• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Details: Gianluca Isaia's 10 Rules of Style—Bad Shirts

ohm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
I call BS because the myth of the shirt that never slides up is just that - a myth. I have some shirts with the highest possible armhole (literally hugging my armpit) and I'm wearing one right now. Still, the basic physics of reaching above one's head will still pull the shirt up at the waist - not necessarily out of the trousers (that depends on the shirt length) but certainly up. And one needs to tuck it back in when that happens - like I just did.

Just reached above my head with both hands. Had to tuck my shirt in.
shog[1].gif

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by maomao1980
Sure, high armhole will only help to a certain degree. For me at around 6', I never have to lift my arms high enough to reach the overhead bin so that my shirt comes out of my pants. Most of the pull from my shirts is in the back from sitting up and down, the sides tend to stay in the entire day.

I call BS
smile.gif

(I'm 6'2")

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Aside from the armhole height, doesn't the angle at which the sleeves are set make a difference? I figure that with a Y-shaped shirt, you wouldn't have the issue of pulling when you raise your arms. Mind you, there'd be some excess fabric and bunching when your arms are at rest. I used to have a snowboard jacket that was cut this way to allow more freedom of movement. Maybe Glennie will come up with a high armhole sleeve that incorporates a lycra gusset in the pit area.

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
I don't have a problem with your preference for baggy shirts. However, if you like your shirts cut loose like this and don't want a fitted shirt, you shouldn't be concerned with having ultra-high armholes anyway. Very high armholes with extra fabric folding over the chest sounds like a really bad combination.
...drape?

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

dibenetto

Reaction score
high armhole is BS, what matters is the shirt tail length and how high you wear your pants rise....

i have a BARBA shirt and while it is close fittings and feels great it is extremely delicate and fragile (had a few buttons sewn back, the handmade buttonholes tear up the fabric,the armhole set by hand is extremely delicate and probably won't last very long...) few things built into BARBA shirts might help though: they cut their shirt tail long (front and back) and they sew a button almost at the bottom

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"5.
Get a suit you really like even if it's not the safe choice. Buying another blue or gray suit makes you another sheep in the herd. I want to be the black sheep."
He had me at hello. Picked this up about a month ago:
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/i/8...l-For-Men.html

FlaneurNYC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dibenetto
high armhole is BS, what matters is the shirt tail length and how high you wear your pants rise....

i have a BARBA shirt and while it is close fittings and feels great it is extremely delicate and fragile (had a few buttons sewn back, the handmade buttonholes tear up the fabric,the armhole set by hand is extremely delicate and probably won't last very long...) few things built into BARBA shirts might help though: they cut their shirt tail long (front and back) and they sew a button almost at the bottom

Thanks for the Barba advice. I'm pretty careful with my shirts (hand wash"”towel roll"”hang dry) so I should be okay with delicacy. I'm going to check them out.

And the rise also makes sense. A low rise and short tail spells disaster.

Thurston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In Neapolitan dialect, there's an expression, fare una sciammeria, which means to have a wild, passionate, crazy night of sex. They don't come easily"”you need to make a bit of effort. To get one you need to invest money"”take a woman out to the right restaurant, buy her flowers, do vacations. The money spent will bring you pleasure. It's the same with a suit"”you need to spend money to get the most from one.
A tremendous insight.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thurston
A tremendous insight.
Actually, a vast number of SFers will learn something here...

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigbris1
I have eyed that suit for months. How do you like it?

Fabric is phenomenal and eye-catching with a great hand. It has a real "Wow" factor. I had a judge, tongue-in-cheek, say he had to know where I got the suit so he could get a robe made out of the fabric. The fit is fantastic on me, highest armholes of any of my suits.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thurston
A tremendous insight.

Would Panera Bread be the right restaurant?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads