• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dental School Interview

Seahawk

Reaction score
Hi guys, I will be interviewing for dental school in about a month. I could use some advice.

I am going to go with a grey suit (a medium grey). I have previously bought suits at men's warehouse... But I am curious what I should look into for the next step up, if that exists while staying under 1k.

I am thinking white shirt with green or maybe purple/burgundy tie? (I have red hair, it's on the darker side of the spectrum but its definitely red, so I'm taking that into consideration).

As far as shoes/belt, I'm not sure what color to go with. Probably need the most help with that.

Thanks.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Black shoes and belt. This is an interview, after all, and going more conservative never hurts. White shirt, conservative tie. Not knowing what the patterns on your ties are like, I can't comment on if your choices are appropriate. The mid gray suit is a good choice. Around 1k, Brooks Brothers mainline is a decent option, especially if you get it on sale.

Also remember that as long as you don't make a wildly bad impression, how you dress isn't going to matter. Don't worry too much about the clothes and focus on getting the answer to the "tell me about yourself" question down pat.

Last edited:

gsugsu

Reaction score
I'm assuming you are in the U.S. Given the North American dental school environment the fact that you will wear a suit puts you above many. In reality, it does not matter and rarely factors in to the selection process. How you respond to the interview questions will decide if you are in or out.

However, you have made the choice to dress for the interview so follow the the previously mentioned advice. White shirt, black shoes and belt and the conservative tie advice is good to follow as this is a formal event. However, you would not do yourself a disservice if you paired your grey suit with brown shoes and belt and a light blue shirt plus the conservative tie. It would also make the outfit more useful for a variety of less formal situations. If you are only going to have one pair of dress shoes black might not be the most flexible for all occasions where you might wear a suit.

You do not necessarily need to purchase a new suit for the interview especially if you have a well fitting if not high end one already.

Are you comfortable wearing a suit and tie? Fit is key to suits in general and you do not want anything that will cause you to fidget, adjust yourself or pull at your collar like it is strangling you. Body language is almost important in dental interviews as your responses. You don't want your clothing to be a distraction for you.

An applicant in a nice suit who is nervous, stammering and twisting about is going to be on the outside looking in. The applicant who is modest, thoughtful and answers questions fully and completely in a strategic yet honest way will win out no matter how they are dressed (within reason).

You haven't said where you are located to give people an idea of where to direct you to shop.

Where are you interviewing?

wumingde

Reaction score

I'm assuming you are in the U.S. Given the North American dental school environment the fact that you will wear a suit puts you above many. In reality, it does not matter and rarely factors in to the selection process. How you respond to the interview questions will decide if you are in or out.
However, you have made the choice to dress for the interview so follow the the previously mentioned advice. White shirt, black shoes and belt and the conservative tie advice is good to follow as this is a formal event. However, you would not do yourself a disservice if you paired your grey suit with brown shoes and belt and a light blue shirt plus the conservative tie. It would also make the outfit more useful for a variety of less formal situations. If you are only going to have one pair of dress shoes black might not be the most flexible for all occasions where you might wear a suit.
You do not necessarily need to purchase a new suit for the interview especially if you have a well fitting if not high end one already.
Are you comfortable wearing a suit and tie? Fit is key to suits in general and you do not want anything that will cause you to fidget, adjust yourself or pull at your collar like it is strangling you. Body language is almost important in dental interviews as your responses. You don't want your clothing to be a distraction for you.
An applicant in a nice suit who is nervous, stammering and twisting about is going to be on the outside looking in. The applicant who is modest, thoughtful and answers questions fully and completely in a strategic yet honest way will win out no matter how they are dressed (within reason).
You haven't said where you are located to give people an idea of where to direct you to shop.
Where are you interviewing?

^^Good post. Pretty sums up the information the OP needs. Just don't get a black or flamboyant suit and you'll be good.

Seahawk

Reaction score
Thanks for the input so far.

I am from NC. I will be interviewing here and in the neighboring states.

I have looked at the Brooks Brothers suits online. There are some stores near-ish to me that I might go to. I have also heard this name Joseph A Bank tossed around but I know nothing about it.

Oh and I already have some brown dress shoes, brown/black belts...I have some black dress shoes too but they are loafers (probably not appropriate).

Last edited:

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jos. A Bank is lower end than Brooks, and the cuts are a little larger. Never buy anything from them at full retail, they mark everything way up and then have constant sales. Not the worst option in the world though.

gsugsu

Reaction score
^ +1 best to avoid JAB in favor of some other establishment with better suit silhouettes.

Don't wear the loafers with your suit. Choose an oxford shoe over a blucher.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input so far.

I am from NC. I will be interviewing here and in the neighboring states.

I have looked at the Brooks Brothers suits online. There are some stores near-ish to me that I might go to. I have also heard this name Joseph A Bank tossed around but I know nothing about it.

Oh and I already have some brown dress shoes, brown/black belts...I have some black dress shoes too but they are loafers (probably not appropriate). 
[/quote

How much do you anticipate spending? JA Bank is junk and its styles tend to be "current" for five years ago.
I have no idea what the local standards are. In a place like New York or Chicago they tend to be more sophisticated
and expensive. My Dad was a Dentist who dressed very well in an elegant trad style. It was a different, more formal
era. Many of his colleagues, however dressed poorly in comparison.

gsugsu

Reaction score
Dentists are notoriously bad dressers IMHO. Lots of disposable income does not necessarily translate into dressing well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads