• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Deodorant that wont stain shirts?

ramair57

Reaction score
any recommendations (preferably something u can get at a normal store)? I dont wanna ruin expensive stuff

8-Ball

Reaction score
Any deodorant with Aluminum will cause that yellow stain problem. Look for a product without it.

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
Actually, any sweat left on a shirt for any amount of time will stain the shirt yellow.

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use a brand called Toms which contains no aluminum. Since I switched over, I haven't noticed any yellow stains (and I used to have really bad stains). It isn't as day-long effective (Mitchum worked great), but does the job and the stains are gone.

cvac

Reaction score
Sweat can stain shirts but the aluminum in many deodorants and anti-perspirants will do far more damage than sweat. I sweat quite a bit in the summer b/c it's hot where I live and I have to adhere to a biz casual (no short sleeves) dress code in the summer time. I use Tom's of Maine deodorant and wear plain white undershirts under all my dress shirts. No problems with stained shirts. Another tip is to change out of your nice clothes or work clothes when possible. When you get home from work or going out and are still going to be up and about in the heat for awhile, change into jeans and a t-shirt. If you try that and you're shirts still get stained on the pits for some weird reason, my advice would be to pretreat them with Octagon Borax laundry soap before washing them. Alex Kabbaz also has a shirt washing / care guide you may want to check out. http://www.madisonavenuenyc.com/ASK/laund01.html Note: the Kirkman Borax soap (which is not the same thing as Kirkman Castille soap) he talks about is no longer made. Octagon Borax soap is readily available from a number of vendors online and on Amazon.com

Spencer Young

Reaction score
Another vote for Tom's. Their unscented deodorant is great - no aluminum, no stains, no yellowing.

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've had that problem in antiperspirants---but not plain deodorant. For example, Old Spice's Red Zone is an antiperspirant that contains aluminum, but their High Endurance line, which is only labeled deodorant, does not contain aluminum and doesn't stain give me those yellow pit stains. I don't think it's necessary to try a more expensive high-end brand when all you need is a product that isn't an antiperspirant (unless you wanted to go in that direction anyway).

Berticus

Reaction score
I think it's potassium aluminium sulfate? It's a big piece of salt I got from walgreens that I wet and rub all over my armpit. ---Edit--- Ammonium aluminium sulfate dodecahydrate

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've been using that toms of maine unscented stuff while I have been home for the holidays

At first putting it on felt weird (it had a different fell to it than any other deodorant) but it has been working well

83glt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by otc
I've been using that toms of maine unscented stuff while I have been home for the holidays

At first putting it on felt weird (it had a different fell to it than any other deodorant) but it has been working well

I've found Tom's to be total crap. At the end of the day my pits stink as if I'd never worn anything. There is another "natural" brand I've used that is far superior - no aluminum. I can't remember what's it's called, but the plastic container is bright yellow. I highly recommend it for the natural, no aluminum deodorant.

Crooow

Reaction score
The post above me notwithstanding, another vote here for Tom's of Maine. I switched to it a couple of years ago, and have never had any problems with my shirts since.

spertia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also have switched to Tom's after using an anti-perspirant deodorant for many years. At first I thought I would really miss the anti-perspirant, but I haven't (thought admittedly the Tom's is not quite as effective as the old brand). It has been great to finally be able to wear white shirts without having to use an undershirt all the time.

TowleY

Reaction score
I use axe, I never get pit stains. Axe Dry Essence is by far my favorite.

amnesiac

Reaction score
^^say no to axe. i just don't like aerosol, or axe.

anyhow,
I use arm and hammer's natural line of deodorant which I like better than tom's which has a weird texture and applies weird if you don't dry your armpits out all the way out of the shower. I also use a salt spray deodorant from whole foods (lafe's, i think) for body, feet, etc. in addition. all of it unscented to allow for whatever scent i want to apply.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics