• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Denim Tailor in NYC?

B^2

Reaction score
I know there are several threads on tailors for suits etc in nyc, and stores who do chain-stitching for jeans but I'm looking for some more current information on a tailor that can make the legs of my jeans a little slimmer. Right now they seem to be a boot cut and I'd love to go for more of a slim straight leg type look. I got them at earnest sewn but I don't see anything on their website about tailoring. I'd prefer to go to someone who either specializes in denim or has a solid amount of experience in it. If I have another pair of jeans that I like the fit of, should I take those in so they can try and match up the measurements of the legs? I know the rise and those things will be different but I'm not too concerned about that.

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
denim doctors and htc. im not sure if they have one in nyc though...but the one in la does a ******* amazing job. they have altered several pairs of my pbjs (tapering the leg) as well as other misc reinforcements of sorts. highly recommended.

edit: i bet the earnest store in ny might alter those for you too...

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
Any competent tailor can do a slimming. If it's not selvedge, it's even easier.

B^2

Reaction score
how much should I expect to pay for a slimming?

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
if they do it from the crotch maybe $50-$60 or so. from the knee maybe $30 or there about. but these might be somewhat dated prices. the last time dd/htc did a alteration like that for me was a year or two ago. call em and ask. there super cool, in my experience.

pseudonym

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry to bump an old thread, but I've searched this forum.

Does anybody know of a denim tailor who can taper and chainstitch? The tailors I go to don't have a chainstitch machine.

Thanks.

lambretta76

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a good place for hemming selvage denim? I know that's not a big job, but I've just never been all too thrilled with places I've gone in the past (always fine, never great) and I've got a couple of jeans ready to go in. South Brooklyn/Downtown or Lower Manhattan preferred.

nycxandy

Reaction score

Can anyone recommend a good place for hemming selvage denim? I know that's not a big job, but I've just never been all too thrilled with places I've gone in the past (always fine, never great) and I've got a couple of jeans ready to go in. South Brooklyn/Downtown or Lower Manhattan preferred.

Self Edge NY

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads