• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Designer discount stores

bigbadbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've seen you guys talk about stores like this before... but I can't recall all the ones that have been mentioned over time. List em here if you don't mind... especially if they are in/around Virginia.
biggrin.gif
Saks Just Off 5th Avenue Nordstrom Rack Century 21 TJ Maxx

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't overlook Marshalls. The other day I was there and they had some gorgeous light brown Corneliani suits for $199. Of course they were out of season and the sizes were less popular sizes, such as 46R and 48R. But if you are harder to fit size you can find some steals there.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here are the discount stores located in Northern Virginia that I know of, categorized by mall:

Potomac Mills Mall, Woodbridge, VA:
Off Fifth
Nordstrom Rack
TJ Maxx
Marshalls

Leesburg Premium Outlets, Leesburg, VA:
Barneys New York Outlet
Off Fifth

Pentagon City Mall, Arlington, VA:
Marshalls

Based upon my experiences, these stores are not that great unless you are looking for dress clothes (suits, dress shirts, ties) or basics (underwear, socks), although I have been pleasantly surprised on occasion.  Barneys and Off Fifth are the best of the lot, which is why I prefer Leesburg Premium Outlets (Potomac Mills is horribly overrated in my opinion).  In any event, you are probably better off at a seasonal sale at a department store -- the prices are comparable and the selection is much better.

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Send Steve B. a message. He'll give you the most comprehensive list of discount or anyother store in your area.

bigbadbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thanks for the replies. I have a Marshalls 2 minutes from where I work, I will check them out tomorrow. I wonder how "high" they go on the brand name scale...

bigbadbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just checked out the Leesburg outlet website... lots of good stuff there it seems. Probably a 2 1/2 hour drive for me, not too bad. I agree with you AC- Potomac Mills is horrible. Tyson's Corner is very nice if you don't care about getting a great deal.

I see the Leesburg spot has a Polo Factory Store... would they carry Purple Label in it? Wonder if I can get some good deals on PL there. Any idea?

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I see the Leesburg spot has a Polo Factory Store... would they carry Purple Label in it? Wonder if I can get some good deals on PL there. Any idea?
I doubt it.  Polo Factory Stores are very common (Potomac Mills has one as well) and are geared toward middle-range rather than high-end consumers; my impression is that polo shirts, oxfords, and khakis make up 90% of what they sell.  Of course, it never hurts to call up the store beforehand rather than driving 2+ hours only to end up disappointed.

Renwick

Reaction score
In Ohio there's Value City. I picked up some ties form D&G, Versace, Vivian Westwood, Gianfranco Ferre, and more there for under $10 each at their "California buy-out".

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
BBB:

AC covered the outlet malls I've been to. There's another Mills mall in Arundel (Hanover), MD if you want to drive that far. I agree with him on the Mills malls. I've gotten some great deals at them from coast to coast, but as with all outlet stores, it's catch as catch can.

Get familiar with the owners of your local specialty stores as well. The prices there are often pretty close to those at outlet malls. E-mail me for a list if you'd like one.

Mike C. Thanks for the plug.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads