• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Designer" Facial Products: Worth it?

Flame

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just went briefly through your blog, and I have to concur that avene water-based products works wonders for my oily skin. I used to use shu umera sunscreen milk, but it was too oily, switched to avene water-gel sunscreen and it worked out right.

SirWilliam

Reaction score
I have about $600 worth of La Prairie products in my medicine cabinet and I am not sure they are actually better than the cheaper stuff they smell really expensive and have stem cells from horses in them.

Tommy Trolley

Reaction score
I use Caswell-Massey aftershave cream, Sandalwood scented. A mild enough sting at first, and the scent accentuates any cologne I put on, as long as I don't overdo it. Lather soap is also sandalwood by The Art of Shaving. The aftershave cream is $30.00 for a 6oz. bottle. Not a bad price if you consider what a round of six shots of Patron costs at a bar.

Last (07) Christmas is when I started wet-shaving with a safety razor and DE blades. The Chicago State Street Macy's (the original Marshall Fields) has an Art of Shaving section and a Mertz Apothecary on the first floor. It's where I get all my shaving needs.

I also use All About Eyes by Clinique. It does seem to remove dark shadows under my eyes.

I love this forum! Nice to know I'm not the only guy not afraid to admit pampering himself.

XenoX101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm still waiting on the american psycho quote.

Tommy Trolley

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Xerxes
This is called the homosex

Not sure why that's got to be the case, Xerxes. If your trying to be funny or helpful, you're neither.

youdee

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SirWilliam
I have about $600 worth of La Prairie products in my medicine cabinet and I am not sure they are actually better than the cheaper stuff they smell really expensive and have stem cells from horses in them.

Their stuff sucks for the most part and stem cells won't do much/anything applied topically, the most you get out of them is some decent moisture but you can buy that at a fraction of the cost.

denning

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use MenScience Face wash, and Baxter of California moisturizers, face scrub. Tried a bunch of brands and these are the ones I settled on. Baxter products are not that expensive ($12 for moisturizer that lasts a year), really good quality, don't smell bad/strong.

When I was first researching this stuff to try to decide what to get I went to www.menessentials.com which has a good forum. I have also bought from them a couple times and have had fantastic experiences with them (not affiliated in any way).

Big A

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tommy Trolley
Not sure why that's got to be the case, Xerxes. If your trying to be funny or helpful, you're neither.

I disagree, he is both helpful and funny

SirWilliam

Reaction score
Originally Posted by youdee
Their stuff sucks for the most part and stem cells won't do much/anything applied topically, the most you get out of them is some decent moisture but you can buy that at a fraction of the cost.

Well I do not know if their products suck...I like them but I will concede that I could get the same result from a $30 creme. That said their Caviar Eye Essence does temporary hide the lines under my eyes and that one only costs $100 so I think it is worth it.

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Xerxes is still living the past. Back in the old glory days of the great King Darius. No, even way back when Alexander the Great burned the great ancient city of Persepolis.

Arch Stanton

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Xerxes
This is called the homosex

So let me get this straight! You use olive oil on your hair and your body??
eh.gif

And whats up with using the term "Homosex" in almost all of your post? I think your on the wrong forum troll! This isnt the NAMBLA web site!

Arch Stanton

Reaction score
and if you dont know, a homosex = man who takes penis **********, this is not a good thing!!!![/quote]

I think everyone on this forum knows what it means. But you mention it in almost all of your post. WTF! Why is always on your mind? Is there some deep dark feeling in your subconscious that makes you want to bring it up all the time?

Hmm, Olive oil, eggs and Homosex, which you mention in a majority of your posts = ****!

classic_girl

Reaction score
when u are a businessmen, u have to meet many other people higher level than. the appearance is very important because it shows your social position, your personality. your appearance can decide the result of meeting/compensation :succeed or fail.in this case, facial product is worth your money

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by auto90403
Every derm doc I've ever had (three in three different cities) swears by Cetaphil products. Must be some obscure federal law that requires them to recommend this brand.

They all say that using pretty much moisturizer and sunscreen, you're already ahead of 95% of the male population. If you like the brand and it doesn't cause problems with your skin, then it's fine.

When I asked my current derm why the expensive stuff felt as though it worked better, he said that's probably one reason why it costs so much. It doesn't have to feel good on your skin to be good for your skin.

So I use Cetaphil and have stopped paying attention to other brands.

+1 My wife goes to a dermatologist regularly and he pretty much said the same thing. Keep out of the sun, use sunscreen, and use moisturizer frequently. We have been using Cetaphil stuff at home for a long time, so it was reassuring to see that the derma office mainly uses their cleaners and moisturizers as well.

Another interesting site that I browse for my wife`s products is cosmeticscop.com as they have reviews of many of the major brands. While I don`t believe everything they say, it is a good starting point to weed out the expensive, but worthless brands/lines.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads