• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Designing your own clothing

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

A few months ago, I posted a topic on ideas for customizing jeans. Tonight, I came up with an idea that I'm really going to try this weekend. I'm going to visit some thrift shops and find plain vintage T's and zip-up sweatshirts that are soft and in good condition. I'll also pick up some shirts with cool funky logos/lettering, as well as some dress shirts with nice patterns. Here's my plan:

- Cut out the logos from the t-shirts and sew them onto the front of a plain t-shirt of a contrasting color. I think this would make a cool effect.

- Cut out smaller logos from shirts and sew them on the sleeves of the blank T-shirts.

- Cut out words/parts of words to make up brief 'phrases' and sew them on the front of the blank t's, along with logos.

- Cut a word/graphic from a shirt in half, and sew half on each side of a blank zip-up sweatshirt.

Anybody have any other cool suggestions I could try? Also, anyone know of a more consistant source for nice blank fitted T's or hoodies? I tried the American Apparel website, but they want $46 for a hoodie and $16 for a t-shirt - a little steep for me to start out. However, their products look nice.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One more idea:

Find dress shirts with cool striped/plaid designs. Take the aforementioned logos/lettering from shirts, and sew them on top of pieces of the patterned fabric. Cut out the patterned fabric, leaving a 1" border of the material, and sew this onto a t-shirt. Basically, you'd have a logo framed in patterned material.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Very cool ideas. Good luck on your conquest.

I ordered the "A. Spencer Product" shirt from Yoko Devareaux, btw. I'll keep you updated on it. Apparently, you tell them what you want in what size and color, and they silkscreen it for you. $48 includes shipping, as well.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very cool ideas. Good luck on your conquest.

I ordered the "A. Spencer Product" shirt from Yoko Devareaux, btw. I'll keep you updated on it. Apparently, you tell them what you want in what size and color, and they silkscreen it for you. $48 includes shipping, as well.
Hmmm...that doesn't sound like a bad idea the more that I think about it. I might pick one up myself, please keep us updated.

High_Roller

Reaction score
I've toyed with the idea of customizing jeans, but I haven't the time. I have come up with a few ideas, though.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've toyed with the idea of customizing jeans, but I haven't the time. I have come up with a few ideas, though.
I recall you posted a few times on that thread I made a few months ago. All of the posters came up with some pretty cool and unique ideas.

I just ended up customizing a pair of light blue Armani jeans a bit. The wash was a solid light blue (looked too bright and white). I tried so hard to get them 'broken-in'. Over winter, I kicked them around my driveway, making sure to grind them in the salt, slush, oil, and grime. I let them sit out there for a few days in that condition. It washed out right away. I soaked them for a day straight in strong coffee (to give them a 'dirty-wash' and lessen their brightness). This had a minor effect, but most of it washed out right away. Still, they look a bit better.

I also sanded down the front of the legs (using plain sandpaper), added whiskars on the upper thighs and back of the legs (coarse-grit sandpaper wrapped around a thin metal rod), added a small hole in the knee (metal file), added wear to the edges of the pockets, belt loops, fly, waistband, and bottom hem (using a dremel tool and various attachments). I also cut the sides of the jeans 2" near the bottom hem for a more boot-cut fit. I have yet to wear them, though.

F4iryder14

Reaction score
I just ended up customizing a pair of light blue Armani jeans a bit. Â The wash was a solid light blue (looked too bright and white). Â I tried so hard to get them 'broken-in'. Â Over winter, I kicked them around my driveway, making sure to grind them in the salt, slush, oil, and grime. Â I let them sit out there for a few days in that condition. Â It washed out right away. Â I soaked them for a day straight in strong coffee (to give them a 'dirty-wash' and lessen their brightness). Â This had a minor effect, but most of it washed out right away. Â Still, they look a bit better. I also sanded down the front of the legs (using plain sandpaper), added whiskars on the upper thighs and back of the legs (coarse-grit sandpaper wrapped around a thin metal rod), added a small hole in the knee (metal file), added wear to the edges of the pockets, belt loops, fly, waistband, and bottom hem (using a dremel tool and various attachments). Â I also cut the sides of the jeans 2" near the bottom hem for a more boot-cut fit. Â I have yet to wear them, though.
Wear them... After all that work you at least owe that to yourself. I got tired just reading about the workout you and those poor jeans went through...
biggrin.gif
... Kicked around in the driveway??? I would have payed good money to see that...
wink.gif
Kevin

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just ended up customizing a pair of light blue Armani jeans a bit. Â The wash was a solid light blue (looked too bright and white). Â I tried so hard to get them 'broken-in'. Â Over winter, I kicked them around my driveway, making sure to grind them in the salt, slush, oil, and grime. Â I let them sit out there for a few days in that condition. Â It washed out right away. Â I soaked them for a day straight in strong coffee (to give them a 'dirty-wash' and lessen their brightness). Â This had a minor effect, but most of it washed out right away. Â Still, they look a bit better. I also sanded down the front of the legs (using plain sandpaper), added whiskars on the upper thighs and back of the legs (coarse-grit sandpaper wrapped around a thin metal rod), added a small hole in the knee (metal file), added wear to the edges of the pockets, belt loops, fly, waistband, and bottom hem (using a dremel tool and various attachments). Â I also cut the sides of the jeans 2" near the bottom hem for a more boot-cut fit. Â I have yet to wear them, though.
Wear them... Â After all that work you at least owe that to yourself. Â I got tired just reading about the workout you and those poor jeans went through...
biggrin.gif
... Kicked around in the driveway??? I would have payed good money to see that...
wink.gif
Kevin
Yeah, I'm sure my elderly neighbors wondered what the heck I was doing. I've been waiting for summer to wear them. They're a lighter blue, perfect for summer, plus for some reason they don't look right with shoes.

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Try taking a cheese grater to the jeans for the broken in look.

Also, for the summer I'm thinking of dunking various articles of clothing in salt water and letting them dry in the sun. I live on the beach, so this would be easy. It would look good for polo shirts and jeans. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
 Also, for the summer I'm thinking of dunking various articles of clothing in salt water and letting them dry in the sun. I live on the beach, so this would be easy. It would look good for polo shirts and jeans. I'll let you know how it turns out.
FYI - Ralph Lauren did this about 10 years ago - He sold Polo shirts that were "already broken in" and looked like you had been hanging out at a beach in the Hampton's all summer. It was part of the Polo line, but I don't remember the exact name of the style though.

Bradford

High_Roller

Reaction score
I think I'd rather play around with the cut and hardware than the wash. I want to rip out a waistband from a pair, but sew the beltoops back on, without the band. Maybe sew an extra waistband and a bit of the fly onto the top of another pair. Then the actual waist could be the one I attached, and the waist that originally was with the jeans would be more for aesthetic purposes. Another pair, I want to attach some toggle closures to the back pockets and near the bottom of each leg. Maybe rip a couple pockets and pieces out and sew some colorful (gold, maybe?) fabric under them. Then I could play around with spray paint, acrylic and fabric paint, patches, buttons, etc.

My ideas are pretty 'out there', but I want to experiment and see what happens.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads