• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Detroit area..

JunkMail

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I live in the Detroit area of MI. And I had a few questions for those of you who live in this area as well.

Im 19 and this is my first year in college, and I always paid attention to my looks, but to a small extent. I was pretty much a manikin shopper (see something on a manikin buy it), Since its my first year in college, im becoming a lot more self-aware, and want to make an effort to dress better. Anyway..

In the Detroit area what are some good stores, to get some good deals at. Not just stores with good deals, but just good stores in general, to be honest I become lost when I decide to go shopping, I have no idea where to go. The look Im shooting for is a more "Dressy" look you could say. Nonetheless Im willing to experiment, so for those of you who live in this area what are some stores you go to? or ones you'd suggest?

Also I need to do away with my current hair, I've had this look since beginning of High school (Messy Spikes). But For the life of my I cannot find a GOOD stylist. Distance is not a problem for me if I like something. Any of you have suggestions of possible stylists? My hair needs to change.

And this last question may seem a little odd, but perhaps any of you know of a site(s) that offers Fashion Tips? as well as Fashion-Don'ts?

Thanks a lot for all your help in advance. =]

NavyStyles

Reaction score
Hey JM and welcome to the forum.

I can't help you with stores in and around Detroit. But you did ask about fashion tips, including any faux pas. I can definitely say, if you've got questions -- ask. Everybody on this website is willing to help you out with all kinds of advice on matching and just generally looking handsome.

JunkMail

Reaction score
Thanks.
smile.gif
When it comes to fashion Im like a blind man in a library -- best way to put it. I really don't know what im doing lol ^_^ Perhaps anyone have any links to some Ideas? with different types of fashion styles? hair styles? ect? To give me some Ideas, to help me get started?
smile.gif
Thank you.

NavyStyles

Reaction score
Fashion styles... check out GQ or Esquire.

Hair styles... I can only give you my own system: look around you and seek out different types.  A lot of times, when I go to see a movie, I check out the leading man's haircut.  I know what you mean about getting tired of the same thing for too long.  I had the same hairstyle (long and curly) for about four years, save the occasional cut-it-short/style-it periods.  Now, I've got it shorter than I ever had it, and I find it much easier to deal with.

One thing I'd like to add about fashion... don't hold what the magazines say in too high regards. I've not been too impressed with GQ recently (maybe, it's just me... but it seems to be on a bit of a decline). Still, they are good sources to widen your eyes in the fashion world.

clarinetplayer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Besides all the big name chain department stores in the malls (Nordstrom, Brooks Bros, Saks, etc...), there are several "one of a kind" clothiers in metro Detroit.

All of the following stores have people who know and care about their craft and will take the time to offer honest advice:

In Ann Arbor, the Van Boven store has been in business for 80 years. Traditional, but sharp style.

In Birmingham, the Claymore Shop. Ask for Charlie. This is a very traditional store--but all high class stuff. Think Duke of Windsor.

Also in Birmingham, Carl Sterr. Carl is more on the cutting edge of fashion.

All of the above stores are high quality and a bit high in price. But, it doesn't cost anything to look.

hermes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
also look at uomo moda in southfield
and there is the infamous the broadway downtown

if you're looking for deals, nm last call and the saks off fifth at great lakes crossing is good for deals (there is also a saks off fifth at fairlane in dearborn) and great lakes crossing has the usual marshalls, tjmaxx and such

there is a nordstrom rack just north of oakland mall (corner of big beaver and rochester road) there is also a syms and loehmann's across the street from nordstrom rack

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
There are also several other pretty good spec stores:

Paul Cicchini Custom Clothier Independent
Rick Depanicis, Owner / Herman Masters, Manager / Sheila Blum, Sales
180 S. Old Woodward Ave., Birmingham, MI 48009. (248) 646-0535.

The Custom Shop Independent Stuart Silbert
223 S. Old Woodward Ave., Birmingham, MI 48009.
(248) 642-0460. www.customshop.com.(See Chapter 9)

Manno Clothing and Tailoring Independent Pat Manno, Owner
23810 Michigan Ave., Dearborn, MI 48124. (313) 5461-1419.

Hickey's Walton Pierce Clothiers Independent William Huntington, President
17140 Kercheval Ave., Grosse Pointe, MI 48230. (313) 882-8970.

Gebran's Men's Clothing Independent Pete Collias, Owner
81 Macomb Place, Mt. Clemens, MI 48043. (586) 465-5410.

LeConte Ltd. Independent Michael and Suzanne Browe, Owners / Judy Johnson, Sales
3086 Walton Blvd., Rochester Hills, MI 48309. (248) 375-5577.

Mitzelfeld's Independent Monty Mitzelfeld, Manager
312 S. Main St., Rochester, MI 48307. (248) 651-8171.

JunkMail

Reaction score
Wow thanks a lot. everyone : ) I will definitely check all these stores out : )

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
As I recall, the Somerset Mall was the place to shop. However, I haven't been there in about 15 years, so who knows?

Where are you going to college? I went to Hillsdale College myself and then lived in Mt. Clemens for a year and Grosse Pointe for about 9 months before moving back to sunny Arizona.

Bradford

hermes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yes somerset is 'the' mall, however, the somerset people rechristened it 'the somerset collection'

JunkMail

Reaction score
Where are you going to college?
Currently I goto Macomb, still trying to figure out where I want to go after here
smile.gif
Thinking a tech school.
yes Somerset is 'the' mall, however, the Somerset people rechristened it 'the Somerset collection'
Funny you say that, My girlfriend lives RIGHT across from Somerset, and I always refer to it as Somerset mall - she always corrects me and says "Collection." lol... just thought I'd share.

Mike

Reaction score
Must be from my neck of the woods. I was born in Hamtramck but raised in Sterling Heights before I graduated. Now I go to school at U of M in Ann Arbor.

Thanks for the recommendations folks. I'm gonna have to check some of those places out. I've just been checking out the outlets and such.

CLaG

Reaction score
You can also check out Jack's Place in Southfield. It's a high end store with great clothes. They are not cheap though. There is also a Broadway, as previously mentioned, in Fairlane Mall in addition to the downtown store. If you want to look good for a smaller price tag, try Bachelor's or Cecil B's in Fairlane Mall. The quality is not as high end as some of the other stores mentioned but u will still come out looking great on a college budget.

Adam

Reaction score
I'm going to suggest Somerset Collection as well. It's hands down the best mall in Metro-Detroit, let alone the state. As far as stores, both Saks 5th Avenue and Nordstroms carry a variety of designers.
Since you're only 19, I'm guessing you want something stylish and geared towards someone your age (I'm 21, and I know I hate dressing like my father). Other stores in Somerset I'd suggest are Kenneth Cole, Armani Exchange, Express, Hugo Boss, Club Monaco, and Banana Republic.

But don't stop there, there are a number of boutiques and independent stores in the area. My favorites are Incognito (Royal Oak), Dolce Moda (Royal Oak), Firefly (Ferndale). Grab a copy of Real Detroit or Metro Times, and look through the ads. Most hip/stylish stores in the area will have ads.

For hair salons, I'd suggest either Palazolla, or 6 Salon (where I go); both are in downtown Royal Oak, on 6th street.

Hope that helps out. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads