Detroit bespoke tailors?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Jun 23, 2004.

1. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

2. STYLESTUDENT

STYLESTUDENT Senior member

Member Clarinetplayer has posted on this forum about a custom Oxxford suit he had made for him at the Claymore Shop in Birmingham, Michigan and about a custom suit he had made for him in Ann Arbor. There's a very long thread about the Oxxford suit. You might want to contact him directly.

3. Steve B.

Steve B. Go Spurs Go

Another place to consider is Paul Cicchini in Birmingham. I can post info if need be...

4. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

5. HRHAndrew

HRHAndrew Senior member

I would recommend Paul Cicchini as well. Used him a couple times. It wasn't cheap, but it was reasonable for the results.

6. TCN

TCN Senior member

How long ago did you use Paul Cicchini? Â The old man is no longer there, and I'm not sure I can recommend them, although they were once great. Claymore is okay for MTM suits (Polo, Oxxford, etc.). Â A great option if you want to go MTM is Carl Sterr in Birmingham who carries Samuelsohn, Brioni, and Borrelli, and whose on-staff tailor, Walter, is wonderful. Â If your friend wants to go bespoke, there are options available, e-mail me. As far as great mens stores go, there is an admitted dearth of shops in the Detroit area, but there are a few small bright spots such as Sterr and my other "secret" spots. Â [​IMG] BTW, a potential reason to avoid Cicchini, is that they have the worst store window displays I have ever seen at any store in any city in my life. These horrendous windows are eclipsed in vulgarity only by a store in a dilapidated building in downtown Detroit that I used to drive by called "GQ Menswear". They're so bad they're funny.

7. HRHAndrew

HRHAndrew Senior member

Please reveal the secrets.

8. TCN

TCN Senior member

How long ago did you use Paul Cicchini? Â The old man is no longer there, and I'm not sure I can recommend them.
    Quote As far as great mens stores go, there is an admitted dearth of shops in the Detroit area, but there are a few small bright spots such as Sterr and my other "secret" spots.
    Please reveal the secrets.[/quote] 1996 would have been the "old guard", you were lucky, and from my admittedly anecdotal experience probably ended up with a beautiful garment. E-mail me if you plan on being in the area, and I'll divulge. I would honestly post it, but the tailor can barely keep up with his present orders, and I wouldn't want to inundate him without asking him first.

9. Steve B.

Steve B. Go Spurs Go

Carl Sterr is a great store...

Cicchini has a pretty broad price range, and I've heard the same about Paul himself being gone...I thought the window displays were OK when I was there. But the staff is nice, businesslike, and there are supposedly 9 tailors there full time. You could also try Manno in Dearborn, for some reason I forgot about them first time 'round.

I'd disagree about a dearth of stores- no Louis Boston, Lawrence Covell, or Wilkes, to be sure...But a lot of stores with decent selections to fit the above average budget.

And I'd definitely rate Claymore and Carl Sterr in the upper echelon (Steve's Top 50- which would really be more like 75), albeit not Robb Report Top 10 material.

10. TCN

TCN Senior member

Detroit has a few good stores, I hope I didn't give the impression that we have nothing. There is a notable void for English shoe (or clothing) fans however.

We also lack a grand browsing emporium, like a Louis, a Paul Stuart, Bergdorf Men, or even a large Polo store. Of note, we are getting an 8,000 sq. ft. Polo store in November, Thomas Pink will be here in late summer, and a Lacoste store just opened.