• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Denim jacket: dark jacket / light jeans versus light jacket / dark jeans

Brigden

Reaction score
Rather than sport the Canadian Tuxedo, I'd like to wear a contrasting denim jacket with jeans. Which scenario looks best / least objectionable:

Dark denim jacket / light jeans...

... or...

Light denim jacket / dark jeans...

Keep in mind, light and dark are not extremes.

Thoughts?

nastyandy

Reaction score
I always went by the rule that when mixing denim, the jacket should be darker than the jeans. However, I think when the hues are close it does not matter so much.

headtowall

Reaction score
I think it's better with the jacket darker than the jeans, personally.

cheapmutha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
dcfc0035ns5.jpg
i like my jacket lighter, but its just because the jacket i like is a lighter indigo color than any of my jeans. im sure it would look great with some beat redlines.

ang_kangkong

Reaction score
I've seen it worn all sorts of ways, there was a thread about it in sf. It all looked good. Even light/light. Although, I read somewhere (VICE, I think) that at a party, the guy wearing light/light is gonna be a hella good drinker.

I think that the associations of it being workwear are pretty much gone, especially if you live in the city.

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you look at what MC says about odd jackets and trousers, they'd definitely tell you to contrast light and dark. They'd also go for dark jacket and light trousers the majority of the time, but that might just be due to the ubiquity of navy and charcoal...?

Bandwagonesque

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cheap is doing the textbook example of how to pull it off without looking like a hoser. Are those the Grifters?

cultpop 0217

I, Manface
Reaction score
agreed. cheap pulls off the texas tux like no other.

personally i think it looks best when the bottoms are darker, although there are always exceptions to this.

cheapmutha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bandwagonesque
Cheap is doing the textbook example of how to pull it off without looking like a hoser. Are those the Grifters?
yep... those are some almost brand new grifters.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The only combination that is virtually doomed to failure is light blue jeans (think 1980's) with a blue denim jacket. Lighter on top tends to work more easily, but since the jacket generally shouldn't be buttoned indoors, the shirt underneath a dark jacket can be the focal point. Remember that the focal point should always draw attention to the face.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads