• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Designing/Painting Your Own Shirts?

stylar

Reaction score
Do many of you experiment (paint, draw, etc) with cheap t-shirts?

samurai

Reaction score
BrettChao - Stomping a newbie. Six weeks in the Grampians for you, sorting trailmix.

Make a T the way you like it? I say yes, go for it - if it goes off course, it's only a T shirt...

lizmasc

Reaction score
Do you mean just draw and paint on top of your t-shirt or have someone design it and print it? Small advertising shops or printshops have a digitalesque kind of printer that prints t-shirts. They design on the computer and output it to the printer
smile.gif
smiley2.gif

stylar

Reaction score
Originally Posted by samurai
BrettChao - Stomping a newbie. Six weeks in the Grampians for you, sorting trailmix.

Make a T the way you like it? I say yes, go for it - if it goes off course, it's only a T shirt...

it came out decent. i was only hoping to wear it as an undershirt to a hoodie and it works for that. it only cost two dollars and 5 minutes to make as well.

hamish5178

Reaction score
Originally Posted by stylar
it came out decent. i was only hoping to wear it as an undershirt to a hoodie and it works for that. it only cost two dollars and 5 minutes to make as well.

I know many people that would pay $100 for that.

Listi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know a couple of people who do this for fun and sell them for $20ish. I wear them if I'm bumming around in the summer because they're cool.

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
I haven't in a while but I used to make striped shirts. I was using masking tape and spray paint, and thought I should make a template with cardboard or something as I was using 1/3 of a roll of masking tape per shirt.

If I ever had a lot of time on my hands, and decent shirts I might make a few more.

I would really love to learn how to screen print.

stylar

Reaction score
I actually just used some water color paints that I last used for finger painting in the 90s.
What kinds/brands of paint would be best to used if I wanted to keep experimenting?
Thanks

samurai

Reaction score
Originally Posted by stylar
I actually just used some water color paints that I last used for finger painting in the 90s.
What kinds/brands of paint would be best to used if I wanted to keep experimenting?
Thanks

The T looks pretty good methinks. But watercolor will probably come out in the wash.

There are fabric paints available - I saw some the other day at a fabric store. Then of course there is house paint, which also comes in small cans and many colors. Don't knock it - house paint was used by De Kooning and Jackson Pollock among others...

Listi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I totally plan on making myself some Jackson Pollock shirts when I find the time.

gearhead

Reaction score
i made a couple tshirts before, should have invested in silk screen set but was too cheap at the time and ended up hand painting them. took forever as i actually painted a woman's face i took from some hitchcock movie, anyways, i used acrylic paint, no water, which is permanent. Turned out great, only thing is though you can feel the layer of paint and it did toughen the shirt.

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I have time today, I'll post a couple of my old creations. Back in high school I was really in to stenciling, and I would just use the same stencils on t shirts..

(Including a 3-layer acetate ghostface killah)

crosswound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i think this is how the wolf shirt was created. this is also another person who cannot let go of the concept.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads