• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Derby shoes with a slim suit?

randomusername

Reaction score
I have both a charcoal and a navy suit from Theory (Xylo NP is the model) and I'm looking for a pair of shoes to wear with them. My first and only pair of dress shoes are black Alden cap-toe bal's (mainly for interviews) and I was thinking to go with brown derby shoes in order to get some variation in style and color. The specific shoe I was looking at is this Crockett & Jones Draycott. Putting aside the difference in quality of Theory and C&J, would derby shoes look alright with a slim suit? Otherwise, is there a different model or maker you'd recommend as a first pair of brown shoes? And, since no store near me carries Crockett & Jones, would anyone who's seen the "chestnut burnished calf" color in person be able to comment on it?

retozimmermann

Reaction score
Hi randomuser :)

The C&J chestnut burnished calf is actually rather a bit redder than it appears in the photo you linked to. In my personal opinion it's a very nice colour but its not really a "normal" brown. So if you're after your first brown shoe, maybe a "dark brown" would be more the C&J colour you're looking for.

Whether the shoes suit the suit you linked to is difficult to judge. I tend towards "maybe but not perfectly". Have you looked at the 348 last?

Cheers
Reto

TC (Houston)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For a slim suit, I'd go with something on a sleeker last. Personally, I like monkstraps with slim suits. Lowndes and Monkton are both on the 348 last. You migh also consider Hallam or Edgware. I like the Hallam in the old Beechnut Burnished Calf. It's a bit lighter than the Dark Brown.

Reto is correct about the Chestnut Burnished Calf being redder than the C&J website pics suggest. Here's a pic of that color, disregard the appearance of antiquing, it's just a shadow. The upper part of the shoe captures the color pretty well on my monitor.

5097115855_83ea2fa2ff_z.jpg

5097712372_c62d653a04_z.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics