• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Details on a seersucker sport coat / suit

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting a summer sport coat made and am torn between a classic light blue striped seersucker and a beige linen. Some questions if I go with seersucker (and don't live in the South):

1. Can you get a sport coat made with sport coat details (three patch pockets, open quarters), get a matching pair of pants (who knows, maybe I'll actually wear the set to a beach wedding someday), and wear the sport coat and pants as a suit? Or will the jacket look subtly odd since it was made as an odd jacket?

2. My summer jackets have usually been 3 roll 2, quarter lined, with soft shoulders and three patch pockets. Anyone feel they need a break from three patch pockets and would have a welted chest pocket on a seersucker sport coat (and even flap hip pockets)? I remember an old, old thread where Kent Wang settled on a welted chest and patch hip pockets for his jacket.

3. Is a classic light blue striped seersucker difficult to match with any shirt other than white and light pastel colors?

4. Any other details you would pay attention to for a seersucker sport coat?

Leiker

Reaction score
3. Is a classic light blue striped seersucker difficult to match with any shirt other than white and light pastel colors?

I think white shirts look great with the classic blue seersucker and I've never seen another color shirt that Iooks good with one.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't like patch pockets on anything.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With seersucker and linen I think you have license to wear them as separates.

As for pocket styles, I’m somewhat agnostic on that. It certainly lends a more casual flavor but if you’re tired of them, get something different like jetted pockets.

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you're going for seersucker, you could do worse than Chittleborough & Morgan:

michael+browne+chittleborough+morgan.jpeg

Photo from Permanent Style.

henriik

Reaction score
bit odd to see seersucker in such a formal & structured cut

still definitely looks good though

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
bit odd to see seersucker in such a formal & structured cut

still definitely looks good though

For sure. I like the shoulders, but I wonder if adjustments to the pockets and buttons (colour) would make it more suitable as a separate.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
1. Yes, that's fine.

2. I'm not sure of your question, but you can get the chest pocket either as a patch or welted.

3. Light blue seersucker? That would only go with white and pastel shirts, I think. I have a dark blue tonal seersucker suit and find it's wearable with shirts in light blue or white.

4. There are two types of seersucker: one in cotton and one in wool. Loro Piana makes the wool version (I think it's wool-silk, actually). If you get dark-colored garments such as navy, cotton will fade more easily. It will also drape differently. If you're concerned about fading and drape, consider the LP version.

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would go with jacket features that would allow you to feel fine wearing it as part of the suit, ie together. The inherent informality of a traditional seersucker suit jacket - the material, stripes, white buttons - has always made it easy for it to do double duty as an odd jacket. In fact, down here in the South wearing both halves as separates seems as popular as wearing them together.

Regarding shirt color, like others have stated, I think nothing beats good ol’ white. I usually wear a white cotton/linen blend button down. I’ll also occasionally wear a very pale pink Brooks Brothers button down I’m having trouble replacing.

Regarding features, heat may not be an issue where you live but try to get a lining that breathes well. Otherwise, it sort of defeats one of the purposes of wearing seersucker.

Finally, make sure the trousers have suspender buttons. In for a penny, in for a pound. I think the traditionally full cut trousers look better with suspenders and they’re more comfortable in the heat. For that matter, if you are getting the whole rig made up, get a second pair of trousers.

Finally, (again) it isn’t clear from your post but I infer you have not worn a seersucker suit much if ever. If so, please note there isn’t anything subtle about a seersucker suit. They aren’t for everyone. :)

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Loro Piana makes the wool version (I think it's wool-silk, actually). If you get dark-colored garments such as navy, cotton will fade more easily. It will also drape differently. If you're concerned about fading and drape, consider the LP version.
My tailor is itching to try these and showed me the swatches. I have no idea whether to choose this over cotton, does anyone have experience with the LP?

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would go with jacket features that would allow you to feel fine wearing it as part of the suit, ie together. The inherent informality of a traditional seersucker suit jacket - the material, stripes, white buttons - has always made it easy for it to do double duty as an odd jacket. In fact, down here in the South wearing both halves as separates seems as popular as wearing them together.
I'm not in the South and am not very ambitious about wearing the seersucker suit together outside a beach wedding or a casual summer weekend affair (a yacht or marina party?) where I want to look dressed up and want to wear more than a linen odd jacket. I have no plans of wearing it to anything close to a work or formal function, so would not have a jacket cut like Atticus from To Kill a Mockingbird where the lines are clearly formal.

I expect to almost always wear the suit as separates, so am curious if there are any details (like open quarters) that I should avoid because they will look off when the suit is actually worn together (seems there are none). I was also thinking to try a welted chest pocket, jetted hip pockets and not so open quarters just to rein in the casualness of the jacket, even if it will end up a casual jacket, if that makes any sense.

It would be a summer jacket so quarter lining at most.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My tailor is itching to try these and showed me the swatches. I have no idea whether to choose this over cotton, does anyone have experience with the LP?
Yes, I do. I have a double-breasted suit made from the navy tone-on-tone Loro Piana seersucker. Derek is correct, it is a wool/silk blend. It's very lightweight and wearable. It also resists wrinkles quite well and sheds them easily, too, making it a good travel cloth.

TheShetlandSweater

Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting a summer sport coat made and am torn between a classic light blue striped seersucker and a beige linen. Some questions if I go with seersucker (and don't live in the South):

1. Can you get a sport coat made with sport coat details (three patch pockets, open quarters), get a matching pair of pants (who knows, maybe I'll actually wear the set to a beach wedding someday), and wear the sport coat and pants as a suit? Or will the jacket look subtly odd since it was made as an odd jacket?

2. My summer jackets have usually been 3 roll 2, quarter lined, with soft shoulders and three patch pockets. Anyone feel they need a break from three patch pockets and would have a welted chest pocket on a seersucker sport coat (and even flap hip pockets)? I remember an old, old thread where Kent Wang settled on a welted chest and patch hip pockets for his jacket.

4. Any other details you would pay attention to for a seersucker sport coat?

1. Yes. It would look perfectly fine to have it made this way.

2. I'm not a fan of the chest patch really ever. Welt up top, two patches lower down.

3. I think you could wear it with a variety of shirts. White, pink, yellow, madras, indigo, etc. The difficulty is you can't really wear it with light blue shirts or stripes.

FWIW, I would go with the linen. I think you'll find it easier to wear, both because it stands out less and because it is easier to pair with other things.

Also, here is Mark Cho in a seersucker shirt with a blue shirt that is a bit darker than your standard blue dress shirt.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics