• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Denim leg twist thoughts...

Stewie

Reaction score
so I posted in the APC thread about my new jeans showing a leg twist. And I was suprised to get a couple replies that just plain say i need to live with it. Do you guys really just plunk down $200+ for jeans and if the leg twists just think its all okay?

This is a defect when it was cut and sewn together. (Not cut on the bias properly would be my guess)
If they can do it on one leg why would I just accept the other leg twisting and think that itis just part of the denim culture.

And I have seen this on Levis and taken them back and they have said it was a defect in the manufacturing process.

Btw, I really was asking more about Barneys return policy without a receipt and just the CC bill.

D

.Impulsv

Reaction score
Has it been explained to you that leg twist in an inherent quality of denim? It's a twill, which is weaved with a diagonal thread, and when washed, it shrinks along the diagonal a bit.

I'm personally fine with it. On my LVCs, the selvage line on one leg almost faces forward, about 11 'o clock.

Last edited:

zhouyu

Reaction score
PC shows very minimal leg twist anyway... **** is sanforized....

if you dont like the leg twist, then buy broken twill.....

Last edited:

Lane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i only buy jeans with extreme twisting action

Stewie

Reaction score
Suprisingly so far, 4 different reasons have been explained to me why this pair of jeans have done the leg twist. I've spent decent money on jeans before, but have only had this issue happen to me once before on a cheap pair of Levis and took them back for replacements. I just find it curious that it seems as if everyone has decided it's just what happens to denim.

D.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score

Suprisingly so far, 4 different reasons have been explained to me why this pair of jeans have done the leg twist. I've spent decent money on jeans before, but have only had this issue happen to me once before on a cheap pair of Levis and took them back for replacements. I just find it curious that it seems as if everyone has decided it's just what happens to denim.
D.

Probably because it is. Some specific types of denim are notorious for twisting, other times you can have five people and only one complains of a twist. It has little to do with whether or not the jeans are sanforized because it's not exclusive to unsanforized jeans.

Whoever told you or however you reached the conclusion that it's a cut & sew issue, you might want to do some research. A sales associate at Levi's telling you that it's a "manufacture's defect" isn't research.

Stewie

Reaction score

Probably because it is. Some specific types of denim are notorious for twisting, other times you can have five people and only one complains of a twist. It has little to do with whether or not the jeans are sanforized because it's not exclusive to unsanforized jeans.
Whoever told you or however you reached the conclusion that it's a cut & sew issue, you might want to do some research. A sales associate at Levi's telling you that it's a "manufacture's defect" isn't research.

I appreciate the feedback whodini. The conclusion on the sewing part of it came from my own observation on these jeans and how the thread lines run and how one leg compares to the other at the seams. Now I'm not saying that this is the exclusive reason for leg twists but at least in this case it might be. As for the Levi's person, I was just returning due to the twist..they made no mention of the cut, but gladly took them back as a defect.

I just would think that returning them would be the thought on someone's mind when this happened, but from what I gathered here it's a "fashin statement". My OCD kicked in on this one so it not showing the same on both legs is why I asked.

I'm gonna try to return them to Barney's so I'll see what happens with the next pair if they let me swap them out!

D.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score

I appreciate the feedback whodini. The conclusion on the sewing part of it came from my own observation on these jeans and how the thread lines run and how one leg compares to the other at the seams. Now I'm not saying that this is the exclusive reason for leg twists but at least in this case it might be. As for the Levi's person, I was just returning due to the twist..they made no mention of the cut, but gladly took them back as a defect.
I just would think that returning them would be the thought on someone's mind when this happened, but from what I gathered here it's a "fashin statement". My OCD kicked in on this one so it not showing the same on both legs is why I asked.
I'm gonna try to return them to Barney's so I'll see what happens with the next pair if they let me swap them out!
D.

You better stop buying raw jeans in that case unless you're happy with returning products as "defected" when there's no assurance that the next pair won't act the same way later down the line after several wears or a wash.

So far, you're the only person calling the leg twist a "fashin statment" here, not the people who have had this happen and openly accept it. I don't cry over spilled milk, nor do I complain about getting blue hands as being a factory defect. I'm not trying to poke fun, I'm trying to make you realize that your OCD is somewhat ridiculous considering your choice of apparel. It simply comes with the territory. Hopefully, you'll run into a sales associate who will put that into perspective for you when you try to return your next pair.

Pablo-T

Reaction score
LEg twist is an inherent condition of loom state, raw denim which is cut straight (ie along the selvage). It was programmed out of jeans in the 70s onwards, with a technique called preskew. And jeans produced in the 70s were generally crappy quality. For that reason, people into ring-ring or selvage denim like leg twist - it's a bit like the scars in aniline leather, it's a flaw that shows the inherent quality.

More info:
http://www.trynka.net/trynka.net/Glossary.html

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads