• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Desperately need to find black suit or great tux quickly!

velvel87

Reaction score
Hey,

I am getting married in a little over 5 weeks and must find either a two button black single breasted suit or a nice tux within the week(haven't decided which way I'm going with it yet), preferably by this weekend. I live in the NYC area and want to buy the suit in the store rather than risk buying something online in this case.

I have roughly $1000 to spend, but would prefer to not to hit my max, especially because I will still need to add in all of the costs for alterations.

If anyone knows about sales going on for high quality suits the week, please let me know. I arleady hit up the brooks brothers golden fleece sale (you should really get in on that - it's a steal) and have spotted something at Century21. I am looking to see if anyone knows about anything else.

Thanks!

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Golden Fleece is as good as you are gonna get buying stuff in a store. Just get it and get it tailored and be done with it.

velvel87

Reaction score
I do not disagree with you, but GF doesn't have a black suit. This is for my wedding and I need a black suit or a great tux. Also, the suit at Century21 was an Isaia two button with a black on black pattern, which is what I want, but its $1,200. I'd much rather find something cheaper.

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You might want to hit Jersey Gardens or Woodbury Commons outlet malls. Worth a look, but you will need perseverence and a lot of luck to get exactly what you want. At Jersey Gardens you will not pay sales tax, and if you get something upwards of a grand that can make all the diffrence.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nordstrom almost always has a nice basic, classic tux at their major stores for under a grand. I think they are a good value but stick with the classic cut tux.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by velvel87
Hey,

I am getting married in a little over 5 weeks and must find either a two button black single breasted suit or a nice tux within the week(haven't decided which way I'm going with it yet), preferably by this weekend. I live in the NYC area and want to buy the suit in the store rather than risk buying something online in this case.

I have roughly $1000 to spend, but would prefer to not to hit my max, especially because I will still need to add in all of the costs for alterations.

If anyone knows about sales going on for high quality suits the week, please let me know. I arleady hit up the brooks brothers golden fleece sale (you should really get in on that - it's a steal) and have spotted something at Century21. I am looking to see if anyone knows about anything else.

Thanks!

Not to spam up the thread too much, but if you're a 44L, there's a rather decent tux on ebay, even if I do say so myself....
wink.gif
tounge.gif

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by velvel87
I do not disagree with you, but GF doesn't have a black suit. This is for my wedding and I need a black suit or a great tux. Also, the suit at Century21 was an Isaia two button with a black on black pattern, which is what I want, but its $1,200. I'd much rather find something cheaper.

So you want a black suit, not a tuxedo.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do trust this will NOT be a daytime wedding, correct?

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ralph Lauren is having 30% off friends & family sale and they do have a tux at blue label.

JordanB

Reaction score
The Polo recommendation is a good one. It's a nice tux, as I recall, and about $1300 before the 30% off.

One other option (although riskier) is to try Mr. Ned. He will take a few weeks to get a tux done, but it will still be finished in time for your wedding. All in, it should come to $900 and it will fit you well.

JordanB

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JordanB
The Polo recommendation is a good one. It's a nice tux, as I recall, and about $1300 before the 30% off.

One other option (although riskier) is to try Mr. Ned. He will take a few weeks to get a tux done, but it will still be finished in time for your wedding. All in, it should come to $900 and it will fit you well.

Ok, so the Polo tux is actually $1500. The Polo Mansion normally gives free tailoring, but I don't think they will if it's 30% off. http://www.ralphlauren.com/product/i...entPage=family.

I still might call Mr. Ned (www.mrnednyc.com), explain your situation and see if they can get something done on time.

JimInSoCalif

Reaction score
I am a Certified Senior Citizen and have never had a need for a Tux, but if I were getting married, I would buy one long before I would consider a black suit. In fact, I have never considered buying or even wearing one.

Black suits seem to be popular with hip young men going clubbing - we used to call them bars - undertakers, and chauffeurs. Buy the Tux - you probably won't need it often but you will have a proper fitting evening suit when you do instead of renting some ill fitting garment at a fairly high cost.

Cheers, Jim.

velvel87

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. It is a 4:30 wedding and I will not be black tie because my fiance doesn't want it. I can still wear a tux, even though she prefers suits, but it's a sensitive subject (and an annoying one). I am open to both ideas, but will go with whatever looks better and is the most afforadble, since getting married has more expenses than just suiting yourself.

I am looking to see if anyone knows of any stores in the NYC area that sell great suits or tuxes for discounted prices. This could be anything from a store selling great suits made from top quality mills like euromoda downtown to something crazy like mafia fronted cash only high end suit stores (they do excist). I'm open to all ideas.

Also, what's the deal with Mr. Ned?

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If your fiancee prefers suits, just get a good suit. It is sartorially correct for a 4:30 p.m. wedding, whereas a tux is not. Don't get black, though. Dark charcoal or midnight blue will appear almost the same as black and will certainly be far more generally useful and versatile than either a black suit or a tux.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads