• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Department of Gender Blur

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ragpicking this weekend in a newly opened used clothing store near my apt. in Williamsburg, Brooklyn, called Pirate Supplies ("Buy'em by the yarrrrd.").

Many blazers for women were in the men's section.  When I noted this to the shop clerk, she said this was deliberate, and that many men like them because they fit more closely.

Williamsburg, Brooklyn, for those of you who don't know it, is full of creatively self-styled young people who often wear vintage clothing very badly.

But still, this men in women's man-tailored clothing could be the start, or the continuation, of something.

Bergdorf Goodwill

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ragpicking this weekend in a newly opened used clothing store near my apt. in Williamsburg, Brooklyn, called Pirate Supplies (Buy'em by the yarrrrd.").

Many blazers for women were in the men's section.  When I noted this to the shop clerk, she said this was deliberate, and that many men like them because they fit more closely.

Williamsburg, Brooklyn, for those of you who don't know it, is full of creatively self-styled young people who often wear vintage clothing very badly.

But still, this men in women's man-tailored clothing could be the start, or the continuation, of something.
It's something the tiny people with Dior in their eyes and five bucks in their wallets do.

I have a friend who's along these lines.

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What with the buttonning ? It's inverted on women's clothes. That would make you look weird.

.luc

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is Williamsburg. Wierd = a plus.

("Must show I am *creative.* *creative.* *creative.* *crea.....") [struck dumb by pang of anxiety over course of one's life]

Bergdorf Goodwill

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What with the buttonning ? It's inverted on women's clothes. That would make you look weird.

.luc
A certain lack of concern with the opinion of traditionalists is necessary.

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmmm. I too have been witness to this phenomenon, although I can't imagine in the conservative climate of Southeast Texas that this is attributable to anything other than the ineptitude or indolence of thrift store clerks.

Lydia

Reaction score
Why don't these conformists just go to law school and stop making asses of themselves trying to stand-out?  Get a job, grow a gut, and stick on a sack suit, you low-lifes.  Personal style can only be attained through slight differentiations from what has been the proper way for gentlemen to dress for over a century.  Dressing in tight pants, pointy shoes, and a tiny velvet jacket doesn't make you special in America.  I've been to Williamsburg, our Bohemia, and I have some friends there, too.  Poseurs - all of them - and parasites, too.  

Hey Losers:  Working in an indie video store, wearing eyeshadow, and living off your trust fund doesn't make you an artist.  No room for you in Ayn Rand land.   Slavishly following the trends of the moment is not creative, you bums, it just cuts off your circulation.  Please wear the baggy but tasteful clothes that everyone does if you want some respect.

PHV

Reaction score
Ragpicking this weekend in a newly opened used clothing store near my apt. in Williamsburg, Brooklyn, called Pirate Supplies ("Buy'em by the yarrrrd.").

Before Dior and Helmut Lang were doign the super slim fit thing, I know a guy who wore girl's jeans to get the right fit. He definately isn't weird or anything, but where we came from there was little offered...

Bergdorf Goodwill

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(mack11211 @ Feb. 21 2005,07:00) Ragpicking this weekend in a newly opened used clothing store near my apt. in Williamsburg, Brooklyn, called Pirate Supplies ("Buy'em by the yarrrrd."). Many blazers for women were in the men's section. Â When I noted this to the shop clerk, she said this was deliberate, and that many men like them because they fit more closely. Williamsburg, Brooklyn, for those of you who don't know it, is full of creatively self-styled young people who often wear vintage clothing very badly. But still, this men in women's man-tailored clothing could be the start, or the continuation, of something.
Before Dior and Helmut Lang were doign the super slim fit thing, I know a guy who wore girl's jeans to get the right fit. He definately isn't weird or anything, but where we came from there was little offered...
A lot of guys do this.

Brian SD

Reaction score
i used to as well in my scenester days, I wouldnt recommend it. do it enough and youre going to crush your balls. I could only wear them for a couple hours at a time. You can find very tight men's pants that have lower crotches to avoid such pains.

Lots of guys around here wear women's blazers as well. It's very obvious and looks pretty bad.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why don't these conformists just go to law school and stop making asses of themselves trying to stand-out? Get a job, grow a gut, and stick on a sack suit, you low-lifes. Personal style can only be attained through slight differentiations from what has been the proper way for gentlemen to dress for over a century. Dressing in tight pants, pointy shoes, and a tiny velvet jacket doesn't make you special in America. I've been to Williamsburg, our Bohemia, and I have some friends there, too. Poseurs - all of them - and parasites, too.

Hey Losers: Working in an indie video store, wearing eyeshadow, and living off your trust fund doesn't make you an artist. No room for you in Ayn Rand land. Slavishly following the trends of the moment is not creative, you bums, it just cuts off your circulation. Please wear the baggy but tasteful clothes that everyone does if you want some respect.

Ambiguous, slags everyone in style. Lydia, I nominate you as forum hipster.

linux_pro

Reaction score
Why don't these conformists just go to law school and stop making asses of themselves trying to stand-out? Get a job, grow a gut, and stick on a sack suit, you low-lifes. Personal style can only be attained through slight differentiations from what has been the proper way for gentlemen to dress for over a century. Dressing in tight pants, pointy shoes, and a tiny velvet jacket doesn't make you special in America. I've been to Williamsburg, our Bohemia, and I have some friends there, too. Poseurs - all of them - and parasites, too.

Hey Losers: Working in an indie video store, wearing eyeshadow, and living off your trust fund doesn't make you an artist. No room for you in Ayn Rand land. Slavishly following the trends of the moment is not creative, you bums, it just cuts off your circulation. Please wear the baggy but tasteful clothes that everyone does if you want some respect.
Ha ha ha ha. That was great.

But why do they have to practice law? Why not take up a career in medicine or the sciences?

stache

Reaction score
That must make the bust darts look strange.

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So tell us how you really feel.

johnw86

Reaction score
That must make the bust darts look strange.
Yeah, a tighter fit at the waist, with bonus room for your "man-boobs".
tounge.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads