• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Designing a Mandarin/banded collar shirt

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Imagine you want to design a solid white Mandarin collar shirt just to try the look (quality black fabric is harder to source). What details would you have the tailor execute?

First, how exactly is the collar made if the shirt is not intended as a tuxedo shirt substitute? Just have the banded collar made with a slightly larger collar mother of pearl button?

Second, how should you have the cuffs made?

Third, it would be pretty useful to have the bottom squared so it is readily tucked out, right?

dl20

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nix the whole idea. You'll look like spock.

RE: squaring the bottom, why would you want to wear a banded collar shirt, out?

dl

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I dislike the look of banded collar shirts.

Either you look like you wandered from a motivational conference circa 1995 or a farmer.

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought it was the new trendy choice for formal wear?

kaxixi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear 'em, but only casually.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
They tend to be unflattering. It seems that be de-emphasizing the neck area and removing visual mass, the rest of the torso winds up looking bigger.

forsbergacct2000

Reaction score
Does not sound very handsome to me.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
They tend to be unflattering. It seems that be de-emphasizing the neck area and removing visual mass, the rest of the torso winds up looking bigger.

I thought that, being a little Asian and everything, you'd be all about the mandarin collar, Mafoo.

I keed, I keed.
smile.gif

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

+1

Though if you are in good shape and it fits, it might work.

Nice avatar mafoofan
worship.gif

kaxixi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes, they can often look a bit funny. I have a long neck, and I think they work especially poorly in this case (and I still wear them--maybe one day I'll snap a shot for waywn and see what happens).

mmkn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
gaiw6.jpg

If you're gonna do it, keep it simple like in the photo (e.g. no PS with a very well fitted and proportioned jacket and trousers).

To me, it's the least attention drawing of all collar types . . . as inscrutable as a typical Asian man's facial expression.

My attention is drawn more towards the jacket and trousers than the shirt or model's face.

- M

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads