• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Denim in Australia

beefcake

Reaction score
J. Lindeberg is a brat slash golf wear brand. I'd personally never wear JL, even if they made decent looking clothes, wich they don't.

I agree with LA Guy, Acne jeans lack in quality to match their price tag. Nudie's a safer bet. I have zero experience with Filippa K...

Babar

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
I you like that clean, Scandanavian aesthetic, I think that Acne and filippa K are pretty good bets. They are pretty reasonably priced in Sweden, and ridiculously priced in the US, and I suppose, Australia (although I don't really know.) J. Lindebergy is popular too, but I can't really stand that stuff. I dislike Acne jeans, but their clothing is decent. filippa K makes solid clothing as well, but I think that Nudie jeans are far better than those of any of these three other companies.

Filippa K can be very up and down in quality, much more so than Acne. A zip-hood I got a while back--my mistake purchase of the year--turned out to be on par with something one would expect from H&M, as it shrank and lost its shape after just a few washes. They do make some decent v-necks and cardigans though, but I wouldn't touch their jeans. Acne, while being more expensive, generally makes much better stuff ime--they also use Riri for their zippers
inlove.gif
. I don't have a single J.Lindeberg garment.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Babar
Filippa K can be very up and down in quality, much more so than Acne. A zip-hood I got a while back--my mistake purchase of the year--turned out to be on par with something one would expect from H&M, as it shrank and lost its shape after just a few washes. They do make some decent v-necks and cardigans though, but I wouldn't touch their jeans. Acne, while being more expensive, generally makes much better stuff ime--they also use Riri for their zippers
inlove.gif
. I don't have a single J.Lindeberg garment.

I find the opposite. Acne has good design, but I find the execution of their pieces is hit and miss. I have both Acne and filippa K hoodies, and find that the filippa K is just as well designed, and better constructed, riri zippers or not.

And I find that Acne Jeans really don't live up to their hype. For the money, Nudie is a much better buy. All ime, of course.

Babar

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
I find the opposite. Acne has good design, but I find the execution of their pieces is hit and miss. I have both Acne and filippa K hoodies, and find that the filippa K is just as well designed, and better constructed, riri zippers or not.
That's interesting. My acne imagine has definitely held up a lot better than the filippa, despite the Acne getting much more wear (both are from ss 06). Well, I might give them a second chance come sales time as I need a pullover hoodie
smile.gif

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Babar
That's interesting. Well, my acne imagine has definitely held up a lot better than the filippa, despite the Acne getting much more wear (both are from ss 06). I might give them a second chance come sales time as I need a pullover hoodie
smile.gif

My fillippa K is definitely holding out a lot better than my Acne Mats hoodie...

Wade M

Reaction score
Nudies @ DJ's in the city are about $300 a pair......They didn't get discounted in the sales that are currently on..

Jil Sanders, Miu Miu and Helmut Lang all did, however, drop in price.....

--Wade

swooc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wade M
Nudies @ DJ's in the city are about $300 a pair......They didn't get discounted in the sales that are currently on..

Jil Sanders, Miu Miu and Helmut Lang all did, however, drop in price.....

--Wade

Did you see any regular ralfs dry there?

medtech_expat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was at the Nudie store in Paddington a few weeks ago. Not sure if this is accurate, but the sales guy told me that it was the only Nudie store in the world. They appeared to carry the full range, and I had to try on about four different sizes before I went for my first RRDS... A$300+. Staff was incredibly helpful, so if you're pondering a visit call ahead to check size availability.

Some interesting news... the guy also mentioned a new style coming out imminently. Don't remember the name as it's supposed to be on the extreme slim side.

Nick M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by medtech_expat
Not sure if this is accurate, but the sales guy told me that it was the only Nudie store in the world.
Considering that there's another Nudie store as close as Melbourne, I think he was probably telling porky pies.

I don't know if they still do it, but when I bought my RRs in Melbourne, the salesguy showed me a pair of his really well-worn jeans (2 years, 2 washes etc.) that he had lying around in the store. I come back a week or so later, and a different salesguy pointed out 'his' jeans - which were, of course, the same pair.

Originally Posted by medtech_expat
Some interesting news... the guy also mentioned a new style coming out imminently. Don't remember the name as it's supposed to be on the extreme slim side.
Could be Long John, or Thin Finn if it's not out already.

swooc

Reaction score
Does anyone in sydney know of a good tailor that does chainstitching for hemming?

swooc

Reaction score
For those who are interested, i found some ralph lauren selvedge jeans on sale for $120 at DJ in Castle Hill (Sydney). They have pre-shaped whiskas, but the overall colour is still dark blue (sort of like cultpops JRs). I didn't try them on, but they look quite slim.

Was quite suprised to see them there. Don't know if other DJs have them though.

Wade M

Reaction score
Miranda didn't; I checked :p Haven't gotten into the city, would be too late now I'd imagine.

Nice find BTW!

--Wade

swooc

Reaction score
Spotted more selvedge denim in castle hill david jones for anyone whos interested. They are Calvin Kleins, $160 quite cheap imo. Backpockets have stitching similar to the true religion logo. The overall fit is a straight leg hi-rise, looks similar to straight svens. The denim is similar to nudies and apc selvedge denim. The white part of the denim (i think its called the weft im not sure) has a brownish tint.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads