• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Designer demin vs. denim brands

stormin10

Reaction score
the title might be a bit confusing, but, whats your opinion on designer denim ie; gucci, burberry, LV, and others vs. brands that specialize in denim; APC, PRPS, Nudie etc?

designer all name or actual craftsmanship?
i have several apc and prps, but was thinking about a pair of Gucci, same quality?

bombers

Reaction score
A lot of people have Diors denim and they seem like good stuff.

Abraxis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think he's talking about denim by companies that design new cuts versus companies that focus on high quality reproductions. Or possibly companies that focus more on materials (Denim with a pedigree/high quality) versus companies that focus more on design (Not necessarily excluding good denim).

I think it's too broad a topic since its very much a gradient. Maybe constrain your topic some.

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
IMO, Designer denim is more about fit while denim "brands" are more about quality of the denim, construction, handwork, etc.

Listi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dior is the only designer denim worth wearing. **** like D&G and LV and Prada is just... ****.

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Listi
Dior is the only designer denim worth wearing. **** like D&G and LV and Prada is just... ****.

One of my favorite pair of jeans is my McQueen jeans. The fit is very similar to my Diors, but the denim quality is kind of lacking. They're extremely soft though
smile.gif

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
it's like the porshe cayenne. Some companies (designers) just need to fill in that hole of offerings. Like, "well we've got to have some jeans right? I mean a LV customer comes to our store, we'd rather they buy our jeans then someone else's". So they make jeans. Doesn't mean they'll be bad, for example Dior and the likes still make quality products. In their case they ended up actually doing a damn good job. But the price IMO is not related to the product, so clearly it's more about a Dior pair of jeans then a very marketable/sellable pair of jeans. If Dior didn't care about their name, they'd drop the price and sell thousands of pairs. Even at the $200-250 mark, ie a premium, they'd be worth it and i'd bet more people would buy them. Then there's guys like Kiton who make jeans... or Gucci, or whoever.

madstaxbro

Reaction score
The only 'designer' jeans I've had were 19cm Dior spiders, from eBay.
But based on what I've seen and tried on in boutiques I say that while the majority of those jeans are cut well, the denim itself isn't all that great.
Too much emphasis on the silhouette and not enough effort on finding a good supply mill.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Abraxis
I think it's too broad a topic since its very much a gradient. Maybe constrain your topic some.
Or do a bit of research. People on here maybe buy similarly but typically it's because of shared interest, ie, worthwhile denim. The people sporting non-denimhead jeans are usually not (surprise!) denimheads.

Can we please also stop using "quality?"
Dior is the only designer denim worth wearing.
Perhaps true for top-tier, but I'd argue that for the price range Paul Smith is up there as well.

Abraxis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hrm, what's wrong with the word quality? Is it too subjective? I feel like there are a lot of non-subjective elements to quality even if it isn't as simple as country of denim origin or weight or selvedge/non-selvedge raw not raw designer not designer, etc etc. I personally wasn't talking about quality of denim anyways, but for certain reproductions. Some reproducers are somewhat fanatical and I think the final product conveys a sense of quality. Maybe some don't agree, but I consider myself a bit of a quality fetishist ;p So when I geek out on a piece a lot has to do with perceived quality in my mind
smile.gif
So it's somewhat tough for me not to use the word, but I also don't mind if other people don't agree or have different criteria. I'm just too self-centered to really be bothered by other peoples' opinions on the subject of quality unless they can take me to school.
smile.gif
When that happens I'm grateful though. New elements to geek out about = a good thing for me.

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stormin10
the title might be a bit confusing, but, whats your opinion on designer denim ie; gucci, burberry, LV, and others vs. brands that specialize in denim; APC, PRPS, Nudie etc? designer all name or actual craftsmanship? i have several apc and prps, but was thinking about a pair of Gucci, same quality?
lol8[1].gif
There are a few Dolce&Gabbana and Prada jeans I'd kop for the right price, don't have much experience with LV though Designer denim doesn't focus nor generally care about what denim purists want, they focus on the look and design (coatings, treatments, washes, colors, etc.)

macuser3of5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i like Acne as 'designer jeans' go since they play with the formula a bit; weird washes/colors/etc. Same with Dior. If I'm going standard raw blue I'll stick to some kind of classic selvege option, the red stripe just gets me.

Re: Gucci jeans, I know they produced selvage jeans at one point, pretty good quality too, not sure if this is still the case.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And of course, there are designer brands with a strong denim focus - Ring, for example, or Fullcount. And then there are denim brands that have branched out well beyond denim - Spurr and Rag&Bone, for example.

"Artisan" denim companies cater to a very specific, fetishistic customer. "Premium" denim companies (like Nudie and Seven, for example) are aimed squarely at the contemporary customer. "Designer" denim is aimed at the designer's customer, and may or may not have anything to do with the brand's core identity.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads