• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Denim with 1% Elastane

barondrake

Reaction score
Not too long ago, I purchased a pair of Nudie Thinn Finns in ultra-indigo-coated, which contain 1% Elastane to 99% cotton fibres, my first pair of jeans with any stretchy material at all. Elastane is another name for spandex. In the time I have had them, they have gotten slightly more loose in the seat while for the most part maintaining their tight fit about my calves and just above the knees. My girlfriend and I are in agreement that we are not super-thrilled with how they look around my waist and thighs, the net effect being described by her as "they look hippy" (in a non-granola-and-dreds way) and I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions for how I could possibly get around this. Is there a way to remove the elastane from the fabric without harming the cotton or indigo? I was thinking that if I could be rid of the elastane then I could make them at least somewhat uniform in the looseness and wear them kind of anti-fit. Other suggestions would be good, and I'm not looking to do anything ultra-drastic, but no reasonable suggestion will be overlooked!

Stylin-1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by barondrake
Not too long ago, I purchased a pair of Nudie Thinn Finns in ultra-indigo-coated, which contain 1% Elastane to 99% cotton fibres, my first pair of jeans with any stretchy material at all. Elastane is another name for spandex. In the time I have had them, they have gotten slightly more loose in the seat while for the most part maintaining their tight fit about my calves and just above the knees. My girlfriend and I are in agreement that we are not super-thrilled with how they look around my waist and thighs, the net effect being described by her as "they look hippy" (in a non-granola-and-dreds way) and I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions for how I could possibly get around this. Is there a way to remove the elastane from the fabric without harming the cotton or indigo? I was thinking that if I could be rid of the elastane then I could make them at least somewhat uniform in the looseness and wear them kind of anti-fit. Other suggestions would be good, and I'm not looking to do anything ultra-drastic, but no reasonable suggestion will be overlooked!
Is this a serious question?
eh.gif

barondrake

Reaction score
Yeah, I dunno, like stretching them out with something and throwing them in the drier on hot or something... I dunno, I asked for a legitimate reason, if there isn't a plausible solution then that's fine, but I don't think my question is invalid, really.

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I dunno, like stretching them out with something and throwing them in the drier on hot or something... I dunno, I asked for a legitimate reason, if there isn't a plausible solution then that's fine, but I don't think my question is invalid, really.

au contraire...

Stylin-1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just makin' sure. There really isn't much you can do, other than turn these into your beater jeans and buy a new pair. IMO, any type of elastic ruins most any article of clothing, even at 1%.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
You can't remove the elastane, but you could try shrinking the cotton by soaking the loose part in hot water and tossing them in a hot dryer (I'd do it inside out). It's worth a shot I guess.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Why don't you just eat more and get a fatter ass to fit into them?

Why should the jeans have to mold to you and not vice versa?

crush

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
Why don't you just eat more and get a fatter ass to fit into them?

Why should the jeans have to mold to you and not vice versa?

a method tested by yourself, i guess?
devil.gif

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Wtf!?!

v0rtex

Reaction score
It'd be like removing the sugar from a can of coke (or high fructose corn syrup if you're in the US). Shrinking the cotton or super-stretching the fabric will just end up deforming the garment.

I've had a couple of garments with elastane in - a pair of skinny black Diesel StyleLab jeans which have held up well and fit marvelously and an H&M dress shirt which fit well for about 3 washes and then lost its shape. Seems to be good for garments you only wear irregularly or don't mind if they last less than a season or two.

Rye GB

Angry Englishman
Reaction score
BLEACH! Use alot.......... this will destroy the spandex and unfortunately the original color. You can then overdye Black or Indigo.

barondrake

Reaction score
Thanks, Vortex, I guess that is what I needed to hear. I don't think they look so bad that I am willing to try near-destroying them in the process, but oh well. Lesson learned: stick to slim-jims.

Contingency Plan

Reaction score
^ Just so you know, there are versions of the Thin Finn that don't contain elastane.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads