• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Design work I wish I'd done

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
1956 is stronger.

I know it's aimed at parents. I think that maybe there will be a negative emotional reaction to associating a razor blade for example, with a child's plaything. This looks like the work of juniors thinking of award season.

lefty

P.S. just found it on Adweek:

Kids shouldn't play with razor blades, matches, chainsaws, cleavers or pills. Unless, of course, they're made of Play-Doh. The eye-catching ads are from Singapore, which needs better broadband access if Play-Doh's still a viable time-waster there. Compare and contrast these ads with the German campaign for Becks modeling clay, which, as we all know, played the social-issues card and made the world a better place. The Play-Doh tagline: "Safe no matter what you make." The stuff's even non-toxic, though if kids do eat it, what they'll eventually make won't be appealing. Via Ugly Doggy.UPDATE: Hasbro says the ads were approved to run once by a company employee in Singapore, but that the company will stop them from being submitted to any award shows.

—Posted by David Gianatasio

Last edited:

il ciclista

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
haha you're right, we tend to go crazy because we know it'll never get used. Good background info on it, thanks!

Anyone have any names of a good program that doesn't cost as much as adobe suite that can be used for typeface design? I know nothing about it but would really like to make one for my senior thesis.

justinsmnz

Reaction score
I've often thought about the fine line that charities like Goodwill walk when it comes to marketing. If they don't market, their mission can't be achieved. However, if they over market (or over design, as may be the case there) they run the risk of losing donors due to the appearance that they're "doing just fine and don't need my help."

Though, it their defense, it must be difficult to grow a charity when you haven't commandeered a color for an entire month or invented an entire industry based on silicon wrist bands...

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've often thought about the fine line that charities like Goodwill walk when it comes to marketing. If they don't market, their mission can't be achieved. However, if they over market (or over design, as may be the case there) they run the risk of losing donors due to the appearance that they're "doing just fine and don't need my help."

I don't mean to direct this at you personally, but it kind of cheeses me that people associate good design with spending a lot of money, and often use that as an excuse for their bad designs. Good design can sometimes cost more, but what it requires is a lot of thought, and a lot of people are just lazy. There are so many non-profits that suffer from this unfortunate mindset.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
$625,000

$35

(Later upped to 500 shares - approx $600,000 today.)

lefty

Last edited:

justinsmnz

Reaction score

I don't mean to direct this at you personally, but it kind of cheeses me that people associate good design with spending a lot of money, and often use that as an excuse for their bad designs. Good design can sometimes cost more, but what it requires is a lot of thought, and a lot of people are just lazy. There are so many non-profits that suffer from this unfortunate mindset.

Oh, I agree 100%. Obviously what I said was meant to describe what the general population interprets when it comes to marketing campaigns and, more specifically, design.

That's why the number one rule being taught in ad schools right now is that perception is reality. Sadly, it's not even meant in the intelligent use of the phrase when observed in good design.

il ciclista

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

To hire a company that does good work in generally expensive. Goodwill couldn't afford pentagram obviously, but they could afford someone who freelances. However, you then run into the issue of a graphic designer making every decision and not having some marketing people, copywriters, art directors, etc. putting in their thoughts.
I was watching a show how a company had their interior designers doing the ad work! hahaha wtf is that all about, besides a recipe for failure.

I see goodwill signs on billboards and they're cheap and cliche but that's what I expect from them. I don't think they are targeting a market where they need anything else honestly. That's like if Walmart started doing a route like Target. I bet money a lot of poorer people would stop shopping there because it looks too expensive. When I lived in BFE Georgia people would go to Walmart because Target just looked too expensive. I know this because I'd ask why they didn't go there because it was a lot less packed. Like someone just said, perception is reality.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Couldn't a top dollar company do it pro-bono for them and write it off?

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^ Probably a little bit of both - cash and pro-bono. I've done many PSA for cost.

Ford uses "La Linea" in their new C-Max spots.

lefty

Last edited:

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Illusion font.

Google honours Winsor McCay.

How "Just Do It" was coined.

lefty

Last edited:

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Blue is the most popular colour on the web.

lefty

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Now that you posted this, I noticed. Blue really is ubiquitous in logo's. We even used an overdose of blue for the website of the company we're starting..

Interestingly, I now see the value of differentiating a bit as well. Currently I'm dealing with a PE fund thats run by women, for women and focuses on businesses run by women. Main color they use? Red.

This weekend I'll be visiting the Dutch Design Week.
http://www.ddw.nl/index.php?lang=en
I'll try to make some pictures, by now I'm feeling guilty about not having posted anything in this thread...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads