain staple items for different classes - buriza, anyone? i wouldnt be surprised to see endgame pvp gear with perfect mods (ie. strength boost on a 2h sword) to go for ridiculous amounts. i think a lot of people turned to pvp in d2 once they got bored of hell cows or uber tristram and the ultra-rich would pay money for a perfect torch or a godly rare circlet or whatever would give them the tiniest incremental benefit over the next guy. considering how accessible godly loot will be through the AH, i think we'll see a lot of pvpers shell out the big bucks for the best stuff.

Last edited: May 22, 2012
  4. jarude

jarude Senior member

ugh, just got hacked. all my gear, gold, and stash was completely cleaned out.

edit: looks like the SHTF, blizz thread on the issue started 13 hours ago and a ton of people are complaining.

5. AR_Six

AR_Six Senior member

Indeed. It will also be interesting to see what Blizzard does to regulate this, i.e. the introduction of new enhancements like runes and such, or new legendaries. Right now legendaries are apparently worth a ton of gold on the AH, I have to wonder if this will self-regulate. I also note that those items vary wildly in stats themselves, which is somewhat odd. I.e. look for an Azurewrath Runeblade (would love to use one of those suckers, bet it looks damned cool) and you'll find them with stated DPS ranging from 580-680.
    This is a big question because they need to ensure that gold is NOT inherently inflationary. This may require upping he AH fee to 25%, but remember that's not the only gold sink out there. They could also up the cost to craft, or combine gems. Although the prices for gems suggest to me that it'll be easier to buy on AH than to craft for many people. You can imagine a scenario where gold is so devalued that people start using Stars as currency.

6. Imhoff

Imhoff Senior member

Really?? Man that suuuuuucks! :fu:

7. jarude

jarude Senior member

yes. sign up for authentication NOW, either via text alerts or android/iphone app. skimming through the bliz thread, it seems that the official line from blizzard is...

-nobody with authentication enabled has been hacked; multiple people in the bliz thread are claiming the opposite

-all hacked accounts were done so via traditional username/password access, therefore blizzard has not been "hacked" or the account has not been technically "compromised." really don't understand this - how would anybody be able to know my username login, let alone my password without using some form of bug/exploit/script/hack/whatever?

to be perfectly honest, i'm not enraged - i'm honestly quite interested to see how this turns out. i just opened a support ticket so we'll see how it turns out; a lot of people have been reporting that since there was no "hacking," only username/password access, they did not get a rollback or any form of restitution. considering that this seems to be some form of co-ordinated attack or opening of the floodgates, im hoping bliz will do a blanket reset, but i'm not holding my breath.

so yeah, go sign up now for authentication. don't get burned. IKnowKungFu is now poor and naked at level 50. :(

8. Imhoff

Imhoff Senior member

Man, that is awful. I aven't installed or played my copy yet. But when I do, I guess authenticating is my #1 priority.

And you are right, it doesn't make sense that the hacker would just randomly guess user names and passwords. Your hunch about there being some sort of exploit is probably correct.

9. AR_Six

AR_Six Senior member

Hah! Here's to being too poor and crappy to be worth anyone's time to hack!

Also where did your stuff actually go? It's gone from your dude, but to where? You'd think they'd be able to tell where it ended up and figure out who's doing this.

10. jarude

jarude Senior member

anyone posting on blizz forums about it immediately gets accused of being keylogged. i dunno, i have the best AV and its always on and updated; i know thats not a guarantee, but still. considering this is some kind of en-masse compromise, i think its systemic.

its just... not there. even my gold - which you can't even physically move around or do anything with as you can with other items - is gone too. dunno WTF is going on... maybe it has something to do with the auction house?

and most of my gear was crap, too.

11. Kuki

Kuki Senior member

Fire chains arcane teleporting mob.... Im a monk, shits so unfair. Was even spamming MoH with BoP just couldn't generate enough spirit to keep it up.

12. gort

gort Senior member

Killed butcher on nightmare. Bought some upgrades off the AH for my wizard and I am ripping shit up. :slayer:

13. whnay.

whnay. Senior member Dubiously Honored

Sucks about the hax - just downloaded the authenticator, we'll see if it works.

14. otc

otc Senior member

Added an authenticator to my account...hope nothing has happened yet (although some of the stories make it sound like it is a hack in the game so they aren't actually logging into your account).

15. skitlets

skitlets Senior member

Authenticator won't help with this specific hack. Multiple people have suggested that their ID sessions were spoofed in a public game, as they were hacked and had authenticators. Spoofing the ID session bypasses all of the log-in steps, so they don't even need your password.

16. gort

gort Senior member

I'm skeptical but we'll see if that's really the case.

17. whnay.

whnay. Senior member Dubiously Honored

That's why I only play non-public games with friends.

18. jarude

jarude Senior member

seems like a fair number of people have done this and still gotten hacked. then again, that's taking bnet forum posts at face value, so who can tell for sure?

either way, this seems to be at a big enough scale that i hope bliz does a rollback. i'm not going to play the game any further until i get some kind of answer about the situation, but considering all of this account shenanigans has come on the eve of the RMAH coming online i bet there is a huge kind of clusterfuck going on at blizzard right now.

19. nahneun

nahneun Senior member

this is wrong.

all hacks were done server side by exploiting your session id. login/pass aren't required. they basically get a level 1 into your game and trade your gold.

20. chogall

chogall Senior member

monk sucks. spirit generation only happens in melee range. and most aoe happens in melee range. dps is low as well. its a tank wannabe poor dps class.