• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Designer" jeans' quality vs. lower end....

aspriel

Reaction score
How's it stack up? I find myself buying new jeans year in and year out not just on a spending spree, but because they wear themselves out and fall apart. My Levi's that I have are frayed and sad with inexplicably busted off belt loops.

Are the more high-end jeans better quality, or are you only paying for the name? I can't see myself spending 200 bucks on Diesels and 7FAM - but you never know.
laugh.gif

So, are Diesel/7FAM/Banana/APC/True Religion/Citizens of Humanity/etc/etc/etc actually higher quality and will stop the sad cycle of buy jeans and end up with frayed sad ones 5 months later?

The jeans that I go through the cycle with are typically Levi's 569s.

voltronf0rce

Reaction score
I'd say it depends on what you're using them for. If you're going to wear them hard from daily wear, such as heavy labor/lifting/bull riding, then I would suggest buying thicker jeans, unwashed, and non distressed (wrangler or even kirkland jeans).
If you're going to use them for looks and daily use, I would wear the high end labels you mentioned before. The high end labels cost more not because its more durable, but because of the distressing labor and the material costs (japanese denim vs non japanese denim, selvage vs non selvage, etc). As for these jeans being better quality, I say yes. But using better material does not mean its more durable. In general, thicker denim is going to last longer than any thinner denim, no matter the cost. In addition, distressed jeans are actually weaker in a sense that they have been "worn in". I can't see Diesel jeans lasting as long as raw Wranglers, under the same wear and tear.

Spencer Young

Reaction score
Also, consider what goes into the price of a pair of jeans. Something widely distributed, like 7FAM/True Religion/Citizens generally have more brand equity, and command higher prices. More obscure brands, in general, command higher prices due to higher quality denim and fitting niches better. When you're looking at denim, ask yourself how much pricing power the company has - you'll soon find that the more prevalent, popular jeans are not really the highest quality at all. I've found that my PDCs and APCs have taken quite a beating, if you're looking for longetivity.

Flame

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Levi's would be more durable due to the fact that people wear them for rodeos, construction work, etc.

Johnny5

Reaction score
i worn my diesel for 6 years.... engineering work... no crotch tear or ripped knees.... great stuff. but the quality of diesle now i am not sure

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I would say in terms of the popular brands, Diesel will probably give you the best durability. I've had a pair of Diesel Kratts for probably 5 years and they have needed zero repairs in that time in probably 200+ days wear. I've owned my favorite pair of Seven Relaxed for nearly as long and they've gone through one repair in the crotch but are still going strong otherwise and they have probably 300 days wear in them at least, but are much softer denim and have some frays in the lower thigh area where they are a bit worn, and in the knees as well. The diesels are a thicker denim and are in better shape but aren't as comfortable. Interestingly enough, the Diesels didn't stretch much at all in the waist and still measure within 0.25" of what they started out as, while the Sevens stretched a bit more, 1" or so.

PDC quality has dropped a bit of late, but I have a pair of GTO 3 years that I probably wore 75 times that held up OK except in the left knee, which frayed. They were MUCH softer than the sevens or diesels I mentioned earlier though, I have two other pairs of GTOs that have probably equal wear that are more or less flawless so that one might just have been an anomaly.

denimNoobie

Reaction score
"Are the more high-end jeans better quality, or are you only paying for the name? I can't see myself spending 200 bucks on Diesels and 7FAM - but you never know.
laugh.gif
"

Quality and durability are not the same thing. A pair of kirkland denim may last as long as a pair of Antiks or Bucklers but it won't look as good.

One pays more for denim for the fit, the wash, and whatever else the designer may have added. I have a $200 pair of Bucklers, a great wash, resin coating, heavy tannin wash giving it a brownish tone. It won't last any longer than a $35 dollar Kirkland.

If I'm going to cut the grass I'm going to take off my Bucklers and put on a pair of beat-up, uguly kirklands.

IMHO Diesels and 7FAM are mediocre, over rated denim. The only reason to purchase them is so that others know that you spent the money. Bucklers and Yanuks -- two among many -- are worth your while looking at.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flame
Levi's would be more durable due to the fact that people wear them for rodeos, construction work, etc.
I doubt that. The only pair of jeans I have that's actually torn is my pair of 527s. Levi's lower end stuff is really not well made at all. It's just cheap enough that burning through, say, six pairs in the same time it would take to bust a pair of Ironhearts is probably cheaper. I honestly find Levi's fairly overpriced for what you tend to get at the lower pricepoint.

aspriel

Reaction score
Interesting. I know Diesel has an outlet store near Chicago I could check out - I'm still not keen on the above-$80 prices for jeans. I've bought jeans at the Gap/Banana Republic once or twice for $78 and that made me wince.
redface.gif

StevenRocks

Reaction score
It's all in what's appropriate for your life. If you're hard on jeans, then no matter the cost avoid anything delicately made. If you're wearing them for style primarily, then go high-end but consider less expensive brands with flattering cuts and finshes.

cultpop 0217

I, Manface
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aspriel
Interesting. I know Diesel has an outlet store near Chicago I could check out - I'm still not keen on the above-$80 prices for jeans. I've bought jeans at the Gap/Banana Republic once or twice for $78 and that made me wince.
redface.gif

diesel makes some solid jeans. if you go for the heavier denim without a lot of distressing they will last. i live outside of chicago and a friend of mine works at that outlet store. they usually have some good deals.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads