• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Designer" Facial Products: Worth it?

gilwood

Reaction score
I was wondering what the general consensus is about these expensive "designer" facial products. i.e. Clarins, Jack Black, Anthony Logistics, Dr Brandt, Clinique, Zirh, or any other men's product you can find at sephora. This compared to anything you can find at a drugstore, i.e. Neutrogena, Nivea, Jergens, Aveeno, etc.

Some say there is no difference, others swear by it. I mentioned in another post how I used clarins products religiously for about a year and I got great results. I've gotten cheap and now I just use Neutrogena or Anthony and my has degraded. Or is it age? Please post your experiences...

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some are worth it and some aren't. I just use soap and Sephora's moisturizer anymore, but I've had Natura Bisse and other products from Neiman Marcus that were clearly better than anything a drugstore carried.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You haven't lived until you've slathered $200 lotion all over your face.

Swag22

Reaction score
I personally use the Clinique facial soap for men, and their M-gel lotion. Its really good.

jaydc7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use Clinique face wash and Kiehls lotion for men. Its more than the drugstore brands but not by that much and I find it works more effectively.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I used Clinique for a couple of years or so. It's good stuff but I later found significantly cheaper products that work just as well.

gilwood

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
I used Clinique for a couple of years or so. It's good stuff but I later found significantly cheaper products that work just as well.

Care to share what these other products are?

alex99

Reaction score
Several years ago I tried a bunch of facial cleansers, designer soaps, and moisturizers before I finally found a combination that worked. For face wash, I settled on Kiehls washable cleansing milk (I use it with a warm wash cloth in the shower). I have sensitive/dry skin and it was the only product that made my face feel clean but not irritated in any way.

For a moisturizer I asked my dermatologist and he recommended cetaphil facial moisturizer, which is thick enough to protect and moisturize, but doesn't clog pores and make me break out. It also has decent but not great sunscreen protection (SPF 15). Since using this combo I very rarely have acne and my face never looks or feels dried out.

The thing is, this combo works great for me but might not work great for other people. Everybody has different skin. You just have to find a combo that works based on your skin type/sensitivity. There are good and bad designer brands and good and bad drugstore brands too. Don't be fooled by the price tag, packaging, or smell. Instead look at your skin and see how you feel after using the product for a few days.

Hope this helps.

evor1

Reaction score
ive bought lots of high priced products from spas and feel they were a waste.

gilwood

Reaction score
I'm back to using clarins products again - The face wash and moisturizer. I have to say that using those over regular soap and aveeno is a world of difference. I was actually starting to get zits again using just soap and aveeno. Now that I'm back on clarins, my skin feels so much smoother and it looks very evenly toned. Maybe it's all perception, but I guess it works...

This is the stuff I use:
Face Wash

Moisture Balm

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin

fistbump.gif

Nananine

Reaction score
I struggled with continual acne breakouts (it's a hereditary thing) until I switched to Lush Charcoalface facial soap and Kiehl's moisturizer. Storebought brands either do not prevent or even worsen my breakouts. Besides, Lush and Kiehl's are hardly on the upper end of the scale of facial products.

Fun fact, the most anti-pimple treatment I've ever used was Hello Kitty Acnate from the mid-90's. Seriously. I'd put it on and the pimples would be gone by the morning. Too bad they don't make it anymore.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I use Clinique moisturizer. I think it's significantly better than the cheap stuff, but it's not light years beyond the drugstore product. I would say it's worth the extra cash, but it's not an absolute necessity. If I were in a pinch, or looking to save money, I would probably be willing to downgrade to the drugstore stuff.

I also use Anthony shave cream. Contrary to moisturizer this is something on which I will not compromise. The drugstore brands just don't have anything that compares. If I had to give up all of my shaving/face luxuries good shaving cream would be the last to go. In my opinion the quality difference is just too profound.

Jacksdad

Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin

you ain't kidding. Once you try it, nothing else will do.
bounce2.gif

When my wife and I were on our honeymoon at the Ritz Grand Cayman they had a La Prairie spa. For 10 days I lathered my body head to toe in some of the most expensive moisturizers money can buy.
inlove.gif

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
totally depends on the products. for things like shaving creams, after shaves and shampoos/conditioners, the difference between the store bought crap and "designer" is huge. for other things.. not so much.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads