• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Designed by EG for PS - what does it mean please?

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
There's been a few ebay auctions that have had shoes with the marking 'Designed by Edward Green for Paul Stuart'. I know that Mr Harris has said that it means that they're made by EG when I posed this question in the middle of another thread, and I'm not going to doubt his expertise, but it just strikes me as a mighty strange way of putting it. Anyone any comments, facts, speculation etc?
rimshot.gif

argoth

Reaction score
Paul Stuart previously carried shoes made by Edward Green. This is much in the same way that Ralph Lauren Purple label is presently made by EG. I've never seen "Designed by EG for PS" shoes before, but they could be a different vintage. The EG for PS shoes I have seen were simply marked "Paul Stuart".

Paul Stuart no longer carries EG shoes, as they now carry shoes made by Grenson to Masterpiece standards. These shoes are merely stamped "Stuart's Choice"

Arg

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chobochobo
....but it just strikes me as a mighty strange way of putting it.
It might be a strange way of putting it, but that was the way it was done. The "sock" (insole lining) of the shoes had embossed the Paul Stuart dude sitting on his fence, below that "designed by Edward Green for Paul Stuart".

Of course they were "designed" by EG, they were just the standard EG models; but they were also manufactured by EG. (I've got one pair in my closet).

Mind you, the business relationship between EG and PS stopped at least eight, if not ten years ago. If they are unworn, they will be "dead stock", old merchandise which has survived (forgotten in a store room?) for unknown reasons.

well-kept

Reaction score
I have one pair of EG Paul Stuarts with the 'designed by' nomenclature and they are the standard EG Piccadilly loafer. They differ from the regular EG line in that they are a color I've never seen on other EGs - a warm, mid-toned mahogany, quite a beautiful color.

However... I once owned another pair of shoes marked "Designed by Edward Green for Paul Stuart" which were just that, made in the U.S. I've posted about them before. They were shell cordovan loafers, very much of an English style. No one here had encountered another pair and I donated mine to Goodwill a couple of years ago, regrettably. I think it may have happened that PS wanted shell cordos and EG declined to make them; as others have testified, they refuse to work with that leather. EG may have said 'Fine. We'll design the shoe. You get it made by someone else.' That's my best speculation.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In the mid 90's at PS, I recall seeing some odd "Designed by EG" shoes that I'd never seen in the London store, such as desert boots. They looked like Clarks.

well-kept

Reaction score
A pair of those was up on eBay recently. May still be listed. In a very non-EG kind of nubuck leather.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Here is a sample:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Edward-Green-f...QQcmdZViewItem

They are absolutely typical EG (although that particular model is not in the current EG catalogue).
Originally Posted by well-kept
In a very non-EG kind of nubuck leather.
I've seen these Nubuck Chukka boots on eBay; they were probably style "˜Banbury' and were made up in the leather of Paul Stuart's choice. Just in the same way RLPL shoes are a bit (but not too) different from EG's standard fare.

No idea where that sudden supply, here in the UK, springs from after some ten years.

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I picked up a pair of chestnut penny loafers marked 'EG designed for PS'. They're made in the US, the markings suggest a non-EG last and the heel nail pattern is not typical EG either. I'm not sure what role EG had in this archetypal loafer, it's not as though it was a new model car that needs to be 'designed'.

well-kept

Reaction score
Were those the 10.5s on eBay? If so I believe they're another pair of the U.S.-made EGs for PS I was talking about. From the 90s. Made most likely in Maine, not Goodyear welted but moccasin construction. In this particular case they look very much like the basic Answen shoes of that time, the design perhaps tweaked a bit by EG.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads