• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Design work I wish I'd done

Bromley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cool. I've been pouring over a great art deco book that delves into subcategories and influences on the style. (just returned it to the library, and don't remember title/author/publisher). As a tiki enthusiast, the "exotic" chapter has been my favorite art deco overlap.

Any examples or resources for the kind of combinations you mentioned?

Bromley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have always loved the direct, abrasive, and vital style of early punk posters. Especially some of those from...

Misfits 2.jpg
Misfits 3.jpg
Misfits 6.jpg

(Editor's note: At the Eagle's lodge for 5 bucks!)

GG poster 1.jpg
GG poster 2.jpeg

And nothing will ever detract from the delight I take in the aesthetic high-five returned by my favorite mid-90s Memphis rappers...

Triple Six poster.jpg
Tommy poster 2.jpg
Tommy poster 3.jpg

Cheers to style and substance.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Is that at the bookmaking place in SOMA/Potrero?

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Is that at the bookmaking place in SOMA/Potrero?

Yup. SF Center for the Book. I just finished their letterpress certification, but I’ve been taking classes there for 20 years.

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yup. SF Center for the Book. I just finished their letterpress certification, but I’ve been taking classes there for 20 years.
I went to an opening there, my wife had a piece in it. I think she may have taken a class as well. Great resource.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's cool. And to scale of the cap of a Bic Crystal ballpoint pen.

But how are the Mariposas Bruxa and -espelho ever getting off the ground?

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's cool. And to scale of the cap of a Bic Crystal ballpoint pen.

But how are the Mariposas Bruxa and -espelho ever getting off the ground?
Yes, the Bic cap thing is great, likely a very common pen in their notebooks.

I was wondering that too about the Bruxa and -espelho. I looked on Google but couldn't find any information regarding flight of those two (but they do migrate, even very far i.e. from Central America to Hawaii).

More revealing: according to Wiki, "the Mariposa Bruxa (Ascalapha odorata; "Black Witch") is associated with death or misfortune in the folklore of many Central American and Caribbean cultures (but in other countries they are associated with good fortune, or the soul moving on happily after death, etc.)"...so, if I happen upon a very still Bruxa in Guatemala or Jamaica or adjacent, I'll be the one flying away! :wink:

Last edited:

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Remarkable! What do you suppose the heated black liquid is that he applies to the hull? Tar?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads