• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Developing my own taste?

ImKant

Reaction score
Hello, everybody.

I have recently found out, that it actually matters what you look like, and how you dress. I've started to read more about the psychology of how you dress and I've found it to be very interesting.

For the past year or two I've really started to try and look 'good' (including my haircut and wearing cologne). And I must say, it improved my self-confidence, because of me liking the way I look. But also the positive reactions of the people around me. I quite enjoy it.
tounge.gif

My girlfriend helps me with my clothes, she's actually deciding what I wear etc.. and even though I am sceptical about those decisions at first, I try it anyway and end up getting used to it and liking, even loving it. And well, that's great, right?

But, I'm having a hard time figuring out what really looks 'good'. And what makes those jeans, or that shirt look good on me.. So, I have a few questions which you possibly can answer.

1. I know that what 'looks good' depends on your body, hair and eyes, right? But what is it, how is it, that my girlfriend can pick up a few clothing items for me to wear, as if it's magic, because it does look good. I mean, how does she, how do you, choose?

2. Ok, so I have no sense taste (yet). Is it possible that this grows on me. Just like the main character in The Devil Wears Prada? If so, then how?

3. To look good, you have to follow the trends. Is this true? Or can I ignore what is fashionable and still dress well?

4. Are there general fashion tips, one should always follow? Are there any books I can read about this, or do you have some general tips, or links even?

5. Colour psychology. Has anybody read any books, or could give me some information about the effects of the different colours that you wear on your mood, or even, the moods of others? I.e. Red --> Attention seeker. Black --> The opposite?

As you will have noticed. I am completely new here. I hope you can answer some of my questions. Thanks, in advance.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Seriously, just immerse yourself. Read a lot of SF, check out the WAYWT threads. See what you like. Page through GQ's ads and see what fits look good to you. I went from clueless to (in my humble opinion) a good judge of fit in a year or so. You will know you are there when you pretty much size everyone up as you walk by on the street and are genuinely surprised to see a decent fit.

EDIT: Most of the topics you bring up have been discussed in detail here. Do a search and you should have a lot of good info at your fingertips.

Berticus

Reaction score
Someone should work on the wiki here so people don't have to search. Would definitely be a convenient place for newbs to stop by.

ImKant

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
Seriously, just immerse yourself. Read a lot of SF, check out the WAYWT threads. See what you like. Page through GQ's ads and see what fits look good to you. I went from clueless to (in my humble opinion) a good judge of fit in a year or so. You will know you are there when you pretty much size everyone up as you walk by on the street and are genuinely surprised to see a decent fit.

EDIT: Most of the topics you bring up have been discussed in detail here. Do a search and you should have a lot of good info at your fingertips.

I see, just by browsing the forum? Thanks for the tip, I will read here more then!

The problem with looking at pictures on this forum, or paging through the GQ ads is that I just don't know what fits look good on me, by looking at those pictures. I can't explain it, it's like I can't really imagine myself wearing the outfit, or if it would look good on me.

As for the questions I asked, I have searched the forum, by browsing along the pages. But I'm not able to find the answers to those specific questions, by using the search engine.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ImKant
I see, just by browsing the forum? Thanks for the tip, I will read here more then!

The problem with looking at pictures on this forum, or paging through the GQ ads is that I just don't know what fits look good on me, by looking at those pictures. I can't explain it, it's like I can't really imagine myself wearing the outfit, or if it would look good on me.

As for the questions I asked, I have searched the forum, by browsing along the pages. But I'm not able to find the answers to those specific questions, by using the search engine.

There are three basic inputs that go into what would look good on you:

1) The environment - is it a conservative professional industry? Or are you in advertising? A teacher? An NFL player? You can look "good" in different ways depending on your specific environmental restrictions or lack thereof.

2) Your body type and age. Are you slim and 23? Or are you an older gentleman with a bit of extra weight?

3) Your preferences. Clearly you are still working on these.

But once you nail down the first two, you'll have a good start. If you want to, you can post a picture of you in a suit and people can give you some advice on which direction to take it in. Also, are you interested in business attire (suits, shirts, slacks, ties), streetwear, or what?

ImKant

Reaction score
There are three basic inputs that go into what would look good on you:

1) The environment - is it a conservative professional industry? Or are you in advertising? A teacher? An NFL player? You can look "good" in different ways depending on your specific environmental restrictions or lack thereof.

2) Your body type and age. Are you slim and 23? Or are you an older gentleman with a bit of extra weight?

3) Your preferences. Clearly you are still working on these.

But once you nail down the first two, you'll have a good start. If you want to, you can post a picture of you in a suit and people can give you some advice on which direction to take it in. Also, are you interested in business attire (suits, shirts, slacks, ties), streetwear, or what?

I see. That sounds logical. I'm a 20-year old student, so I'm mostly interested in looking good when I go out. And looking good at parties. And clothes to wear to school etc.. I am quite slim and tall.

Like you said, the first two are easy. But my preferences, how do I decide.. ? Maybe I will post a picture of myself then.

Another (stupid?) question: Clothes made by expensive brands aren't always clothes of high quality, and do not necessarily look good, right? I mean, it would be a bad idea to buy expensive clothes, because they would 'possibly' look good?

unicornwarrior

Reaction score
You're right to assume that just because a piece of clothing is expensive that it will look good, is a terrible way to think. Chances are you'll find some amazing pieces that are expensive and great, but it is not always the case.

Then again, it depends what kind of look you're going for.

Are you trying to dress well with more formal men's clothing? Or just a better streetwear look? Or simply overall?

Look around on the forums, and think about your price range. Know your body type and search for clothing companies and fits that cater to you.

Seeing as you seem to be looking for a good look to go "out on the town" with, perhaps you should concentrate mostly on streetwear. I mean, it wouldn't kill you to eventually invest in some nice dress shirts, ties, shoes, perhaps a suit, etc but it doesn't seem thats what you need if you're a sophomore or junior in college, although when you graduate you'll have a headstart if you already own a couple nice pieces of clothing for interviews, etc.

just fyi, I'm 19 and in college. I personally buy a decent bit of dress clothing seeing as the jobs and internships I usually work in tend to be a bit more formal. Otherwise it wouldn't be as necessary.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
OP: how did you develop your own taste in anything that has ever interested you? Pretty organic process right? Do the same for clothes...

ImKant

Reaction score
Originally Posted by unicornwarrior
You're right to assume that just because a piece of clothing is expensive that it will look good, is a terrible way to think. Chances are you'll find some amazing pieces that are expensive and great, but it is not always the case.

Then again, it depends what kind of look you're going for.

Are you trying to dress well with more formal men's clothing? Or just a better streetwear look? Or simply overall?

Look around on the forums, and think about your price range. Know your body type and search for clothing companies and fits that cater to you.

Seeing as you seem to be looking for a good look to go "out on the town" with, perhaps you should concentrate mostly on streetwear. I mean, it wouldn't kill you to eventually invest in some nice dress shirts, ties, shoes, perhaps a suit, etc but it doesn't seem thats what you need if you're a sophomore or junior in college, although when you graduate you'll have a headstart if you already own a couple nice pieces of clothing for interviews, etc.

just fyi, I'm 19 and in college. I personally buy a decent bit of dress clothing seeing as the jobs and internships I usually work in tend to be a bit more formal. Otherwise it wouldn't be as necessary.

Yes, just like you've said. I'm more interested in streetwear at the moment, but a nice pair of shoes and a suit will always be handy for the more formal events.

As for clothing companies, different clothing companies concentrate on different body types? I didn't know that.

I'm looking for a reasonable price range, preferably not too expensive. And of course prices will depend on the product. But I am obviously willing to pay more for clothes that are of good quality. But, for a start, I wouldn't mind buying nice clothes from clothing companies that aren't very expensive.

Originally Posted by Fuuma
OP: how did you develop your own taste in anything that has ever interested you? Pretty organic process right? Do the same for clothes...

Well, yes. But for example.. music and food I can buy and try, they also have to grow on me, just like clothes, but clothes are more expensive.

And I must say, I have tried, but I find clothes to be more difficult to develop. I know what I like to eat, because it tastes good. I know what I like to hear, because it sounds good. But I have a real problem in determining what 'looks' good. Not only in clothes, but also other visual arts like paintings, or even decorating my room. Until now, I was more interested in the 'pratical' and the 'functional' parts of deciding what I want.

hi-val

Reaction score
Create a budget for yourself. Then really plan out what you want to get in categories-- for example, maybe you want three pairs of chinos so you don't wear jeans every day. Take some time to explore before you buy; I mention this because there are several archived threads about "what do you regret purchasing when you were new to this whole thing" floating around.

The fit is crucial; find out what to look for in a pair of pants or a shirt that actually fits you.

Berticus

Reaction score
Well, yes. But for example.. music and food I can buy and try, they also have to grow on me, just like clothes, but clothes are more expensive.

And I must say, I have tried, but I find clothes to be more difficult to develop. I know what I like to eat, because it tastes good. I know what I like to hear, because it sounds good. But I have a real problem in determining what 'looks' good. Not only in clothes, but also other visual arts like paintings, or even decorating my room. Until now, I was more interested in the 'pratical' and the 'functional' parts of deciding what I want.

The great thing about clothes is you don't necessarily need to buy it to try it. The point is you need increased exposure. So look at pictures around the forum whenever someone posts and actually actively observe what they are wearing. Another thing you could do is when you go shopping, try a lot of different outfits on. You don't necessarily have to buy something to try it on. Do the same thing with the pictures, actively observe what you are wearing.

Once you start observing clothes, it shouldn't take long for it to become natural, you'll start to see you tend to favor a particular style. Naturally, that's the style that you like.

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you need to wear clothing made by rubinacci and make your apartment look like a cold and sanitary DWR to develop your own taste. or some prefer dressing like james bond. also buy ralph lauren suits without ever trying them on. we're all so unique around these parts.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have learnt a lot from SF and the many very helpful SF members. remember, GQ advertises the items it gets paid for.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You should probably just copy everything I wear =).

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You should probably just copy everything I wear =).

I already do that...
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads