• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Deoderant recomendations

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It helps in the way of having the deodorant on your skin rather than hair.

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pubic hair holds the bacteria that causes odors (from what I understand). Sweat doesn't smell but the bacteria mixing with sweat does.

mr_economy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tck13
Pubic hair holds the bacteria that causes odors (from what I understand). Sweat doesn't smell but the bacteria mixing with sweat does.

Pretty close. The sweat glands in the armpits and pubic region are apocrine glands, which differ from the other sweat glands on the body. The sweat they produce is thicker and more milky. Hair in those areas traps bacteria, which feed on that special sweat - it is the waste products of the bacteria that cause the odor. This is why shaving one's pits works quite well - no hair, far less bacteria to poo on your underarms
smile.gif

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mr_economy
Pretty close. The sweat glands in the armpits and pubic region are apocrine glands, which differ from the other sweat glands on the body. The sweat they produce is thicker and more milky. Hair in those areas traps bacteria, which feed on that special sweat - it is the waste products of the bacteria that cause the odor. This is why shaving one's pits works quite well - no hair, far less bacteria to poo on your underarms
smile.gif

But that only matters if you sweat from your pits. If you don't, then there will be less stuff for the bacteria to feed on anyways. Personally, I prefer to use a liquid AlCl solution antiperspirant a few times a week to stop sweat than to be that weird guy who shaves his pits (I do trim, however, so that I never have hair comint out the sleeves of some of my shorter tshirts).

Doc Martin

Reaction score
Does using an antiperspirant cause you to sweat more from your face/head?

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Doc Martin
Does using an antiperspirant cause you to sweat more from your face/head?

A regular antiperspirant won't. In fact, a regular antiperspirant will likely make you sweat more from your pits, as your body works harder to sweat. With a product like Odaban, which completely stops sweating in the area applied, I find that I get more of what they call compensatory sweating from my chest, and sometimes back. However, I would take more sweat anywhere to avoid pit sweat, as it smells the worst, stains the most and looks the grossest.

visionology

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On the websites of the more "hardcore" anti-perspirant brands such as Drysol and Certain-Dri they make it clear than their product works to block the sweat pores in your arm pits and it is safe because your body automatically re-routs the sweat to other areas of your body. However since your entire body is covered with sweat pores they say it usually will not be noticeable in other areas. For example all the sweat isn't going to go to your feet, it will be dispersed.

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by visionology
On the websites of the more "hardcore" anti-perspirant brands such as Drysol and Certain-Dri they make it clear than their product works to block the sweat pores in your arm pits and it is safe because your body automatically re-routs the sweat to other areas of your body. However since your entire body is covered with sweat pores they say it usually will not be noticeable in other areas. For example all the sweat isn't going to go to your feet, it will be dispersed.

Yes, but I would imagine if you are, for example, a big foot sweater, that that area would become even sweatier, but I could be wrong. All I know is my pits are dry and don't stink, and beyond that I don't really care.

mgroup

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flame
Recently, summer has come upon and the sweltering heat has caused my pits to drip with sweat.

Is there an unscented deoderant that doesn't interfere with my EDTs and colognes? I normally shop at the Bath and Body works for such so a recommend of a product there is very appreciated.

You could always try a t-shirt that has protective underarm shields like these here:

http://www.kleinertsshields.com/products.php?cat=39

http://www.advantagewear.com/cart/mwv-7.htm

whynot

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DGP
I like one called Odaban, from www.odaban.com, better. Lasts longer, stings less, more powerful, and it is in a spray bottle, so it never leaks.

I got the recommendation from DGP a while ago. Works great. I bought two bottles online from Westons (UK). Fast shippping. Before this I was using Mitchum roll-ons which are good but Odaban is much better.

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whynot
I got the recommendation from DGP a while ago. Works great. I bought two bottles online from Westons (UK). Fast shippping. Before this I was using Mitchum roll-ons which are good but Odaban is much better.

What is Westons, and how fast do they ship? I have only ever ordered mine from the Odaban site, and my one complaint is that it takes up to three weeks to get an order. Hasn't been a problem for me yet, but I can just imagine if I leave mine in a hotel room, or run out or something and need a replacement sooner.

Impulse155

Reaction score
i use the axe

it smells as soon as u open it up but after that u dont smell it w/o actually trying to sniff ur armpit

dont use the spray its to strong

try to stay away from essence, for me, my bro, and a friend it made us gets swetty pits and itchy pits ( we dont share the sticks btw it was all different sticks)
smile.gif

higher

Reaction score
Vichy produces very nice deodorants. No smell, no spots and unisex. But the power depends on your personal characteristics

Tyto

Reaction score
I use the Trader Joe's house brand deodorant--unscented, no aluminum. I've been happy so far (been using it for about three months), but summer hasn't really hit hard yet, so I'm not sure how I'll fare w/o a true antiperspirant.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads