• Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Determining correct shoe size from a too big shoe?

Gosroth

Reaction score
So as many others I jumped on the Meermin bandwagon and ordered two pairs of shoes. I was advised to pick size UK9 based on my feet measurements (27.3mm x 10.0 mm), but it turns out that there is something about the shoe that just swallows my feet and they are decidedly too big.

I'm in the process of having an exchange, the question is: how do I decide how much I should size down? Is there any smart method do decide just how much too big a shoe is?

I've tried the rather crude method of stuffing folded sheets of paper 4mm and 8mm thick (equivalent to how much shorter sizes 8.5 and 8 are) into the heel and trying the on the shoe.

With 4mm of paper at the heel the shoe still feels slightly too big. With 8mm, it's a snug fit with a little hint of tightness. Of course, it's almost impossible to walk with papper stuff into the heel, so it doesn't really tell me much.

The shoe in question is a double monk strap on the Hiro last (5th from the right).

Edit: I did a second test involving socks this time. Basically, I tried how many pairs of socks (thin dress socks) I need to wear for the size 9 shoe to fit well.

6 pairs: Can't even get the foot inside.
5 pairs: Very noteable tightness, almost painfull.
4 pairs: A very snugg fit. Seems about right.
3 pairs: Too few socks, noticeable heel slipping.
1-2 pairs: Heavy heel slipping.

So 4 pairs of socks clearly give the best fit.

Pardon the silly question, but what is the community consensus; is 4 layers of socks equal to one half or one full UK size?

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

What is the most important handwork to have on a shirt?

• Hand attached collar

Votes: 16 30.2%
  • Handsewn button holes

Votes: 17 32.1%
  • Hand finish on yolk and shoulders

Votes: 20 37.7%

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
millant89