• Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Passus Shoes. We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, Passus Shoes. Passus shoes was founded by long term members of the forum and veterans of the shoes business. and is dedicated to crafting fine shoes in Budapest in a time honored tradition. Please help me give them a warm welcome in their new affiliate vendor thread.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Denim you would bike in

whiskeybeard

Reaction score
I use my bike a lot to get to work/school, and just to get around. Not long distances usually, but there are some hills etc. What jeans would you get to feel comfortable biking in? Crotch wear is obviously a huge concern, so overall it seems you'd want:

- Sturdy crotch/stitching in general
- But not too heavy/rigid denim
- Overall awesome looking

The look I'm going for is basic slim, but not skinny-jean tight, in raw indigo. Suggestions?

Leif-fire-eater

Reaction score
I honestly think riding in denim is the worst. Check out pants from Swerve, Swobo, Chrome, etc. No pair of jeans I've ever owned has held up to bike riding.

whiskeybeard

Reaction score
This is true, it's not ideal. However, I wear denim almost every day and bike almost every day (for transportation, not for kicks.) So it seems my options are - Stop wearing denim so much - Stop biking so much - Find a pair of jeans that's workable (though not ideal) for biking And unfortunately the first two aren't really options, so...
EDIT: Maybe I should clarify -- in general I'm talking about 2-3 miles max. And it's not just work/school, I often bike to go out across town, so it's not like I want to be the guy who gets to the bar in his Chrome riders then dips into the bathroom to put on his denims..

Shorty Long

Reaction score
swerve make 'cycling' jeans...I haven't tried this particular product, but I enjoy other products from this label

http://www.swrvestore.com/servlet/Ca...=pants%26jeans

Originally Posted by whiskeybeard
This is true, it's not ideal. However, I wear denim almost every day and bike almost every day (for transportation, not for kicks.) So it seems my options are

- Stop wearing denim so much
- Stop biking so much
- Find a pair of jeans that's workable (though not ideal) for biking

And unfortunately the first two aren't really options, so...

whiskeybeard

Reaction score
Huh, those IHs do look cool. Too bad they're not available but I'll keep my eyes open for something similar.

I like the look of the Swerve cycling jeans a bit less to be honest, but they do look super comfortable. Would be interested to hear what others think.

In the end I do have the option to continue my current strategy of mostly wearing beater jeans (i.e., 511s) when I bike, and usually making the walk when I want to wear my nicer raw jeans, but it would be nice to have the best of both worlds..

word

Reaction score
Something with a bit of stretch to it like uniqlos t-000. They are cheap too.

2-3 miles on a bike is nothing unless you live in the mountains, so I wouldn't even bother trying to change when you arrive. Especially if you're just riding somewhere to hang out.

Tigerprawn

Reaction score
If its only 2-3 miles and nothing far any denim would do...

I rode a full year and 1/2 in nothing but my LVC 47s. I was doing ~20 miles a day though (to and from work).

gearhead

Reaction score
just bike in whatever denim u have
there are some expensive models that have reinforced layer in the crotch but honestly, i find to have that is too expensive and u may not like the fit
i would just ride in watever u got, and when push comes to shove, just patch up the holes, but get them while they are still small

whiskeybeard

Reaction score
It's true 2-3 miles isn't much, but that's each way, and my experience is that 5 miles daily -- with considerable hills -- does add up suprisingly quickly, depending on the fit/quality of your jeans.

Uniqlo is one I had considered. Not quite as easy to obtain, but you do see it on ebay sometimes. Can anyone comment on whether their raw/selvedge is worth ebay prices (around $70-90 I think)?

Maybe I can rephrase my original question slightly. For durability I was considering something like Iron Heart, which has a reputation for taking a beating/having great stitching. However, I had some concerns about how easy it would be to bike in such heavyweight denim. Does anyone have thoughts on this trade-off? (I've never handled IHs in person, so honestly I don't know how "heavy" feeling they really are in practice.)

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How do you feel about spending money on non-essential goods during the Covid-19 crisis?

• I don't want to spend money at a time of economic uncertainty, even if I could afford it.

• I feel compelled to spend to help small businesses that are struggling.

• I reduced my budget for non-essential goods and I'm not spending at the moment.

• Not much has changed for me and I'm still buying stuff I can't afford.

Results are only viewable after voting.