Diablo III / 3

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by GreenFrog, Mar 24, 2012.

1. jarude

jarude Senior member

the difficulty scales so that players should be either at or near level 60 (max level) at the end of hell difficulty, leaving inferno with a flat difficulty curve throughout.. this means act1 inferno will be equivalent in difficulty to act 4 inferno. due to this, and since there won't be any "run" business needed to max out your character level, "the grind" is gone. it's a very simple way to get people to play through the game again rather than grind down certain convenient high-exp areas. MF has been changed also; act bosses or superuniques won't have any better drops than random champion packs scattered throughout the game. with that change to MF, there won't be any specific advantage in terms of experience or item drops from running a particular boss over and over.

will certain players gravitate towards only replaying certain portions of the game? sure, but there is literally no upside to doing so. to the contrary, the nephalem valor buff will make it more productive in terms of the outcomes of "grinding" to continue playing through a single game as opposed to running a particular area. that buff gives a bonus to MF when you kill a rare/champion monster which stays on your character as long as you stay in the game and do not change any skill/rune choices.

"the grind" is now "playing the game." the old grind of countless baal/meph/whatever runs for either xp or loot are gone.

2. hoozah

hoozah Senior member

But that was the best part of D2.

3. yjeezle

yjeezle Senior member

i don't think you're understanding what i'm saying...

by "grind" i mean... you're going to be either: gathering mats for crafting or doing runs. those will always exist in a game where sooner or later your elite tier population is going to try to min/max their characters.

4. jarude

jarude Senior member

i beg to differ... i wonder how many people have durance lvl 2 and 3 layouts memorized.

we're talking about two different things here.. you're implying anyone playing the game for the sake of maxing out is grinding. i'm saying anyone who's repeatedly doing MF runs or exp runs of any one set area in the game for the sake of maxing out is grinding.

here's the thing though - given the changes to exp, level scaling, MF, and inferno, at what point does "playing the game" become "grinding?" if people are playing inferno to simply to max out, but there is less of a benefit to completing one area repeatedly versus playing through larger portions of teh game, how is that a "grind" and not "playing the game?" if you are repeatedly running one specific area, ie. baal for the simple purpose of increased exp and better drops, you are grinding. the game mechanics removed any benefit to doing this and instead attached the grinding benefit to playing through larger areas.

do you see what im getting at? there are no "runs" because there's no one set ultimate area that provides the best in loot and experience. there's no grinding for crafting materials since AFAIK endgame MF and item drops will be consistent across the difficulty. how can people "grind" if they are "grinding" the entire game? at the absolute very least, the player's game experience will be widened beyond meph, baal, and tristram runs. in terms of outcomes, players will be better rewarded for playing through larger portions of the game, and penalized for doing repeated runs.

by your definition, people will still be "grinding," but they won't be only replaying .5% of the total game repeatedly (meph runs) for gear that they can use in... .5% of the game (uber tristram runs). you can still call it grinding, but the mechanics of the game will ensure the mind-numbing repetition, brutally tiny scale and ultimate pointlessness of D2 are gone. if it's a grind, its a fun grind.

5. hoozah

hoozah Senior member

grinding is doing the same thing over and over to achieve something, whether it be max level, max experience or max cash. Playing a game from start to finish to do this isn't grinding, but playing a quest/act/portion of the game is, especially if it gives extra XP. There is obviously going to be funner parts of the game and people will do rushes for these (maybe an act boss or mini boss like siegebreaker, 1,000 lber). If it's how jarude says it's going to be, I'll most likely play from start2finish.

6. nerdykarim

nerdykarim Senior member

They actually created a patch change specifically to prevent people from memorizing the Durance 2 variants. I definitely had them all memorized pre-patch, but I don't know if it was possible to memorize afterwards.

I am really looking forward to this one.

7. jarude

jarude Senior member

agreed - im sure there will be some areas that have a favourable combination of quest XP rewards, navigable terrain, and abundance of boss/champion packs. with that said, in terms of the big picture pretty much every system in the game is designed to encourage players to just quest through the game without having them be less efficient than their baal-running counterparts.

i think in all layouts save one, continuously teleporting to the right would bring you to lvl 3 pretty quickly. i didn't play a lot after the later patches when godly runewords broke the game.

8. yjeezle

yjeezle Senior member

this is exactly what i'm saying...

although i do see your point jarude.

dangit... 5/15 can't come soon enough.

9. fir3fox

fir3fox Senior member

What are you guys doing to pass the time until the 15th?

I've been trying to keep myself occupied but it hasn't been working.

Just been reading about people bitching about the RMAH.

10. hoozah

hoozah Senior member

Same old grind. Work, work, work. I have a work dinner Monday night, (thank god it's the 14th and not the 15th)

11. driveslowk

driveslowk Senior member

I did a digital preorder so I can play at midnight. Going to NY for a while starting the 15th :(.

12. Imhoff

Imhoff Senior member

I will be trying to build a computer to pass the time. Ordered the game through Amazon, it will be sitting on my doorstep until I return back from vacation. :facepalm:

13. jarude

jarude Senior member

playing through d2 again. god, does it ever feel like work. i had to will myself through act 2... ugh, that feeling when you clear every direction in the arcane sanctum before finding the real one. also, people always forget how miserable act 3 can be since the durance WP lets you skip all the work.

if you haven't done so already, give the eastern sun mod a runthrough. adds some fun new dungeons, items, and changes the skills a lot. good for a couple weeks before d3 hits.

10 days; one week from this coming tuesday. :fu:

Last edited: May 3, 2012

14. jarude

jarude Senior member

evidently inferno is going to be stupid difficult. they've been going on about how inferno will be hard, your character will die, etc. but its looking to be ridiculously incredibly hard to play through. it depends on how your character/gear scales with the monsters, but based on some of the information available, even completing inferno might actually be a seriously impressive achievement in its own right.

in hell, an "accursed" monster has 5k-11k health and does a minimum of 3k damage per hit. in inferno, that goes up to 28k-56k health and 26k damage per hit; a boss of this type can weigh in with 1700k hp. again, this means little without knowing what kind of stats and skills your character will have, but that is a steep, steep scale. im pretty excited for this; hardcore inferno will be a very tense experience.

Last edited: May 6, 2012

15. worakl

worakl Senior member

Hardcore inferno will be impossible. Then it will get nerfed.