• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Devoa Enthusiasts

5pyro5

Reaction score
Konnichiwa!

Time somebody started this thread before we colonize Mars.

The usual stuff: Fit pics / size advice / bargains / research / and all things Devoa

Not sure if this can be ''the official appreciation *insert brand name* thread''. I guess we could rename it down the road?

Let me set the tone with aw2015 scarf which was my first Devoa piece:

Which was your very first Devoa piece?
On your marks...
Get set..
Post!

Lohikaarme

Reaction score
My first was some season's samurai belt. I think I got it off an auction around 2014? It was burgundy but I dyed the front part black. Since then I've bought and sold way too many Devoa pieces.

Shoes are still a damn mystery and the sizing changed a few seasons ago which makes life so fun when looking second-hand since this is one of the few brands where the measurements can actually be deceiving.

oulipien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
first might have been the ss17 "plasma" wool suit, in which I unwisely thought I could chance the size 3 pants. I sort of can, but 4 would have been much better; sadly totally unavailable by the time that became apparent. Oh well!

nakasa

Reaction score
Konnichiwa!

Time somebody started this thread before we colonize Mars.

The usual stuff: Fit pics / size advice / bargains / research / and all things Devoa

Not sure if this can be ''the official appreciation *insert brand name* thread''. I guess we could rename it down the road?

Let me set the tone with aw2015 scarf which was my first Devoa piece:

View attachment 1255433

Which was your very first Devoa piece?
On your marks...
Get set..
Post!

Hi buddy, ah that is good too, but for me it was long length coat (black).

Regards,
Nasaka Smith

5pyro5

Reaction score
first might have been the ss17 "plasma" wool suit, in which I unwisely thought I could chance the size 3 pants. I sort of can, but 4 would have been much better; sadly totally unavailable by the time that became apparent. Oh well!

Great stuff sir you are not alone...i too bought my first three pairs of trousers in size 2 turns out am size 3 ?

Hi buddy, ah that is good too, but for me it was long length coat (black).

Regards,
Nasaka Smith

Let’s see it agent Smith

Lohikaarme

Reaction score

Think you can sort of hack it by having a tailor add a sort of v-cut into the back (like the classical menswear stuff) and add some elastic or another fabric to the back to essentially expand it if the waist is your only issue?

oulipien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ha, maybe. The cut is so unusual (and there's nothing to take out, unsurprisingly) that I had sort of ruled out any alterations. But I guess there's no harm in asking.

OverdressedNW

Reaction score
No fit pic for me but I thought I'd start some discussion on the designer behind Devoa (Daisuke Nishida).

I was lucky enough to sit down with him for an interview a few weeks ago (I write for a regional luxury lifestyle publication).

To no surprise, he is a super chill guy. What's super interesting is his path to becoming a designer, and what influences him and his clothing.

To my understanding (the interview was done through a translator), his path to starting Devoa went something like this:

- Wrestler / MMA athlete and instructor
- Anatomy instructor for medical students
- Decides he wants to become a fashion designer (but doesn't seek any formal education)
- Develops a sort of "concept journal" with design ideas that inform the brand's concept to this day
- Launches Devoa. Small and loyal StyleForum community springs up.

One of his most interesting influences is Andreas Vesalius, a 16th-century figure who is known as the grandfather of anatomy. His drawings were some of the most detailed and accurate at the time, and Daisuke references back to them a lot on his website and designs.

Vesalius was known for making certain proportions of the human body inaccurately long and lithe, and no one quite knows why.

Daisuke emulates this with trousers that are cut to make the legs look longer and his knowledge of anatomy allows him to make clothes that are ridiculously ergonomic.

Anyways, he is touring around with a mobile exhibition of art to show off alongside his clothes, so if anyone is in Paris they should keep an eye out for the guy.

Last edited:

5pyro5

Reaction score
Very insightful indeed @OverdressedNW

The only interview that I am aware of is an extensive one for Fascinate.

Glad that you posted here man lets keep up with the research ??

OverdressedNW

Reaction score
@5pyro5, that fascinate article is great.

I would recommend giving this article a read. It shows off his workshop in the Tokyo suburbs. Really cool piece.

I'll be sure to link my article when it gets finished up!

OverdressedNW

Reaction score
Not my first piece yet but definitely on the list.

4 Way Stretch Wool Trench Coat

Wool fabric sourced from Faliero Sarti (Florence, IT).

Collage of photos by photographer Ichimura Norihisa on the back.

Attachments

• 15ACC977-3C5F-4908-A8D0-F4AB649FE789.jpeg
    15ACC977-3C5F-4908-A8D0-F4AB649FE789.jpeg
    186.4 KB · Views: 94
  • 20191026_134601_preview.jpeg
    20191026_134601_preview.jpeg
    34.2 KB · Views: 142

5pyro5

Reaction score
Not my first piece yet but definitely on the list.

4 Way Stretch Wool Trench Coat

Wool fabric sourced from Faliero Sarti (Florence, IT).

Collage of photos by photographer Ichimura Norihisa on the back.

Great fit!

Not a piece I would look out for since its got prints yet still.

Sometimes the direction of designs get me totally off-guard since he never used prints whatsoever and avantgardists dont approve them in general my self included.
I guess its good get some variety going...mix things up a bit.

OverdressedNW

Reaction score
Here's the article ya'll. 5pyro5, I never got a chance to ask him about the significance of the prints for him, specifically the photographer Ichimura Norihasa.

Maybe the prints wouldn't be my first choice either, but the jacket fits too damn nice for me to complain about it haha,

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads