• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Design-heavy, Streetwear-friendly Watch

Manny Calavera

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OK, so I've decided I need a watch. I want something eclectic but in the form of a "traditional watch" (I don't know if that makes sense as I know little to nothing about watches). Nothing like a Nooka. I really don't want to spend over a grand but I want something of quality. Any suggestions?

nomovement

Reaction score
nothing over a grand? jesus, I can't wit until I'm out of school. design heavy? try ikepod, mark newson designed a few of their watches in the late 90's-if you're lucky you might find some for around a grand. Nike kinda swied their style though. Allessi is selling watches to for really relly cheap and they're designed by real designers. Go look at hivemodern.com cool stuff by karim rashid (pompus ass) and piero lissoni (genius)...or you could get one of those StarckxFossil watches for around 1/10th of your max. actually you could get every watch I listed above besides the ikepod and still have $700 to play with. then, I think all of sf will tell you to look for a hamilton. (I would go on ebay and find an old Rado from the 60's for $30-50 and have a jewler revive it. then you'll still have about $500 left hmm. maybe I should major in spending other people's money.

WatchGuy

Reaction score
As nomovement suggests, take a look at Hamilton. Or, if you don't mind second-hand watches, there are a lot to choose from that are high quality. Omega, Sinn and Seiko are good ones to take a look at as well.

chim

Reaction score
this is 420 dollars, seems to match your description

azn8oi

Reaction score
http://www.nike.com/index.jhtml?prod...US&co=US&la=EN

It looks like a nade
boxing[1].gif

nastyandy

Reaction score
One of the most versatile and stylish watches that I own is the Ventura V-Tronic. It's somewhat thick and extremely durable, with a curved sapphire crystal and modern styling, in fact it was designed by architect Hannes Wettstein. The V-tronic is a quartz version, and if you drop a few extra you can pick it up in automatic, called the V-matic.

Although the MSRP is $1200, I got mine a few years ago on Overstock for $400, and I have never seen them sell for anywhere near even $1000, so you should be able to fit it in your budget. However, they are becoming a little more scarce and harder to find.

Here's a couple shots of mine:

Ventura.jpg

Venturaside.jpg

Brian SD

Reaction score
it's been recommended before, but there's no reason not to recommend the Max Bill watch again.

nomovement

Reaction score
the other watches on the site brian sd mentioned are cooler than the standby max bill. look at the mondiami watches in the momastore if you're into that.

Manny Calavera

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nomovement
look at the mondiami watches in the momastore if you're into that.

Was actually checking that out awhile ago.
smile.gif
Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

soultek

Reaction score
I second the Hamilton recommendation. I've had a Khaki Automatic w/ a metal band for 3 years now, wear it every day and love it. It will stay wound for about 24-36 hrs. if left off your wrist. The crystal is very scratch resistant. I've banged this thing into metal poles and concrete before and it doesn't have a scratch on it. The steel band is relatively scratch resistant compared to other similar watches I've had. 1/5th sec. ticks is a nice touch. I paid 270$ for it. only complaint is that the glow of the numbers and hands is very short lived, but i think this would be the case with any non-radioactive illuminescence.

I also like Marathon watches. pretty affordable and unique

http://www.gnomonwatches.com/marathon.htm

Violinist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jonglover
OK, so I've decided I need a watch. I want something eclectic but in the form of a "traditional watch" (I don't know if that makes sense as I know little to nothing about watches). Nothing like a Nooka. I really don't want to spend over a grand but I want something of quality. Any suggestions?

Panerai. I got an 005, and can be found in the seconday market for around $3000.

Oops didn't see your budget... get an Oris.

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
are vintage 70's era seikos worth it? i've been spying some on ebay for under $100 and they look nice, just curious what anyone else thought

19045989_o.jpg

20305058_o.jpg

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
bump, help are the seikos any good, about to bid on one

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads