• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Derby wingtip vs loafers for everyday casual/ultra-casual setup

knightfox

Reaction score
I have AE Fifth Avenue in dark chilli. Planning to buy a derby/loafer for casual or ultra-casual setup. I want this shoe to be worn as an everyday casual shoe for Jeans/Chinos/Slacks with OCBD/T-shirt tucked or untucked without Jacket. My office is ultra-casual so no issues there. Out of two shoes, which one should I go for?

Attachments

• t160.png
    t160.png
    977.6 KB · Views: 109
  • z108.png
    z108.png
    476.8 KB · Views: 105

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Personally wouldn’t wear those wingtips in any of the situations you describe…only would wear with tailored trousers. If you’re set on derbies like that I’d look for them in suede or maybe a scotch grain leather. Grant Stone has a lot of bluchers/derbies that could work here.

loafers would certainly be better for what you’re describing but a more rounded toe style might look better with what you’re describing.

knightfox

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the reply. Appreciate it. What I understand is derby,monk,loafers and boots can be worn casually but “casual” here is one notch down from formal and not ultra casual. They are not direct replacement to sneakers or trainers. Everyone in my office wear trainers or sneakers and very few in blazer wear black derby. I rarely seen people dressing like pictures posted in style forum.

I’m interested to know what do you wear for ultra casual situation like a jeans/chinos with tshirt or ocbd. What would be your goto shoe when going to pickup milk?

notdos

Reaction score
Suede or Patina’d Chelsea boots for me.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OCBD and chinos at the office? I’d wear penny loafers (suede or calf, but a rounded toe like Alden). I think the ones you posted would work for that situation

I wouldn’t ever wear a T-shirt to work but if I had a T-shirt and jeans on to get milk I’d wear sneakers or camp Mocs (which I wear all the time for all sorts of things).

think about the derbies you posted compared to something like this:

Surely you can tell that this is more casual than what you posted (even though they’re both derbies), right? These would go much better with jeans than the shiny dressier shoes in your original post.

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree that wingtip needs tailored trousers. As others have said, I'd go for one in suede or grain. The Crockett & Jones Pembroke in Scotch Grain works well with jeans.

Daniel Hakimi

Reaction score
From the title: loafers.

Looking at the shoes... neither. Those loafers are still too dressy for "ultra-casual" vibes.

Maybe as you wear them, as they age, as long as you're not, like, wax polishing them, the shine will dull and the last and details will work....

If you do want to buy from allen edmonds... these are cool. From carmina, you might like these. Those are going to look better with jeans and stuff.

If you really want ultra-casual loafers... Rancourt and Quoddy on the crunchy ivy end, and Horatio and Blackstock & Weber and Aime Leon dore on the funky modern end.

knightfox

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. Which is more versatile of these colors for Navy/Grey/Charcoal/Khaki trousers/jeans/chinos.
1.png
2.jpg
3.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads