• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Denim repair...by mail?

blackplatano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a few pairs of jeans that desperately need repairs due to holes, lost stitching, crotch issues, etc. I did a search and found some information about Denim Doctors and LAguy said something about context.

Questions.

What's the deal with context and DD? How's the quality and price of repairs?
Are there any other places that I can shipped my jeans to and get them fixed nicely?
Any information is appreciated.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blackplatano
I have a few pairs of jeans that desperately need repairs due to holes, lost stitching, crotch issues, etc. I did a search and found some information about Denim Doctors and LAguy said something about context.

Questions.

What's the deal with context and DD? How's the quality and price of repairs?
Are there any other places that I can shipped my jeans to and get them fixed nicely?
Any information is appreciated.

I have seen some of the work that Context does (on denim and on other things as well), and it is pretty well done. Of course, if you have a disintegrated crotch, you cannot expect that the jeans will look brand new - but if you like the live in look, Context does do a good job.

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kiya please correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember reading a while back that Self Edge does repairs for certain brands they carry, not sure if they only do it for jeans purchased in-store or what though. I think that if you're talking about a Japanese pair using some kind of very special denim (like Flat Head 3XXX or Iron Heart 21oz selvage) they should be the first people you contact.

Jay-D

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
We are in the process of launching full repair services for any denim and we can accept jobs as of right now. Below are a few examples of some work. Charge is $20 for 4" square and $3 for each additional inch plus any shipping. We are using interfacing or denim backing depending upon the type of repair. Each repair job is a little different so we can give exact quotes. For quotes or more information, pm or e-mail directly to me.

Regular Ralph Dry Greycast Crotch Repair - - courtesy of JesseJB

Reg Ralph Hem Recreation (same as above) - - the match looks better in person

Mr. Olive repair under back left pocket - - this is one of my pairs

Mr. Olive repair on front right pocket (different pair than above) - - Just happen to be wearing right now, sorry no before shot. This pair was designed with a small damaged detail and I carry keys in this pocket and one day it ripped straight up. This repair is bullet proof now.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
denim doctors is the best at this. they are also the most expensive

blackplatano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
I have seen some of the work that Context does (on denim and on other things as well), and it is pretty well done. Of course, if you have a disintegrated crotch, you cannot expect that the jeans will look brand new - but if you like the live in look, Context does do a good job.

Guess I'll contact Context.
Do you know of there places?

Originally Posted by Atsui
We are in the process of launching full repair services for any denim and we can accept jobs as of right now. Below are a few examples of some work. Charge is $20 for 4" square and $3 for each additional inch plus any shipping. We are using interfacing or denim backing depending upon the type of repair. Each repair job is a little different so we can give exact quotes. For quotes or more information, pm or e-mail directly to me.

Regular Ralph Dry Greycast Crotch Repair - - courtesy of JesseJB

Reg Ralph Hem Recreation (same as above) - - the match looks better in person

Mr. Olive repair under back left pocket - - this is one of my pairs

Mr. Olive repair on front right pocket (different pair than above) - - Just happen to be wearing right now, sorry no before shot. This pair was designed with a small damaged detail and I carry keys in this pocket and one day it ripped straight up. This repair is bullet proof now.

Looks good. What's your price and turn around time?

Originally Posted by Teger
denim doctors is the best at this. they are also the most expensive

Price? That's all I here about them, but no details. What do you know about them?

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
I sent a pair of jeans to have a crotch reinforcement and a chainstitch hemming and it cost me $60 (including return shipping)

you send them the jeans and they will quote you a price (including return shipping) after examining the damage

the area that had been torn and the worn area around it were totally reinforced and replaced, impossible to notice the difference unless you are an inch away

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jay what kind of denimz do you use to patch up the holes in our jeans?
eh.gif

who8mahrice

Reaction score
I got a repair job at Atsui. Very happy with the result as the patches don't seem like they'll be ripping anytime soon. Might need to get another repair on the very middle...it's gotten pretty thin compared to when this photo was taken.
3328857724_a06ce6e381.jpg

Shorty Long

Reaction score
Do you have a dry cleaners nearby? See if they have a tailor...I take my LVCs to the local guy and he's pretty damn good...a hell of a lot cheaper than these places too.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blackplatano
Anybody has experience with this? http://denimtherapy.com/
Yes. I had the crotch repaired on a pair of 2 year-old APCs. It looks very like the picture posted above of the Atsui repair - i.e., the hole was patched with what looks like interfacing and then extensively over-woven. The jeans were darker, so the patch is less visible. It cost me $50 including return shipping to repair two 2" holes.

Jay-D

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TyCooN
Jay what kind of denimz do you use to patch up the holes in our jeans?
eh.gif

Depends upon the denim being repaired. Most times interfacing does the job. If it needs a denim backing or reconstruction, we will try to use the closest match. For example, the pics below of Jesse's denim of Nudie Drycast we used Nudie Drycast denim to reconstruct the hem and Nudie thread. For most part, we have the matching thread or something slightly better (heavier weight) than the original thread used and we have a close or identical match for most denimz. If we do not have an exact match, we will let you know before doing the job. This may be a case by case scenerio.

Jay-D

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Ben, AKA teger, sent us a denim we carried nearly 2 years ago to do some repair work. The fades were incredible, so I wanted to show a few pics and show the repairs. Take a look at our blog to see a bit more.

ben1.jpg
ben2.jpg

ben7.jpg
ben8.jpg

Denim is the Sugar Cane SEXSC06 - worn 18 months, 5 washes, 3 hot soaks
ben3.jpg
ben4.jpg

First we reinforced the crotch using fleece inter-facing which is soft and holds up well to washing and wear.
ben5.jpg
ben6.jpg

Second, we reconstructed the yolk also using fleece inter-facing. We used the Union Special and a lock-stitch machine along the yolk.

Check our latest blog post to see more photos of Ben's denim at http://blueowlworkshop.blogspot.com/...ugar-cane.html.[/quote]

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads