• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Detachable collars.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hello, Where might I find shirts that are to be worn with a detacable strached collar? As well as the collars. Preferably something very high. Not like a tab collar, and such. As this.
image1_0_0.jpg
Although I believe Mr.Lagerfeld's shirts to be made by Hilditch & Key.

Nick M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You could try New & Lingwood, but I think you'd have to go bespoke if you wanted the super-high collar. Here's an interesting article about the detachable collar - sounds like a lot of work...

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have made plenty of shirts set up for removable collars.

The body is the easy part. There is just a small band at the neck with thre button holes. The back button hole only goes though the layer of fabric and not the lining.

The difficult part is the collar. I usually just make a removable collar as it would be on a regular shirt. Usually fused.

You could use paper collars (Celluloid?) which rip after a use or two. I don't don't know if any one makes the linen type either.

The dificulty is getting someone to starch them properly. Don't look at me. I don't know how to do it and don't care to learn. Call me a heathen ,I can't even tie a bow tie.

hermes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i believe that i have read that karl lagerfeld gets all his dress shirts made at hildich and key to this day

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I thought this exact question, with pic and everything came up a while ago. Am I just having dÃ
00a9.png
jà vu?
cheesy.gif

Brian SD

Reaction score
I personally think it looks awful. It looks like the man broke his neck.

StylePlus

Reaction score
You may also try Etsy.com they often have Vintage collar for sale. Sometimes they are cleanable and other times not. So, just be careful. Barkers Laundry in London will have a go at cleaning them for you

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads