• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dhani Jones Tackles the Globe / Five Star Ties appreciation thread.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
http://www.fivestarties.com/

I just found out that Dhani Jones of the Cinci Bungles and one of the two shows I watch regularly, Dhani Tackles The Globe on the Travel Channel owns a bow tie company, Five Star Ties.

I think he dresses fairly well, esp. for an NFL player (at least on the show), and seems like a pretty cool guy.

Thoughts? Anyone else watching? Anyone own any Five Star bowties?

dhani_jones-286x400.jpg

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i'm watching. always thought he was a charismatic guy...until i started watching this.

Philosoph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He seems like a nice enough guy, but this show is pretty bad, and entirely superficial.

Cultural interaction FAIL.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I dunno, I like the show.

cheessus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Black people don't eat bugs!

spence

Reaction score
It's not a great show, but some of the episodes are pretty good. It has a Bobby Flay Throwdown appeal to it, where you get to see him get his ass kicked by people in other sports.

I give it a B.

-spence

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
What I like about the show is that it features sports like jai-alai and hurling, which I have barely heard of and have never seen played. I like the modicum of history and some indication of how seriously people around the world are about these sports that will never get any mention on American television.
smile.gif

The fact that he tries to become relatively proficient in a short amount of time, usually fails, and is forced to rely mostly on his natural athleticism and instincts in order to not completely embarrass himself is somewhat charming imo.

I take it that nobody owns any of his ties.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
we play hurling in the yard with the kids. seriously, everything was shipped over from our cousin in ireland.

life_interrupts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Never seen the show, but I like what I've read about Dhani since he was drafted out of Michigan. And Philosoph, it's entertainment, of course it's superficial.

Philosoph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Superficial was probably the wrong word. He just seems unable to make any real effort to understand where he is or what he's doing.

But yes, it's entertainment and I was't expecting anything else.

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love the show. Watch it every week. I like that he really immerses himself in the sport and his natural athletic ability usually let's him play the sport fairly well.

It's my favorite show to watch on Mondays.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
we play hurling in the yard with the kids. seriously, everything was shipped over from our cousin in ireland.
I love hurling. (Disclaimer: I am too much of a ***** to actually play it)

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by texas_jack
I've been watching this show but today's episode in Russia is the best one yet. There was no awkwardness as it seems the russians have atemperament similar to Dhani and the sports seemed completely uncontrived.

+1

Kinda makes me want to go take some Sambo classes actually.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags. Season 2 is coming...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads