• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 7: Castangia from SARTORIALE

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction is for a Castangia Suit or Sportcoat from SARTORIALE Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Designing a Mandarin/banded collar shirt

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Imagine you want to design a solid white Mandarin collar shirt just to try the look (quality black fabric is harder to source). What details would you have the tailor execute?

First, how exactly is the collar made if the shirt is not intended as a tuxedo shirt substitute? Just have the banded collar made with a slightly larger collar mother of pearl button?

Second, how should you have the cuffs made?

Third, it would be pretty useful to have the bottom squared so it is readily tucked out, right?

dl20

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nix the whole idea. You'll look like spock.

RE: squaring the bottom, why would you want to wear a banded collar shirt, out?

dl

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I dislike the look of banded collar shirts.

Either you look like you wandered from a motivational conference circa 1995 or a farmer.

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought it was the new trendy choice for formal wear?

kaxixi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear 'em, but only casually.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
They tend to be unflattering. It seems that be de-emphasizing the neck area and removing visual mass, the rest of the torso winds up looking bigger.

forsbergacct2000

Reaction score
Does not sound very handsome to me.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
They tend to be unflattering. It seems that be de-emphasizing the neck area and removing visual mass, the rest of the torso winds up looking bigger.

I thought that, being a little Asian and everything, you'd be all about the mandarin collar, Mafoo.

I keed, I keed.

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

+1

Though if you are in good shape and it fits, it might work.

Nice avatar mafoofan

kaxixi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes, they can often look a bit funny. I have a long neck, and I think they work especially poorly in this case (and I still wear them--maybe one day I'll snap a shot for waywn and see what happens).

mmkn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If you're gonna do it, keep it simple like in the photo (e.g. no PS with a very well fitted and proportioned jacket and trousers).

To me, it's the least attention drawing of all collar types . . . as inscrutable as a typical Asian man's facial expression.

My attention is drawn more towards the jacket and trousers than the shirt or model's face.

- M

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 30 3.7%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 141 17.4%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 265 32.6%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 129 15.9%