• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Denim Jackets

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
^^^^^ yea it's referred to as a Type I jacket. Levis made a repro of it last season, same style just cheaper denim (the LVC denim is selvedge and very rigid when new). It was only $70 or so and a good buy at that price. A few of the Japanese repro brands have also made a version, tho my friends who have the Japanese ones feel the LVC is still the best one.

gforce

Reaction score
I have the APC denim jacket and a Nudie Conny in black............love both of them.

ataru

Reaction score
How does sizing work on the LVC denim jackets? They're shrink to fit right?

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ataru
How does sizing work on the LVC denim jackets? They're shrink to fit right?
My LVC denim jacket is shrink to fit. I sized up one.

mongo615

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
^^^^^ yea it's referred to as a Type I jacket. Levis made a repro of it last season, same style just cheaper denim (the LVC denim is selvedge and very rigid when new). It was only $70 or so and a good buy at that price. A few of the Japanese repro brands have also made a version, tho my friends who have the Japanese ones feel the LVC is still the best one.

I just bought one of the Type 1 repros at my neighborhood Levi's Store---$19.99. They had it on the Levisstore.com site for $28.98, but they sold out of the raw. I would have bought it at the $70 price, but it's definitely a good deal at $19.99
biggrin.gif

dougie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mongo615
I just bought one of the Type 1 repros at my neighborhood Levi's Store---$19.99. They had it on the Levisstore.com site for $28.98, but they sold out of the raw. I would have bought it at the $70 price, but it's definitely a good deal at $19.99
biggrin.gif

yeah, i got the same deal on it. i don't know how much i'll wear it but for $20 i couldn't pass it up. i waxed it, which made it a good deal cooler and more useful.

truestorytravis

Reaction score
dougie, can you please elaborate on the waxing? I bought the same jacket and that sounds like an interesting way to spice it up.

dougie

Reaction score
sure. i bought it basically to **** with. first i gave it a hot soak, which made it shed a good deal of indigo. next, i attempted my own green tea overdye (which somebody here has done before, souper i think) which had little to no effect. i like to think it has a greencast now, but that's just cause i know what i did to it.

i did the actual waxing with filson's. i'd have loved to have made my own compound and done it correctly (there's a guy on sufu who took a crack at this) but i live in brooklyn and have zero access to private outdoor space. i didn't want to burn down my apartment or suffocate in my bathroom, so, filson's. i applied it with an old sock and the whole operation took probably 45 minutes to an hour. i spent another half hour going over it with a hairdryer, then let it hang overnight. one tin of filson's wax was enough for the whole jacket.

the results aren't mindblowing but it's definitely cooler than before i did it. it was raining a bit today so i gave it a whirl and it worked well to block the rain and wind. i can post pics tomorrow if you're interested in seeing them.

truestorytravis

Reaction score
The sizing on that NdG jacket is also kind of weird, it's very small. The largest size isn't much over 20 inches in the chest. Kind of a shame.

dougie, did you wax the collar of that jacket? I was thinking that you might get your neck all waxy.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is there a denim jacket that has a vintage style to it that runs long? I am 6' 2" with a long torso and 35" arms. They all seem to run short in the body.

truestorytravis

Reaction score
pocketsquareguy, you could try an engineer's jacket. Engineered Garments makes them in black and blue denims (I think) this season, but I don't know if there are any US stockists for them. Many Japanese companies also make this style of jacket. You could try browsing rakuten.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads