1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Detroit shoppin thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by yellman, Mar 21, 2009.

1. mr monty

mr monty Senior member

You should have grabbed all of the Isaia at that price for resale. Also, I've never seen Pantharella at marshalls... has anyone else?

Not lately. But 2 years ago they lots of them. They even had cashmere going down to $5 a pair.

2. yellman

yellman Senior member

I am from Canada. I also went to windsor outlets and picked up some nice hugo boss selection shirts for $39 each. 3 pants for $99. Cool suede loafers for $49.

3. yellman

yellman Senior member

Went to the Marshalls in Great Lakes Crossing and the one in Troy I believe.

4. jhcam8

jhcam8 Senior member

What is Neiman doing in a town where a house can be had for $18 large ?

That's the high-end in some 'hoods.

5. jonw9

jonw9 New Member

There's a Windsor in about the center of Michigan. Like so:

[​IMG]

Last Thursday's sewer board agenda.

- B

I have been lurking for a while, but never posted.
    I figured I would sign up since somebody posted a picture of my town.

I will need to make a trip to Birch Run soon, their Polo outlet seems much better than the one around here. It is in Howell, and is pretty small, and I don't recall it having anything decent, like RLBL belts for $13.00!

6. AriGold

AriGold Senior member

Just moved to detroit, Michigan.

Anyone on SF still live here?

What's good for shopping?

7. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Senior member

I see that you posted your question 2 months ago but if you are still looking for info I'm in the Detroit area.

I'm new to the world of quality clothing but have found a few stores in Birmingham that are pretty good.

The Claymore Shop on Adams just north of Lincoln (and just north to an awesome spot for some take out pizza - Primo's) is my favorite shop in the area. I would say that they specialize in the trad spectrum of clothing. They carry Southwick, Oxxford, Samuelsohn, Jack Victor, S. Cohen, Bill's Khakis, Polo, Alden (a pretty decent selection and are always willing to special order the staples if you want something), Hickey Freeman, Robert Talbot, Hiltl, Gitman... The staff is great (I always work with Mike or Al) and they have some nice sales on occasion. I was in there last week to pick up a pair of shoes and noticed that they have a great selection of tweed sportcoats in for the fall. I keep thinking of going back in to pull the trigger. They also have special events and trunk shows quite often. This coming Saturday they will have a rep from Samuelsohn in for special orders as well as a barber and a shoe shiner on site.

Carl Sterr is on the northern end of Old Woodward. The store is tiny but they have a nicely put together collection. Their stuff leans slightly towards the more modern cuts but with quality brands like Samuelsohn, Masons, Sartoria Partenopea... They also carry some Alden shoes and boots. Prices at Carl Sterr tend to average a bit higher than stuff at Claymore but I think that is mainly because Carl Sterr doesn't seem to carry anything at the low end of the spectrum. If you really like any of their suits or sport coats and don't want to pay full price, they usually have some great sales a couple times a year.

I've had nothing but excellent service at both Carl Sterr and The Claymore Shop and each time I am in either store I end up being there at least 30 minutes longer than planned because I wind up shooting the breeze with the folks working and shopping in there.

Parks Custom Tailoring is also on Adams right across the street from The Claymore Shop. Their selection doesn't hit the high end like the other two stores listed but they still have some nice stuff - Hickey Freeman, Gitman, Polo, Hugo Boss, Allen Edmonds, Jack Victor... They also have a very good selection of Barber jackets, sweaters, and hats if you are in the market. The main reason to go to Parks is for the tailoring. Mr. Park is fast, affordable, fast, good at what he does, and fast. Did I mention that he is fast? The store is run by just him and his wife (at least I have never seen another employee in there) and he is also willing to work with you on prices on things; I don't know of any other clothing shop in Metro Detroit where you can really dicker with the staff on the prices. Whenever I go to The Claymore Shop I try to make it across the street to Parks as well, even if I don't buy anything it's fun to look through the stacks in there.

8. Saturdays

Saturdays Senior member

Ari, I really hope it wasn't your choice to move there. Such a shitty place (I can say that because I've lived in the area, but then again anyone outside the area has an equal right to say that imo). Hopefully you live somewhere nicer than actual Detroit.

Apart from what Michigan Planner has mentioned, there really isn't too much. Detroit/MI in general isn't the most sartorial place in the world.

If you are ever in Ann Arbor, head to Van Boven on State St - traditional stuff, and shoes..

Otherwise Somerset mall for your typical higher end mall stuff.

9. mr monty

mr monty Senior member

zzzzz

Last edited: Oct 11, 2012
  10. AriGold

AriGold Senior member

I was worried when i moved here, but it is only temporary for a work assignment. They put me up in birmingham so it's a pretty nice area, although somewhat small and dull. Detroit does suck though

11. Saturdays

Saturdays Senior member

Amen, and Birmingham is a nice area, comparatively to the rest of the State, Bloomfield/Birmingham are up there.