Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Denim Tailor in NYC?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by B^2, Nov 11, 2010.

1. B^2

B^2 Senior member

I know there are several threads on tailors for suits etc in nyc, and stores who do chain-stitching for jeans but I'm looking for some more current information on a tailor that can make the legs of my jeans a little slimmer. Right now they seem to be a boot cut and I'd love to go for more of a slim straight leg type look. I got them at earnest sewn but I don't see anything on their website about tailoring. I'd prefer to go to someone who either specializes in denim or has a solid amount of experience in it. If I have another pair of jeans that I like the fit of, should I take those in so they can try and match up the measurements of the legs? I know the rise and those things will be different but I'm not too concerned about that.

2. whatever123

whatever123 Senior member

denim doctors and htc. im not sure if they have one in nyc though...but the one in la does a fucking amazing job. they have altered several pairs of my pbjs (tapering the leg) as well as other misc reinforcements of sorts. highly recommended.

edit: i bet the earnest store in ny might alter those for you too...

3. nahneun

nahneun Uncle Nephew

Any competent tailor can do a slimming. If it's not selvedge, it's even easier.

4. B^2

B^2 Senior member

how much should I expect to pay for a slimming?

5. whatever123

if they do it from the crotch maybe $50-$60 or so. from the knee maybe $30 or there about. but these might be somewhat dated prices. the last time dd/htc did a alteration like that for me was a year or two ago. call em and ask. there super cool, in my experience.

6. pseudonym

pseudonym Senior member

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I've searched this forum.

Does anybody know of a denim tailor who can taper and chainstitch? The tailors I go to don't have a chainstitch machine.

Thanks.

7. whatever123

maybe look up a few posts. ^

8. lambretta76

lambretta76 Active Member

Can anyone recommend a good place for hemming selvage denim? I know that's not a big job, but I've just never been all too thrilled with places I've gone in the past (always fine, never great) and I've got a couple of jeans ready to go in. South Brooklyn/Downtown or Lower Manhattan preferred.

9. nycxandy

nycxandy Senior member

Self Edge NY

Last edited: Oct 5, 2013