• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Details in a custom made suit

jind86

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm new here btw, just joined yesterday. I went today to get my first custom-made suit, my measurements were taken today and basic specifications regarding my suit such as type of lapel, vent, cut, lining, pocket were stated. However specific details such as amount of shoulder pad I prefer, number of buttons on the cuff, and desire of surgeon cuffs were not specified. Will these specific details be mentioned in my fitting which is in 2 weeks time or those are the things I should mention before my fitting?

Thank you for your expert opinion.

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would certainly hope that they would allow you to specify such details, but whether or not they plan to do so at your fitting is anyone's guess. Honestly, you should contact the maker and ask this question of them.

fongstar

Reaction score
Typically in your 2nd fitting that's when you determine your details are determined. First, they want to make sure the fit is correct when you try it on after it's made. That is why you tell them your desired details and they alter it accordingly.

Normally, buttons holes/cuffs are done after the 2nd fitting. Similarly, that's when they also see how the drape and silhouette works on your body based off of their measurements.

However - it's never a bad thing to mention it during the first fitting too.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads