• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Destroyed On The First Wearing

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have you ever purchased something and on the first wearing, met with disaster and ruined it?

I'll start..
Burberry shirt. Pen exploded in the pocket. When I felt a sensation on my chest I thought I was bleeding, then discovered the giant ink blob.
No one at work even noticed. Thankfully it was a morning disaster and I was able to buy another shirt at lunch time.
Now I have Burberry cleaning rags.

Fratelli Rosetti shoes (cognac scotchgrain oxfords). First wearing on an un-planned site visit and they got snagged in some rusty metal in a cluttered parking lot of a construction site. They took massive damage from the front of the toebox right up the instep; a total write off.

Please share your own stories and photos if possible...

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A Tom Ford cashmere sweater. It was a birthday present, and the first day I wore it I went to Starbucks to get some coffee. I was sipping the coffee on my way out of the store and started to feel something warm on my chest. There was a tiny, pin-sized hole in the top to the cup that was leaking a steaming hot grande Caffe Americano all over my brand new sweater. To make matters worse, the sweater was in a winter white. I was able to get the stains out after a visit to the dry-cleaners, however the nap was ruined beyond repair.

I now drink tea.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Brand new first time out wearing Marinella tie. At lunch, I slung my tie over my shoulder while I ate so nothing would dribble on it. The silk was particularly slippery, and it slipped off my shoulder and squarely landed in my plate of beef and broccoli.
ffffuuuu.gif
Unsalvageable.

TTO

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^...and my revenge was complete!

This is why you tuck your tie to eat spoo, or wear a bowtie!

-TTO

TTO

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
'It rubs beefjuice into it's tie....IT RUBS BEEF JUICE IN TO IT'S TIE'
laugh.gif

-TTO

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was wearing a new suit for the first time when I snagged my pants in the thigh area on the corner of a conference table. Fortunately a shop in Chicago was able to reweave it.

HEPennypacker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
Brand new first time out wearing Marinella tie. At lunch, I slung my tie over my shoulder while I ate so nothing would dribble on it. The silk was particularly slippery, and it slipped off my shoulder and squarely landed in my plate of beef and broccoli.
ffffuuuu.gif
Unsalvageable.

laugh.gif
This happened to me once, and after a few other near-misses (including a new Marinella), I now just let the tie hang and hope for the best.

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Man Of Lint
Burberry shirt. Pen exploded in the pocket.

One of these?
Burberry%20shirt(M)(3).jpg

IMO it's no great loss.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
ffffuuuu.gif
Unsalvageable.

Send it to the guys at Tiecrafters in NYC.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I'm kind of a klutz, and I spill things all the time. One time, at breakfast at a hotel, I managed to knock over a tall glass of grapefruit juice and just leapt out of the way before it could cascade off the table and into the lap of my (first ever) bespoke suit. Close call, right? About five minutes later, the person sitting next to me knocked over her coffee cup, and it got me.
ffffuuuu.gif

Fred H.

Reaction score
It's always ties for me. Especially light colored ones. I'd say at least once a year. BUT, what's really weird is if the tie survives the first wearing it's usually good until it bores me to tears and I Goodwill it.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fred H.
It's always ties for me. Especially light colored ones. I'd say at least once a year. BUT, what's really weird is if the tie survives the first wearing it's usually good until it bores me to tears and I Goodwill it.
Many a tie of mine has met its untimely fate in a bowl of soup or a plate of food, or else fell victim to stray projectiles of same. Anything involving a lot of sauces or dipping -- salads with dressing, sushi, curries, and so forth -- presents an especially hazardous situation for my clothing.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley
Send it to the guys at Tiecrafters in NYC.

They would have to go fishing at Fresh Kills to get it. I got a good price on it, wasnt worth the hassle.

Zackb911

Reaction score
I spilled a spot of printer ink on my brand new Dockers D1 Khakis within the first hour I had them. Right by the crotch too, total loss.
blush.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads