• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Depressing post about my future. AKA me looking for career advice

Liam O

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Network Network Network

Thats what you do. My main job is service industry, my degree, when completed, will be largely useless, and I don't have any particularly unique marketable skills.

But I used my service industry job to access networks made up of affluent people in positions of power. I've got six standing job offers for when I graduate (if I decide against grad school) that are more or less guaranteed if I apply, all pay 60+k a year and have benefits, in a number of different fields.

I'm not saying this to brag, but to help you.

Networking will do more for you than skills, competency or education ever will. You just have to find a door and jam your foot in it til it opens.

bringusingoodale

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is exactly is networking?

It seems to have secured job offers you must have developed some sort of rapport beyond the compulsory etiquette.

Liam O

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is exactly is networking?
It seems to have secured job offers you must have developed some sort of rapport beyond the compulsory etiquette.

Definitely.

Realistically, all my job entailed (before I was made manager) was knowing the product, helping people pick it, and ringing them up.

What I've made a point of doing is getting to know my regulars, their businesses, and their interests. I pay close attention to all of my customers, I take the best care of them I can. Little things like letting them stay a bit late, occasionally giving someone a cigar I paid for, stocking the odd bottle of mediocre whisky (my boss doesn't generally maintain a liquor locker). Little things like that impress people a disproportionate amount. Likewise, taking an interest and asking questions in their area of expertise is a great way to make people think you're smarter than you are, and like you more than they should.

If one of my more affluent customers just moved, and is looking for a painter, or landscaper, or roofer, I'll recommend another customer or friend who I feel is particularly passionate or professional in that field based on my observations during my interaction with them.

There are a number of examples of situations where someone was wanting for something, and I knew someone reliable who could offer that good or service. It is key that both parties are reliable, broker bad deals and you'll be known as a bullshitter. I also make a point of never mentioning or expecting a finders fee.

If you do your job well, and it obvious that you're motivated, and keep people indebted to you, they'll likely pull whatever strings they have available to help you out down the road. If I refuse a 500$ finders fee now, they'll think they owe me a favor when a job opening I'm reasonably close to qualified for comes due in their company. I'll take a shot at a high paying job over a few hundred dollars 9 times out of 10.

Basically, make friends, be nice, do what you can for other people, and make sure they're the right people. If you do that, some of them will go out of their way to take care of you too.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

OP try banking, personal bankers start around 40K + bonus, its more sales than finance but u get to wear nice suits that you enjoy :D

Unless you work at Chase bank and have to wear black suits with that horrible shade of blue **** underneath. I always say to myself when I walk in the place that if I ever were to work at a commercial bank I wouldn't work at Chase based on thier color scheme alone. Horrible, just horrible.

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Unless you work at Chase bank and have to wear black suits with that horrible shade of blue **** underneath. I always say to myself when I walk in the place that if I ever were to work at a commercial bank I wouldn't work at Chase based on thier color scheme alone. Horrible, just horrible.

there are no rules about what color suit to wear

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Right now, with a communications degree and little work experience, I'd see if I could get into an entry level marketing position with a software company. There's almost always a shortage of workers in Silicon Valley, but it feels like we're getting back into a hiring frenzy like the early 2000s.

Make use of alumni network, friends, family, whatever connections you have to find out about companies and openings. A LinkedIn account is definitely key. Line up a job before you move if at all possible. Can you afford to be an unpaid intern for three months? That's about the best way possible to get your foot in the door.

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a hard time feeling sympathetic to someone who gets a college degree and THEN suddenly wakes up and realizes that his field of study: pays jack **** / has no jobs available / is not fulfilling / is not in line with his wonderful talents / (insert complaint here).

In fact, all of you precious little delicate flowers piss me off.

Want some advice? Go work in the ******* oil or gas fields in the midwest or the Gulf of Mexico. Or just get off your ass and do something.

Damn! I feel better now.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
You guys are gross. OP, best of luck.

Last edited:

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I have a hard time feeling sympathetic to someone who gets a college degree and THEN suddenly wakes up and realizes that his field of study: pays jack **** / has no jobs available / is not fulfilling / is not in line with his wonderful talents / (insert complaint here).
In fact, all of you precious little delicate flowers piss me off.
Want some advice? Go work in the ******* oil or gas fields in the midwest or the Gulf of Mexico. Or just get off your ass and do something.
Damn! I feel better now.

Those roughnecks make a lot of money. Most of them make like $15-$25 plus an hour depending on position plus OT and work 80-90 hours a week. You're basically working like 2-3 hours a day and the rest of the time is spent waiting around for the equipment to be ready. I've seen a bunch of guys make $10,000-$15,000 a month working at a drilling site.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
"The only thing more anguishing than being exploited is not being exploited" (Quoting Stig Dagerman from memory)

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Those roughnecks make a lot of money. Most of them make like $15-$25 plus an hour depending on position plus OT and work 80-90 hours a week. You're basically working like 2-3 hours a day and the rest of the time is spent waiting around for the equipment to be ready. I've seen a bunch of guys make $10,000-$15,000 a month working at a drilling site.

But it goes further than that. The OP has a degree and hopefully some maturity, intelligence and communication skills. Get out there, get to work and ADVANCE within the organization.

Or he can just sit at home feeling anxious about the situation and ask for advice on a clothing message board.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads