• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

L.R.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at picking up a denim jacket in the coming weeks, but frankly, I have little experience with them. I'll probably stick to Levi, (unless I find a rag & bone or nudie I like), but I find them somewhat boxy.

Does anyone have any experience getting denim jackets tailored? I expect it's a lot more rare than suits or shirts. Is it even possible to get a jacket slimmed down significantly, without it ending up looking like crap?

UrbanAesthetics

Reaction score
I would stick to a old vintage Denim Jacket rather than a brand new one only because theirs already age to it. If you insist in buying a new one, go for the classic Levi Denim Jacket. Remember that the Denim Jacket is arguably the most versatile jacket you'll ever buy. Period! Check out my posts on Denim Jackets at my blog!
http://urbanaesthetics.tumblr.com/

Jared7

Reaction score
The key with denim jackets is wearing them in. They feel a bit stiff to begin with but with age and wear they really start to look good.

L.R.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I enjoy the dark denim of the new ones. As for fit, I've got a build that doesn't allow OTR to go
un-tailored.

I have a 8 inch drop or so, and am lean/muscled, but my shoulders aren't particularly wide. (I.e: a 38 jacket fits my shoulders well, but I require the chest of a 40 jacket. And then I have 32 pants). I'm left with something snug in the shoulders, tight in the chest, and ballooning by the time it hits my waist.

L.R.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He hasn't been horrible...

But back to the question, anyone with some help in this matter? I love denim jackets, but I abhor the blousey look.

wEstSidE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by UrbanAesthetics
I would stick to a old vintage Denim Jacket rather than a brand new one only because theirs already age to it. If you insist in buying a new one, go for the classic Levi Denim Jacket. Remember that the Denim Jacket is arguably the most versatile jacket you'll ever buy. Period! Check out my posts on Denim Jackets at my blog!
http://urbanaesthetics.tumblr.com/

i dont like you

ataru

Reaction score
The denim jackets of Japanese brands such as Samurai would most likely fit you; they tend to have narrower shoulders than American brand jackets. A guy with broader shoulders can still wear them but then the sleeves often end up too short.

Also, from personal experience, the fairly recent non-lvc levi repros of the type 1 jacket have narrow shoulders and a somewhat roomy chest.

The only kind of tailoring that I could see working with a denim jacket would be to slim the sleeves, and I still don't know if I'd recommend it.

nsimp

Reaction score
Levi's or, don't hate me, Gap. I just recently bought a Gap denim jacket TTS and it fits like a ******* charm. Slim fit and everything.

somatoform

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by UrbanAesthetics
Remember that the Denim Jacket is arguably the most versatile jacket you'll ever buy. Period!

That's a pretty big "arguably". In fact, a denim jacket isn't really all that versatile. If it's a washed out vintage it doesn't look all that great with new dark denim. If it's dark it will look ok with darker and lighter denim but that really depends. And if it's dark or light it will look good with non-denim. At any rate, I'm pretty sure that it's far less versatile than wool, other variations of cotton or leather. Hell, m-65, m-51, or m-43 military surplus jackets are alot more versatile than denim jackets.

Originally Posted by L.R.
But back to the question, anyone with some help in this matter? I love denim jackets, but I abhor the blousey look.

That said, I do love my yellow-line selvage MIJ RRL denim jacket, and it is definitely blousy (and too short), but I don't care much for three reasons:

1. I wear it best layered under another jacket so don't care

2. worn as the exterior, I layer a sweater under, so that blousiness works in my favor

3. Even if I wanted too I could not take it in at the waist because it has hip pockets on either side. Taking it in would bring the pockets to touch the side seam, totally destroying it.

But, yeah, I just checked the seam and I could take it in if I wanted to so you should be able to do the same to any jacket, assuming it doesn't have hip pockets, only chest pockets like a classic levis trucker 50507. I imagine it would be a ***** for the tailor to do though, and you would have to cut a seam into the waist band.

Maybe if you look at the (slimmer) pricy Japanese brands like Samurai, IH, etc. waist blousiness will be less of an issue (like ataru said).

happy hooligan

Reaction score
Levi's are boxy also. Especially a type 3 trucker.

I"d suggest going with a classic Lee 101. They're not boxy like levi's and more "tailored" than Levi's. an old Wrangler is actually a mix of the two depending on the model you get.

But if you do have narrow shoulders, maybe a Japanese knockoff might be better for your build.

Try them on for sure. I'd suggest vintage, as they're just better in my eye, especially a Big E Levi's.

You can find one for 50 or under on ebay. Maybe go with a size 40 as they'll be a vintage size 40 so it will be closer to the 38, but since since Levi's are boxy they might help in the chest fit for you.

Go to a vintage shop and try on a vintage Lee and Levi's and see which one fits the best.

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite style of coat for winter? Choose up to 3

• Peacoat

• Great coat

• Trench

• Mac

• Chesterfield

• Duffle coat

• Topcoat

• Shearling

• Balmacaan

• Parka