1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Desk Accessories.

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by LabelKing, Feb 21, 2008.

1. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I like desk accessories. Here are a few that I found tasteful: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And I especially like this desktop globe.

[​IMG]

3. DNW

DNW Senior member

[​IMG] Who makes these?

4. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

I hold the writing desk and it's ephemera in special esteem. Some pics of my desk that I had on Imageshack already... [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Other things aren't pictured: a few books, of philosophy, mathematics, and literature, my chess knight desk lamp. There are drawers for my Crane's notepaper and ink for the dip pens, as well as a drawer for drafting tools, a micrometer and calipers, a drawer for common and pedstrian writing implements, staplers and such, and a few drawers for items from my collection. And of course a pendeflex drawer -- all on full extension roller slides.

5. AlanC

AlanC Senior member

^Nice. What's the hat?

6. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

I use this to hold paper clips. My wife bought it for me. I sometimes get thirsty looking at it.

7. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

[​IMG]

Who makes these?

It's a '50s Hermes set.

8. spertia

spertia Senior member

I love desk accessories from the '60s and '70s in lucite, chrome, and/or cork. Even though I do not smoke (cigarettes), I used to collect modern designer ashtrays from the period; they often do not immediately look like ashtrays and work perfectly as catch-alls for paper clips, candies, etc.

I also have a bit of a fetish for desktop miniatures. My desk holds mini models of my current favorite vintage car (Maserati Merak) and high-rise building (Hancock Center in Chicago).

9. dkzzzz

dkzzzz Senior member

I use this to hold paper clips. My wife bought it for me. I sometimes get thirsty looking at it.

Cute I like it. Any info on where she purchased this bucket?

I like writing sets with ink bottles but in Lucite or marble/malachite or any semi precious stone. I do not like textured leather look of that ink set, it looks tacky in a very Indiana Jones way.

10. blackgrass

blackgrass Senior member

I hold the writing desk and it's ephemera in special esteem. Some pics of my desk that I had on Imageshack already...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Other things aren't pictured: a few books, of philosophy, mathematics, and literature, my chess knight desk lamp. There are drawers for my Crane's notepaper and ink for the dip pens, as well as a drawer for drafting tools, a micrometer and calipers, a drawer for common and pedstrian writing implements, staplers and such, and a few drawers for items from my collection. And of course a pendeflex drawer -- all on full extension roller slides.

Why the jackass rig with the revolver?

11. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

Any info on where she purchased this bucket?

She got it in London at an antique shop.

12. dkzzzz

dkzzzz Senior member

/\\ Thank you sir.

13. Tck13

Tck13 Senior member

[​IMG]

You'll shoot your eye out!

14. Tck13

Tck13 Senior member

Sometimes the best ideas come from unusual places and improvisation.

15. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I love desk accessories from the '60s and '70s in lucite, chrome, and/or cork. Even though I do not smoke (cigarettes), I used to collect modern designer ashtrays from the period; they often do not immediately look like ashtrays and work perfectly as catch-alls for paper clips, candies, etc. I also have a bit of a fetish for desktop miniatures. My desk holds mini models of my current favorite vintage car (Maserati Merak) and high-rise building (Hancock Center in Chicago).
    Cork is a very intriguing material but I don't see a lot of desk items made in cork except some pen-holders, and the like. I'd like a blotter in cork, with chrome edging. I'm also particularly fond of assorted boxes--from traditional molded leather to modernistic ones and sterling ones. You can stack them up, and stuff things into them without sacrificing style. Desktop miniatures are also fascinating; I like the aluminum airplane models that airline executives used to keep on a teak credenza or something.
    Cute I like it. Any info on where she purchased this bucket? I like writing sets with ink bottles but in Lucite or marble/malachite or any semi precious stone. I do not like textured leather look of that ink set, it looks tacky in a very Indiana Jones way.
    It's an alligator skin, I believe.

16. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

17. spertia

spertia Senior member

I'm also particularly fond of assorted boxes--from traditional molded leather to modernistic ones and sterling ones. You can stack them up, and stuff things into them without sacrificing style.

I think this is a good idea as well. I really love the various lucite/acrylic boxes that Albrizzi designed:

[​IMG]

My wife does something similar with her jewelry; rather than using a single all-encompassing jewelry box, she stacks vintage boxes to hold the various pieces. For instance, there is this Danese metal box with sliding cover and multiple compartments (actually intended as an ashtray), designed by Bruno Munari, in her dressing area:

[​IMG]

18. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I think this is a good idea as well. I really love the various lucite/acrylic boxes that Albrizzi designed:

[​IMG]

My wife does something similar with her jewelry; rather than using a single all-encompassing jewelry box, she stacks vintage boxes to hold the various pieces. For instance, there is this Danese metal box with sliding cover and multiple compartments (actually intended as an ashtray), designed by Bruno Munari, in her dressing area:

[​IMG]

I've always been attracted to boxed, and cased items. It gives an interesting dimension to something that otherwise might be slightly banal.

The old taxidermy glass bells are also quite interesting for enclosing certain collectable objects.

19. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

Why the jackass rig with the revolver?

Good eye! They aren't matched and the revolver will never see the inside of a holster anyway -- Colt Police Positive Target Models in .32 Colt Police are to rare for wear.

You'll shoot your eye out!

It aims toward the chair on the other side of the desk....

20. RJman

RJman Senior member Dubiously Honored