• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Derby shoes with a slim suit?

randomusername

Reaction score
I have both a charcoal and a navy suit from Theory (Xylo NP is the model) and I'm looking for a pair of shoes to wear with them. My first and only pair of dress shoes are black Alden cap-toe bal's (mainly for interviews) and I was thinking to go with brown derby shoes in order to get some variation in style and color. The specific shoe I was looking at is this Crockett & Jones Draycott. Putting aside the difference in quality of Theory and C&J, would derby shoes look alright with a slim suit? Otherwise, is there a different model or maker you'd recommend as a first pair of brown shoes? And, since no store near me carries Crockett & Jones, would anyone who's seen the "chestnut burnished calf" color in person be able to comment on it?

retozimmermann

Reaction score
Hi randomuser :)

The C&J chestnut burnished calf is actually rather a bit redder than it appears in the photo you linked to. In my personal opinion it's a very nice colour but its not really a "normal" brown. So if you're after your first brown shoe, maybe a "dark brown" would be more the C&J colour you're looking for.

Whether the shoes suit the suit you linked to is difficult to judge. I tend towards "maybe but not perfectly". Have you looked at the 348 last?

Cheers
Reto

TC (Houston)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For a slim suit, I'd go with something on a sleeker last. Personally, I like monkstraps with slim suits. Lowndes and Monkton are both on the 348 last. You migh also consider Hallam or Edgware. I like the Hallam in the old Beechnut Burnished Calf. It's a bit lighter than the Dark Brown.

Reto is correct about the Chestnut Burnished Calf being redder than the C&J website pics suggest. Here's a pic of that color, disregard the appearance of antiquing, it's just a shadow. The upper part of the shoe captures the color pretty well on my monitor.

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite pair of shoes to wear with jeans? (Choose two)

• Boots (Chelsea, Chukkas, Balmorals, etc.)

• Loafers

• Work boots (Red Wing, Wolverine, etc.)

• Monk strap shoes

• Oxford / Derby shoes

• Sneakers

Results are only viewable after voting.