1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Design work I wish I'd done

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by lefty, May 26, 2011.

1. lefty

lefty Senior member

I'm going to leave these as large as possible.

Photographic portraits by artists Alexa Meade and Sheila Vand.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

lefty

4 people like this.
  2. lefty

lefty Senior member

3. A Y

A Y Senior member

I would not wish to be this designer:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2012/12/uc-drops-new-logo.html

(Old one on left, new one on right)
    [​IMG]

It just goes to show that the client is just as important to the design process as the designer. Client with bad taste or no idea what their institution represents = bad results.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2012
  4. lefty

lefty Senior member

Yeah, that's pretty ugly.

In other design news:

Quote: lefty

Last edited: Dec 18, 2012
  5. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

For some reason I prefer photos of Picasso over paintings by Picasso.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
  6. lefty

lefty Senior member

^ Want.

lefty

7. justinsmnz

justinsmnz Senior member

8. lefty

lefty Senior member

That's great.

Van Gogh's self portrait as photo.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

lefty

9. lefty

lefty Senior member

National Geo show: The Last Roll of Kodachrome

"In 2009, when Kodak announced that production of Kodachrome film would be coming to an end, legendary photographer Steve McCurry saw an opportunity, and asked if the company would give him the final roll. Given his reputation and the many famed photographs he’s taken on Kodachrome, it’s no surprise Kodak said yes.
    As a tribute to this final roll, a crew from National Geographic decided to follow McCurry and document the momentous last 36 frames that would ever be shot on that film — the video below is the result."

lefty

Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  10. justinsmnz

justinsmnz Senior member

^ Amazing. However, by the end I couldn't help but wish that he had planned the project more thoroughly before loading the roll. Images of both Robert De Niro and a rural Indian snake-charmer/magician on the same roll would have been truly remarkable if the other 34 frames effectively filled the gaps in between. One Hollywood actor, three Bollywood actors, and about 30 random Indian villagers really doesn't strike me as an effective or coherent tribute to Kodachrome's history.

Of course I certainly couldn't have done any better, haha.

11. alex99

alex99 Senior member

I just picked this up (I'm a recovering photobook collector):

[​IMG]

It's thin and has the crappiest quality paper, but it's a great idea and I can photocopy the pages to keep the original clean.

Publisher's Description:
    Most Popular of All Time is the result of a survey of the many online lists of the most popular photographs of all time. These photographs have become so ubiquitous that it is hard to see their content and they have become detached from their context. Here MacDonaldStrand have reduced them to a series of lines and numbered dots and turned them into dot-to-dot drawings, inviting the owner of Most Popular of All Time to navigate a new hands-on reevaluation of these iconic images. 

More here:

http://blog.photoeye.com/2013/01/best-books-closer-look-most-popular-of.html

Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
  12. lefty

lefty Senior member

Interesting.

I'll stick this here.

Quote: [​IMG]
    1909 | CANADA - National Geographic funded Cmdr. Robert E. Peary’s 1909 expedition to the North Pole. Whether Peary and his assistant, Matthew Henson, reached the Pole or not, they came closer to that goal than anyone before them. (Photo © Robert E. Peary Collection, NGS)

[​IMG]
    1909 | ALASKA, UNITED STATES - Washing his films in iceberg-choked seawater was an everyday chore for photographer Oscar D. Von Engeln during the summer months he spent on a National Geographic-sponsored expedition in Alaska. (Photo by Oscar D. Von Engeln) #

[​IMG]
    MACHU PICCHU, PERU - Hiram Bingham poses for an informal picture in front of his tent at Machu Picchu, the lost mountaintop city of the Inca in the Peruvian Andes. National Geographic supported Bingham’s excavations at the site from 1912 to 1915. (Photo by Hiram Bingham) #

[​IMG]

1915 | CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES - Gilbert H. Grosvenor, first full-time editor of National Geographic magazine, awakens after a night spent beneath a giant sequoia tree during his first trip to California’s Sierra Nevada mountains. After this visit, he lobbied for passage of a bill that created the National Park Service in 1916. (Photo © Gilbert H. Grosvenor Collection) #

[​IMG]
    1931 | AFGHANISTAN - In his favorite picture, legendary National Geographic photojournalist Maynard Owen Williams marveled how, in this Herat, Afghanistan, bazaar, no one blinked during the three seconds required to make the exposure. (Photo by Maynard Owen Williams) #

[​IMG]
    1935 | SOUTH DAKOTA, UNITED STATES - The National Geographic-Army Air Corps stratosphere balloon Explorer II prepares to rise from the Stratobowl near Rapid City, S.D., on Nov 11, 1935. It carried two “aeronauts” 72,395 feet (nearly 14 miles) into the stratosphere — the highest men would go for the next 21 years. (Photo by H. Lee Wells) #

[​IMG]
    LA VENTA, TABASCO. MEXICO - Beginning in 1938, Matthew Stirling, chief of the Smithsonian Bureau of American Ethnology, led eight National Geographic-sponsored expeditions to Tabasco and Veracruz in Mexico. He uncovered 11 colossal stone heads, evidence of the ancient Olmec civilization that had lain buried for 15 centuries. (Photo by Richard Hewitt Stewart) #

[​IMG]
    TANZANIA - Paleontologist and National Geographic grantee Louis Leakey and his family inspect the campsite of an early hominid at Tanzania’s Olduvai Gorge. (Photo by Robert Sisson) #

[​IMG]
    1964 | TANZANIA - A touching moment between primatologist and National Geographic grantee Jane Goodall and young chimpanzee Flint at Tanzania’s Gombe Stream Reserve. (Photo by Hugo van Lawick) #

[​IMG]
    1963 | NEPAL - The first American team to summit Mount Everest in 1963 included National Geographic’s Barry Bishop. (Photo by Barry Bishop) #

lefty

1 person likes this.
  13. justinsmnz

justinsmnz Senior member

Couldn't stop smiling -

Bianca Giaever
    "the Scared is scared"

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Last edited: Feb 9, 2013
  14. justinsmnz

justinsmnz Senior member

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
    2 people like this.
  15. A Y

A Y Senior member

So this is getting turned on tonight: 25000 Internet-addressable LEDs on the San Francisco Bay Bridge. Is anyone going to watch it tonight?

http://arstechnica.com/business/201...s-a-glowing-network-of-ethernet-enabled-leds/

A computer simulation:

16. UnnamedPlayer

UnnamedPlayer Senior member

17. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

I remember when these lincoln commercials came out.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

quick 30 seconds adds that just stitched those songs into my brain for months.... Cat Power actually covered david bowie in the 2nd one. I think the music overpowered the whole add... I didn't even care about lincolns they were trying to peddle, but they did actually manage to make typical american cars look really cool for 30 seconds.

18. lefty

lefty Senior member

Those are pretty cool.

This is driving me crazy but did you recently post the cover of "The Pigman" in some thread? Haven't thought about that book in years.

Meanwhile...

http://everyfuckingwebsite.com/#

lefty

19. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

yup some poster was complaining about an old man trying to strike a conversation with him so mentioned that the old man may be lonely/depressed and posted The Pigman cover. we had to read the book in middleschool.

I remember when Brooklyn had takashi murakami's show in 2008. Out in front of the Brooklyn Museum of Art there were street vendor's hawking fake Louie Vuitton bags in hastily made kiosks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

only the thing was.... the bags were being sold by typical street vendor looking people actually authentic $5,000 Louis Vuitton bags. . its like he's the art world version of an insult comic.

I personally love Murakami's art (especially his huge pictures).... but then again its kind of tongue and cheek because he doesn't even really make the big art himself (its just made by his "factory/workers").

even more tongue and cheek?

he even had a operating Louis Vuitton Store right in the middle of the exhibit:

[​IMG]

I get jealous of guys that can pull of the art + commerce + hype so nonchalantly and seamlessly.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  20. A Y

A Y Senior member

Technology's finally caught up to Norman McLaren:

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

For me, the most visually stunning sequence starts around 8:55.

It was apparently done in After Effects using compositing and good old-fashioned rotoscoping. More info about the production (but not the techniques) here:

http://chorosfilm.com

1 person likes this.